• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Upcoming adventure games you’re REALLY excited about

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Pyoro-2 - 18 November 2020 03:35 PM

Either people here are way more excitable than I am or they’re listing everything they are even vaguely interested in Wink

Anyway. None.

No, I’m really excited for all of those. I left the ones that I’m just going to buy along the way off the list. I just don’t play much else these days. Somehow I’m tired of the combat roleplaying games right now, and I’ve never been much of an action gamer.
There’s always stuff like Stardew Valley, but adventure games are my favourite genre.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Pyoro-2 - 18 November 2020 03:35 PM

Either people here are way more excitable than I am or they’re listing everything they are even vaguely interested in Wink

Well, perhaps “games you’re REALLY excited about” was too much of an hyperbole by the OP, with CAPS and all that, and by that definition absolutely no computer game gets me that excited.

But if that was just a figure of speech to get the discussion going, then at least it worked. Personally I really am waiting to play everything I mentioned, there are also some games on my lists that I actually don’t wait that much, if at all, but which of course can turn out to be surprise gems.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

GateKeeper - 18 November 2020 05:33 PM

Well, perhaps “games you’re REALLY excited about” was too much of an hyperbole by the OP, with CAPS and all that, and by that definition absolutely no computer game gets me that excited.

But if that was just a figure of speech to get the discussion going, then at least it worked. Personally I really am waiting to play everything I mentioned, there are also some games on my lists that I actually don’t wait that much, if at all, but which of course can turn out to be surprise gems.

Just wanted to get the discussion going. There are couple of hundreds of upcoming adventures I’d like to check out. I only listed 17 of them, so yes - I’m quite excited about them coming out, but it’s more along the lines of “following development closely” or “buying on the first day” excitement rather then “jumping up and down with maniacal laughter” excitement.  Smile

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

DCast - 18 November 2020 06:02 PM
GateKeeper - 18 November 2020 05:33 PM

Just wanted to get the discussion going. There are couple of hundreds of upcoming adventures I’d like to check out. I only listed 17 of them, so yes - I’m quite excited about them coming out, but it’s more along the lines of “following development closely” or “buying on the first day” excitement rather then “jumping up and down with maniacal laughter” excitement.  Smile

Isn’t it like this for all of us? It’s not like I couldn’t sleep of excitement for those games, but I know that I want to play them when they’re out. If they ever are released. There’s always a bit of loss along the way.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I can’t wait for “The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes” - this should be their best game yet.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

DCast - 18 November 2020 12:15 AM

It would be very interesting to know what are the Editor-in-Chief’s most anticipated games.  Wink

Honestly, I find it hard to even remember. I deal with so many games every week/month/year that they all just start melding together in my brain. Crazy I’ll announce a new game that I think looks very good, and before long it’s lost in the haze again.

It’s also hard to get too excited about anything when I so rarely have time to play a game start to finish anymore. I’ll play demos and dabble in lots of games to fact check reviews or take screenshots, but I often end up abandoning games I really want to finish. I loved STASIS, for example, so I’m really happy to see a sequel coming… and yet I still haven’t even played CAYNE or Beautiful Desolation.

That said, apart from the biggies on our Hype-o-Meter (a list I maintain, though I try not to make it just a list of my personal interests), certainly a few mentioned here appeal to me as well: 3 Minutes to Midnight, Framing Dawes, Watch Over Christmas (who doesn’t like Christmas games? Grin), Encodya, and Trip the Ark Fantastic look great.

Of those I’m not seeing here at a glance, I’d include:

A Juggler’s Tale
TOHU
The Forgotten City
Brassheart
Season of the Warlock
Harold Halibut
Growbot
KAPIA
Prim
Nine Noir Lives

There are more, but that’s all I can think of without doing a deep dive of everthing on our upcoming releases calendar.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Jackal - 19 November 2020 12:11 AM

Season of the Warlock
Harold Halibut
Prim

I’m not following these closely, but I had a feeling all three of those became stagnant at some point. Season of the Warlock looks especially interesting to me, but I all but wrote them off at this point. I suppose it’s not over if you still naming them as highly anticipated Wink

And, yes, I’m hoping for the Brassheart to turn out good!

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Adv_Lvr - 18 November 2020 08:46 PM

I can’t wait for “The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes” - this should be their best game yet.

Heart

I got the feeling those are “more movies than games” kind of titles for some reason. Would you say if that’s the general vibe since you tried them?

