• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do you have to play laura bow colonels bequest before dagger of amon ra

Total Posts: 2070

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

codetemplar - 07 July 2019 03:08 PM

Title says it all really Smile
I’ve noticed that a lot of point and click retro gamers list the dagger of amon ra one of their favourite adventure games. I’ve never played any Laura Bow games and really wanted to jump in to this one but there is a game before called colonels bequest. Can I play amon ra without playing the colonels bequest first or will I miss out on story and character development? The colonels bequest isn’t reviewed as fondly as amon ra
Thanks!

They are entirely different, yes. Although why skip Colonel’s Bequest? It’s a solid, stylish murder mystery adventure with many nice touches, written by Roberta Williams herself. Dagger of Amon Ra was produced by some unknown guest designer and it is really a mixed bag, with some poor design choices (including whole chapters), weird, sadistic sense of humour and a very bad interface, not to mention lots of silly, unexpected deaths. By no means it’s a bad game, just not something one might expect from this sort of game. Colonel’s Bequest is 100% Agatha Christie and might serve as a better introduction to the series.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

TimovieMan - 08 July 2019 03:22 AM
diego - 08 July 2019 02:39 AM

Can you name a game series that you absolutely need to play in order, apart from the episodic games?

All of them!
But that’s because I have OCD, not because the series require it… Grin

If, like me, you really must have things in order, the condition we live with could more accurately be called “CDO”, not OCD. But that discussion should wait until this one is complete….  Tongue

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Most series with a continuous story I wouldn’t want to start somewhere in the middle. Whether it’s some comedy like Deponia or mostly just because you are more familiar with everything like in Blackwell.

Of course it’s usually fine for those that switch around protagonists or where every adventure is a new, fairly separate story.

Can’t say I can think of one where you “absolutely” have to play the prequel(s) first either (except episodic games for obvious reasons). Presumably developers avoid this to have a better chance at new players Wink

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Gabriel Knight games could cause some issues, especially in terms of understanding the world of he lives in if you don’t play the games in order. Though it is more to do with understanding his backstory and role as a Schattenjäger a bit better.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mike the Wino - 08 July 2019 12:12 PM

If, like me, you really must have things in order, the condition we live with could more accurately be called “CDO”, not OCD. But that discussion should wait until this one is complete….  Tongue

Yep, CDO. It’s like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 509

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

tomimt - 08 July 2019 01:36 PM

Gabriel Knight games could cause some issues, especially in terms of understanding the world of he lives in if you don’t play the games in order. Though it is more to do with understanding his backstory and role as a Schattenjäger a bit better.

When I played GK2 for the first time,on a Mac and in ‘96 or so, I wasn’t even aware of the first game. It was the second adventure game I ever played and it didn’t have a “2” in the title. Enjoyed it very much and I think they did a good job setting things up for newcomers. I played GK1 five or six years later when I got my first Windows PC. Sure the series benefits from being played in order, but they work pretty well on their own. Of course the third one would probably make less sense if you hadn’t the backstory and know about Mosley etc.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top