• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do you have to play laura bow colonels bequest before dagger of amon ra

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2015-08-16

PM

Title says it all really Smile
I’ve noticed that a lot of point and click retro gamers list the dagger of amon ra one of their favourite adventure games. I’ve never played any Laura Bow games and really wanted to jump in to this one but there is a game before called colonels bequest. Can I play amon ra without playing the colonels bequest first or will I miss out on story and character development? The colonels bequest isn’t reviewed as fondly as amon ra
Thanks!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

sure(ly) they are not connected by any means! ..rather than the same protagonist! even the gameplaying is totally different. give DoAR a go man.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve never played Colonel’s Bequest, but thoroughly enjoyed Amon Ra.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You don’t have to do anything (apart from eating and sleeping)  Crazy  - I’m yet to hear about the game series where you can’t jump straight to the sequel - sure, you’ll miss some references here and there, or perhaps a large portion of a back story (in the worst case scenario), but even then, you’ll be enjoying the game. Hell, my favorite games are Gabriel Knight 2 and Monkey Island 2, and I’ve played the first games in the series few years or even a decade after the second.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

diego - 07 July 2019 05:36 PM

I’m yet to hear about the game series where you can’t jump straight to the sequel - sure, you’ll miss some references here and there, or perhaps a large portion of a back story (in the worst case scenario)

I think this falls into the category where a game might share a same lineage with another, but the two games are not really related at all. Do you need to play MYST before you can play Riven? Of course not!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

rtrooney - 07 July 2019 09:46 PM
diego - 07 July 2019 05:36 PM

I’m yet to hear about the game series where you can’t jump straight to the sequel - sure, you’ll miss some references here and there, or perhaps a large portion of a back story (in the worst case scenario)

I think this falls into the category where a game might share a same lineage with another, but the two games are not really related at all. Do you need to play MYST before you can play Riven? Of course not!

Can you name a game series that you absolutely need to play in order, apart from the episodic games?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 08 July 2019 02:39 AM

Can you name a game series that you absolutely need to play in order, apart from the episodic games?

All of them!
But that’s because I have OCD, not because the series require it… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If you don’t count Laura Bow herself, there’s no overlap between the games. They both are stand-alone murder mysteries.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I don’t know about absolutely need, but I’d have thought you’d miss out somewhat if you started with Broken Sword 2 or Dreamfall.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

Sure. If you didn’t play Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins before you played
Dragon Lore II: The Heart of the Dragon Man
you wouldn’t know that The Hordes from the Land of Nightmares stand ready to attack. The Dragon Prince has dubbed you, Werner von Wallenrod, a Dragon Knight.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Grue22 - 08 July 2019 06:34 AM

Sure. If you didn’t play Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins before you played
Dragon Lore II: The Heart of the Dragon Man
you wouldn’t know that The Hordes from the Land of Nightmares stand ready to attack. The Dragon Prince has dubbed you, Werner von Wallenrod, a Dragon Knight.

Well played, Sir. Grin You wouldn’t believe it, but I played The Dragon Lore II without playing the original, and enjoyed it immensely. I was terrified later when I found out that the critics think it’s a shitty game. Bunch of fools. I mean, can you ask for a better haircut from a protagonist than this?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

whoa i had no idea there was a dragon lore 2… i love those kind of pre rendered mid dos era graphics

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

diego - 08 July 2019 06:45 AM

I mean, can you ask for a better haircut from a protagonist than this?

Point taken. But it’s clearly a step down from his haircut in the first game.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Grue22 - 08 July 2019 07:15 AM
diego - 08 July 2019 06:45 AM

I mean, can you ask for a better haircut from a protagonist than this?

Point taken. But it’s clearly a step down from his haircut in the first game.

I take back everything I said about not needing to play games in order. This haircut is frigging brilliant! Missing on a backstory is nothing compared to acknowledging hairstyle development. Still, I wouldn’t wanna play the game where the hero is holding his sword by the blade!

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Grin

I propose - nay, demand - a new thread about the best & worst adventure game haircuts.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure “absolutely need to” fits the bill, because you can always play a sequel first even if you don’t know the characters’ backstory. But I think it would be somewhat unsatisfying. Two examples would be playing Still Life II without playing Still Life and Post Mortem first. Also, Syberia 2 wouldn’t make much sense without playing Syberia first.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top