• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Adventurers Guild blog, playing graphic adventure games in chronological order

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

https://advgamer.blogspot.com/

It’s a pretty great blog that makes essentially text-based let’s plays of adventure games in release order. Started in 2011, it was originally inspired by CRPG Addict and was maintained by a single person until it was handed over to a group of reviewers in 2014. They even sometimes have other interesting material such as interviews with game developers. Corey Cole, co-writer and -designer of Quest for Glory, is a frequent commenter there.

I thought they could use a little popularity boost by mentioning them here and to slightly unite the adventure gaming community as a whole.

Furthermore, they’re about to start classics such as The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes 1 and soon after Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, both of which are ranked high in this site’s top 100 list. Currently in-progress is Quest For Glory 1 remake.

Lastly, to inspire some discussion (and to satisfy posting rules), here’s some questions: What do you think of this kind of historical/chronological approach to reviewing games? Is it useful, and in what way? How do you think their game ranking will ultimately differ from the Adventure Gamers top 100 list? Will they uncover hidden gems, or merely praise already popular games? Will they dare to criticise critical darlings? Is the process of blogging through a game more important than giving it a final rating? Will they blog through the games slower than they have come out?

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

I’ve discovered this blog recently, an I’m still busy catching up. It’s just a pity that Trickster has quit. Fortunately, some fans have taken over for him. It’s definitely worth reading.

And it has made me put the MacVenture Compilation on my Steam wishlist. I don’t care if those games are difficult, I want them anyway.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Hmm. Some interesting reading there, but I’d only want to read that kind of detail on a game I was never likely to play! Or, I suppose, to get their take on a game I’d already played.

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Bump. They just posted the introduction post for Fate of Atlantis!

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I didn’t know that blog. I think it’s a very interesting (and long) project. I will follow it.

Thanks!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Yeah, great blog. I really liked their extensive coverage of Conquests of the Longbow with bonus interview with Christy Marx.
The more interesting games are now approaching, since they cover games by release year and they are at the 1992 release year now.

The top 3 games by score (up until 1992):
- Secret of Monkey Island (82)
- Monkey Island: LeChucks revenge (80)
- Conquests of the Longbow (73)

It’s been mostly low scores recently, but now with games such as Fate of Atlanis, DOTT, Gabriel Knight approaching, we might see some interesting developments in the top X list.

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Bump!

Another classic game is about to start, namely King’s Quest 6. It’s 13th on the top 100 list. It’ being played by the same reviewer who did King’s Quest 5 - how will it compare?

subbi - 18 January 2018 11:32 AM

The more interesting games are now approaching, since they cover games by release year and they are at the 1992 release year now.

The top 3 games by score (up until 1992):
- Secret of Monkey Island (82)
- Monkey Island: LeChucks revenge (80)
- Conquests of the Longbow (73)

It’s been mostly low scores recently, but now with games such as Fate of Atlanis, DOTT, Gabriel Knight approaching, we might see some interesting developments in the top X list.

Yeah, great developments lately! Fate of Atlantis (82) and The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes (77) have entered the top 5. 1993 will be a great year; Somebody on this forum did an analysis of the top 100 and concluded that 1993 was where the majority of classics came from.

Recently we also started a series of discussions to better define the criteria for the various scoring categories:

Puzzles & Solvability
Interface & Inventory
Story & Setting
Sound & Graphics
Environment & Atmosphere
Dialogue & Acting

Lots of insightful philosophical arguments presented!

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Year 1992 is now finished!

Retrospective article on 1992: https://advgamer.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-year-that-was-1992.html See which games won awards!

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Bump. Day of the Tentacle playthrough is beginning: https://advgamer.blogspot.com/2023/01/game-131-maniac-mansion-day-of-tentacle.html

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top