• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blade Runner ready to be tested with ScummVM

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

After some work, Blade Runner is fully supported by ScummVM, whose team is calling for testers to report any potential bugs. There’s a “standard”, and “restored content” version which still needs some work to be done, according to the authors. On top of that, you can also download and import the subtitles that were not available in the original version.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2018-08-12

PM

Hopefully, restored content version will be fully ready (or at least to a degree that will have the majority of the cut content I want to restore) before November this year. At least that’s the current goal.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

That’s great GREAT news! Thanks!!!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Excellent news!

I’ve never played it, and while I can get my copy to run using a virtual machine, the sound stutters occasionally, which makes the unsubtitled dialogue hard to understand.

If ScummVM gets it to run without a virtual machine and without the sound stutter, that’d be awesome.
If it does that AND give subtitles, I’m sensing another push for the next CPT. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

TimovieMan - 18 June 2019 04:36 AM

Excellent news!
If ScummVM gets it to run without a virtual machine and without the sound stutter, that’d be awesome.
If it does that AND give subtitles, I’m sensing another push for the next CPT. Grin

Hmm. Given the random elements that could be interesting! Has there been a CPT before that was different for each player?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

This is nice news, indeed. I do wonder if this would open up other possibilities as well. After seeing the fantastic fan-made neural network upscale of the Longest Journey, it could be interesting to see Blade Runner to get a similar treatment.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Technically speaking, ScummVM will be using a virtual machine to run any game. It’s even in the name!

Nit-picking comments aside, running a game through ScummVM instead of a virtual machine with a full installation of something like Windows 95 is obviously much better. I’m also enthusiastic about the prospect of finally playing Blade Runner.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’ve got Blade Runner running in Win10 with that custom installer, but it doesn’t always start up properly, so it’s a bit of a nuisance.  Running through ScumMVM should completely alleviate that, so I may well give it a go when I get time.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The last time I played BR through was on Win 10, with the help of the custom installer and I didn’t have any issues with it. But it is nice to see an alternative way of making the game run, as being part of ScummVm should make it even more future proof, not to mention help people with other OS’s than Windows play it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Aside from topic, Next November guys!
i wouldn’t have believed i would (soon) reach that date not being retired, yet!

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I’ve never played it

Why??? Seriously though it’s one of the best adventure games ever made.

I’m lucky I still have the original discs so maybe I should give this a try. Curious to see what this restored content version will add…

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

tomimt - 18 June 2019 08:45 AM

After seeing the fantastic fan-made neural network upscale of the Longest Journey

The what now? Link please Smile

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

McCoy97 - 21 June 2019 12:08 PM
tomimt - 18 June 2019 08:45 AM

After seeing the fantastic fan-made neural network upscale of the Longest Journey

The what now? Link please Smile

Here you go: https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-longest-journey-hd

You need a new version of ResidualVM to make it run, which you can also DL from modDB. And you can also opt to download upscaled version of the cinematics as well if you want.

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Cool thanks, gonna check that out as well

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Just a question. There’s a few days to go for the results in the ‘Time for a New CPT’ thread & everything can change but at the mo Blade Runner is ahead.

Can Blade Runner be successfully run using ScummVM before November? i.e. NOW! (forget the subtitles!)

If not, if you have the original game discs are there ways of running this game on newer systems now?

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

chrissie - 11 July 2019 01:31 PM

If not, if you have the original game discs are there ways of running this game on newer systems now?

An alternative to ScummVM is detailed here, Chrissie. I’ve got it working using that.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top