• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Italics not working?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I don’t know if it’s just me but, it appears that italics i.e. [ em ] aren’t working.

This bit here is an example.

And here is another one!

Is it just me, because I can only see blank space where the words in italics should be?

Edit: Here is a screencap of what I can see, just in case it works for everyone else!

I’m using Chrome.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Both appear fine to me… Meh

I use the [ i ] tag, btw. Like so. Does that show?

Can you select the blank words?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It looks like you have a font problem. Even the normal text doesn’t look right on your screenshot.

Try selecting some text in a post, right-click > Inspect Element, then you should have a Rules panel at the bottom right. (In most browsers at least? In IE, you might need to open the Developer’s tools first?) There should be a rule for “font”; try unticking that (so that it reverts to your default font), and see if that changes anything.

If it does, then it *is* a font problem and that should be easy to fix.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

The font thing does sort it out, but I have never had this problem before and haven’t changed any settings that I am aware of?

I couldn’t see yours Timo before changing the font thing.

Obviously just a problem with me somehow.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

OK, that’s good. What’s going on is that the page is trying to use Helvetica if possible (and then Arial if it can’t find Helvetica). Helvetica is not installed by default on Windows (MS don’t want to pay the license for it; nor should they, it’s an ugly, boring font). However, some software sometimes installs a partial version of it (which is why it is missing the italics). I remember something like that happening to me ages ago.

Go to Control Panel > Fonts. Find Helvetica, and check that it indeed doesn’t have italics installed. If so, uninstall the font; your browser should now fall back to Arial and everything will look good again. (Or pay 35€ for the full font, if you prefer that.)

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Thanks for the help Kuru, I’ll look into it properly later.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hmmm.

So just out of interest, I changed nothing at all (beyond a temporary font-box-unchecking yesterday) and now it magically works again.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top