• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

does anyone know whats going on?..

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Trumgottist - 02 November 2018 07:24 AM

That’s not my memory of the time I used to be a regular here. Maybe my memory is faulty, but I think back to this place as friendly.

Sure, there was lots of camaraderie among regulars as well, as there is on almost any forum, but it’s never been particularly inviting of new members, and it’s always had a tendency towards hostility.

(I say “never” and “always” in a loose sense; I’m not going ALL the way back to the site’s inception.)

But give up? Hell no. That’s why there are still people here every day trying to ensure it ISN’T like so much of the rest of the internet.

Dumbeur is quite right. We want people to have enthusiastic, passionate conversations, even in disagreement. But the struggle will always be in getting people to recognize the line when “heated” spills over into “nasty”.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

If you think this place is toxic, just go read some comments on some random youtube videos. The internet is a very mean and hostile place in general (probably because people can say whatever and get away with it), and this place is way much nicer in comparison.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SoccerDude - 02 November 2018 01:04 PM

this place is way much nicer in comparison.

oh, no, this place is (the) Paradise comparing to those you ‘ve mentioned

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

SoccerDude - 02 November 2018 01:04 PM

If you think this place is toxic, just go read some comments on some random youtube videos. The internet is a very mean and hostile place in general (probably because people can say whatever and get away with it), and this place is way much nicer in comparison.

True, but there are also Youtube channels that are capable of being very friendly places in the comment sections. It is possible.

dumbeur - 02 November 2018 10:12 AM

Hi Trumgottist Smile

Hi Smile

dumbeur - 02 November 2018 10:12 AM

Unfortunately, internet discourse has changed immeasurably since you first registered on this forum (about the same time I started my own forums adventure) but we could probably write a full thesis or ten on why that’s happened.  So it’s probably not practical to completely cut it out under current conditions.

I refuse to accept that this is just how things are now. (I’m old enough to have started out in completely unmoderated groups on Usenet, before internet forums were a thing.) But I’m unlikely to stick around here anyway, so I’ll just say “good luck” to all of you, and maybe check back in a few years time…

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Trumgottist - 02 November 2018 03:25 PM

I refuse to accept that this is just how things are now. (I’m old enough to have started out in completely unmoderated groups on Usenet, before internet forums were a thing.) But I’m unlikely to stick around here anyway, so I’ll just say “good luck” to all of you, and maybe check back in a few years time…

What! As someone who’s had a an “internet” presence since 1994 and was a very frequent user of Usenet Groups (Not under this moniker so don’t bother looking Smile ) this place is a haven in comparison. The flame wars that went on there amongst pretty much all groups was astounding. Sure, there’s times when someone here takes against somebody else and we all have to live with the reaction but on Usenet you would get factions hunting down other factions across all sorts of groups causing a great deal of misery. That’s why moderated groups came into existence and even then there were problems.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

dumbeur, I agree with you that it is a lot less toxic here lately. Anytime you let human beings into anything you run the risk of toxicity but you also open up the possibility of enlightenment. It’s very difficult to rein in unacceptable behavior while, at the same time, encouraging thoughtful discourse. Both require freedom of expression.

I’m finding the AG Discord posts to be very interesting in a kind of amateur sociologist way. The AG server has quite a few members but only a handful actually post. The posts look to me to be random and very short with limited extended interest. Although it’s active enough, topics turn over quickly. Maybe the Discord format where rapid-fire statements are the accepted norm is more in keeping with our texting/Tweeting/Facebook - brisk social interaction - modern lifestyles than prolonged extended discussions. Maybe we all have the attention span of a gnat now and just can’t take the time to formulate and compose anything longer than a sentence or two except on special occasions.

On the other hand, the Return of the Obra Dinn thread, as an example, in the forums here has a few very well thought out and written posts expressing invaluable information about the game. Granted, most posts in that thread are one-liners but the lengthier posts wouldn’t be possible or acceptable at Discord. The AG forums provide a format that allows members to engage in extended discussions on any topic.

So I think a combination of both venues meets the needs of conversation at AG without limiting members’ preferences and abilities to communicate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Jofog - 03 November 2018 02:58 PM

I’m finding the AG Discord posts to be very interesting in a kind of amateur sociologist way. The AG server has quite a few members but only a handful actually post. The posts look to me to be random and very short with limited extended interest. Although it’s active enough, topics turn over quickly. Maybe the Discord format where rapid-fire statements are the accepted norm is more in keeping with our texting/Tweeting/Facebook - brisk social interaction - modern lifestyles than prolonged extended discussions. Maybe we all have the attention span of a gnat now and just can’t take the time to formulate and compose anything longer than a sentence or two except on special occasions.

That is true about many aspects of our modern lives. The attention span of people has definitely gone down in recent years. I think it is partially due to the vast amount of choice we have in everything. You want to play games, you have retail as well as Steam/GOG/Humble Bundle/Consoles etc… You want to watch movies/TV, you can browse cable, watch youtube, buy blu-ray/DVD, watch netflix/hulu, Crackle, HBO GO etc… With all that choice, there are so many things screaming at you and vying for your attention. It’s like a dog on a leash getting bombarded by city noises when they go out for a walk.

Another part is our always connected reality. The nature of the internet is that you start somewhere, and you end up somewhere else due to the constant jumping from topic to another through hyperlinks. Add to that the short and immediate feedback loop of social platforms like facebook or twitter, and the fact that we can’t have a meaningful discussion in real life without having someone watching their phone, and it all contributes to the short attention span.

Total Posts: 72

Joined 2017-03-27

PM

Don’t you think there’s a time factor involved, too? It’s so much quicker just to post a couple of words and add a smiley to get your virtual social interaction fix than it is to type a whole paragraph. I’m guilty of that. I’ll see a topic that I would like to join but I don’t have time to sit for 10-15 minutes so I read and leave.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top