• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

GabrielKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New 3DS announced

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Nintendo announced a new version of the 3DS to be released this year in Japan and 2015 in rest of world:
Has normal and XL version

Features:
- second stick (little stick button)
- more buttons on top and SNES-style coloured buttons
- better battery (up to 7h)
- compatibility with microSDCard
- browser improved, now works with HTML5
- CPU improved and better looking 3D
- you can switch designs now - various covers
- will have exclusive games for this new version - first one announced is Xenoblade Chronicles (the Wii game)

Looks like a better version of the 3DS like DSi was to the DS. Don’t now if it will worth the upgrade for owners of the older version but probably better to wait anyone wanting a 3DS (although the release date is still far away).

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Sounds like softlaunch for new hardware, that extra CPU and stick centric exclusives games
will eventually push Ninty fans, in near future.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Horrible naming/branding, sure to create consumer confusion. Looks just like the old hardware, sounds just like the old hardware, plays new games.

I haven’t touched my 3DS in months so I can’t imagine jumping on this real soon, but maybe if some big titles come out down the line.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree about the horrible branding but I think they will change to the West (or not…).
Also agree about the lack of releases for the 3DS, not a lot this year and no interesting stuf until the end of year (don’t care about Smash Bros).
Hopefully this new hardware brings more games for the 3DS, only one I look forward now is the new Phoenix Wright.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

The idea that theres going to be a class of major releases that only this version of the system plays bugs me a lot. The exclusives on the dsi were generally only those that used the new camera features, or the digital store which the ds did not have. This is like its half of a next-gen console, and who knows how much they will focus on supporting the new 3ds versus.. the old one. For me it already feels like the release support for the 3ds has really tapered off.. Releases are few and ones i care about far fewer. So now even that number gets further divided into this “new” system.. and nintendo would like me to buy a whole new version of the system so that maybe their release selection will get as good as it should have been for the system iv already bought….. no thanks!

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

If I’ve heard right, there’s still no charger included with this…

You just have to laugh at Nintendo’s decisions sometimes don’t you.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

zane - 30 August 2014 12:04 PM

This is like its half of a next-gen console,

This is what i meant by softlaunch, some given audience will buy it as a test market, and the extra features will also find their way into Next proper DS, with all this 3DS
twin stick games playable on that like Ninty always does.

I am expecting new Portable Hardware reveal nextyear.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-08-30

PM

Looks pretty nice. I especially like the xy-ba button colors. Maybe it’s time I finally grab a 3DS.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-01-28

PM

I agree with others, I own a total of 6 games for my 3DS XL, I brought it mainly for ace attorney and layton. I have not found any other games to play on it yet….although hotel dusk and cape west on the big screens was fun.

If new games will not play, I would be annoyed. It’s bad enough store games are linked to the console, so if it breaks you have to buy them again. TBH They would be better off getting some more games made. All their appears to be are kids and indie games.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I actually play games like “Resident Evil: Revelations” on my 3DS XL. For those kind of games, this update would be a benefit. Handhelds do get updated periodically during their lifespans, it’s up to you if the increased performance is worth upgrading your system for.

I have a DSi XL for my DS games - due to the slightly larger bottom screen on the Dsi XL vs the 3DS XL.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Eurogamer hands on with the new device issaying it’s a big improvement:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-19-hands-on-with-nintendos-vastly-improved-new-3ds-xl

- New 3D effect is the real deal
- C-stick placement for camera works well
- It’s lighter than old 3DS

Other sources say the same thing.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Great, let’s get some games out on it. I haven’t bought a 3DS game in many years and I don’t see that changing in the next few years either.

Resident Evil 2 isn’t even coming out for the system, I’d have made that game especially for the new 3DS.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

My first impressions of the new XL model:

- New 3D effect is amazing, finally doesn’t require the player to be absolutely still at the right angle.
- C stick is ok but not a lot of uses yet
- store and net seem faster

- Transfering data between 3DS is incredibly slow!
- Micro SD card placement is terrible, you have to unscrew the back cover to change it…

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hm i came very close to buying one, in fact i did preorder one of the zelda LE ones.. and then they cancelled my preorder due to a stocking error.. and now it seems to be available in places anyway… kind of on the fence now… might wait to see how many exclusives it gets. 
And yeah.. i did a double take when i learned about sd slot having a screwed on cover… what were they thinking on that one…....

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I already have a 3DS XL so I will pass on this. My question though is will Nintendo screw early adopters by making games that you can only play on the new version of the 3DS XL?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 17 February 2015 02:07 PM

I already have a 3DS XL so I will pass on this. My question though is will Nintendo screw early adopters by making games that you can only play on the new version of the 3DS XL?

I think so far only Xenoblade Chronicles will be new 3DS only, don’t know if more games will follow, depends when will Nintendo announce a new portable system.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top