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

DCast - 19 November 2020 11:50 AM

I’m not following these closely, but I had a feeling all three of those became stagnant at some point. Season of the Warlock looks especially interesting to me, but I all but wrote them off at this point. I suppose it’s not over if you still naming them as highly anticipated Wink

I’ve seen games I thought looked solid end up dying of neglect, and I’ve seen games I’d all but written off suddenly revived and already close to the finish line, so never say never. But also never be too confident. Wink

I’m fairly sure Season of the Warlock hasn’t been abandoned, just taking a long time. The PRIM devs were showing the demo off at last year’s (2019) gamescom, though their silence since suggests they may have been pitching it for a publishing partner. Eerily quiet on the Harold Halibut front, but claymation games do take forever, and it is being developed by the Slow Bros. Grin And German games, more so than most countries, seem to have a better chance at finding financial support, so there’s that.

My list wasn’t really based on a high-confidence basis, though. Just games I remember really struck me as promising that I hope do get completed.

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

DCast - 19 November 2020 11:50 AM
Jackal - 19 November 2020 12:11 AM

Season of the Warlock
Harold Halibut
Prim

And, yes, I’m hoping for the Brassheart to turn out good!

Prim’s Twitter account is active, so the developers are still working on it.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Jackal - 19 November 2020 12:20 PM

and it is being developed by the Slow Bros.

Ah yes, that explains it : )

My list wasn’t really based on a high-confidence basis, though. Just games I remember really struck me as promising that I hope do get completed.

Same here. Lancelot’s Hangover was one of those I gave up on, although I really like the demo. And - boom! - it came out after all these years in a relatively slow development, so there’s always hope.

There are quite a few games here, in AG database, that have been in “upcoming” for years, and I still sort of, kind of, somewhat hope their development will come to fruition.

It is also probably fairly difficult to confirm that game was, indeed, abandoned.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

LittleRose - 19 November 2020 01:03 PM

Prim’s Twitter account is active, so the developers are still working on it.

That’s good to know! I suppose I’m having a hard time with developers being on different platforms (or having a dedicated site like in the case of Prim), and then only proceeding to be active on one/very few of those. Just makes it harder to track their progress.
I’d rather for dev to have only Twitter and then update it constantly.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Surprised nobody’s mentioned Call of the Sea, now that I’ve looked more closely at what people posted, giving how many are listed and how it looks to be of decent production value - and release is not too far of either.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1042490/Call_of_the_Sea/

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Pyoro-2 - 20 November 2020 06:59 AM

Surprised nobody’s mentioned Call of the Sea, now that I’ve looked more closely at what people posted, giving how many are listed and how it looks to be of decent production value - and release is not too far of either.

It is on my wishlist, but I am not at all excited about it.
Who knows, maybe it will be a good game, but the description doesn’t fully connect with me.

I prefer third person adventures, it seems to be first person.
I prefer point-and-click, which it presumably isn’t going to be.
I prefer pixel art, cartoon style, or some very unique graphical thing, it looks like a generic 3D, so nothing that in itself would be worth checking out.

The plot description, okay, can be good I guess, but again it’s not something that would captivate me.

And lastly, I don’t think the developers have anything to show of their past works (at least nothing shows up on Steam), so there’s nothing that could build an expectation factor there.

Compare that to, let’s say, Darkside Detective 2.
It’s a third person point-and-click game with unique graphics, unique plot, the first game by the same developers was brilliant, so that’s very high on my list.

Fortunately I can play all kind of games, from text-only adventures to 3D hybrids, so I don’t count any game out before giving them a try. But, if you are asking why people aren’t excited, to me Call of the Sea is “just a game”, until the devs prove me wrong and I find myself playing a masterpiece.

BTW, there’s something to be excited about now!
Shenmue III Epic exclusive period is over now, and surprisingly the game showed up DRM-free on GOG too.
In case somebody considers that an adventure.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Games I’m really excited about:
Firmament by Cyan - not nearly finished though, will have wait for at least another year
Council of Crows by Jonas Kyratzes, one of my alltime favorite developers - been in the making for god knows how long, but one day it will be released
12 Minutes - an interactive thriller about a man trapped in a time loop; the moment I watched the trailer I knew I wanted to play this game, and not just because I love time travel/loops

Games I’m interested in:
Project A by Sam Barlow - anything he develops is worth checking out
The Murder Mystery Machine - deduction Smile
The Drifter - attractive art style and I liked what I saw of the demo on youtube

EDIT: I’ll add Stray to my wish list. Hadn’t heard of it, but thanks to this thread I have and it looks very good.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top