• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Question about converting graphics

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

In order to modify pictures in my graphics program, Photo Studio by Canon, I have to convert my png screenshots to jpgs.  Is this also true of Adobe Photoshop?  I got Photoshop for Christmas but haven’t installed it yet.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I don’t use Photoshop myself so there is a small chance that I might be wrong… But no, Photoshop can handle pretty much all formats including png.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks, Izno.  I’m in the middle of making puzzles for the MM tourney and don’t have time to play with it right now, but it’s good to know I can simplify things for the future.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I have used Adobe Photoshop in the past. It can handle pretty much everything, and .png files are as standard as they come.

I will say, though, that if you’re modifying screenshots of games that use 16- or 32-bit colouring (instead of 256 colours), that you’re better off using the .jpg format, as the file size will be vastly smaller with .jpgs.
If it’s 256 colours, however, then .pngs are infinitely superior as they’re lossless (where .jpgs aren’t).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

For puzzles, I’m often grabbing a screenshot to remove a specific item and layer it onto something else.  It will be nice to be able to eliminate the extra step. 

The program I’m using now is a freebie and works very well for most things without having too many overwhelming bells and whistles.  Before that, I used the much simpler Adobe Photodeluxe with limited layers and capabilities.  As with everything, it’s all a matter of getting used to something new.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 14 September 2014 09:11 PM

The program I’m using now is a freebie and works very well for most things without having too many overwhelming bells and whistles.

I can recommend GIMP as a free program that has more or less the same functionality as Photoshop (although that may qualify as “having many overwhelming bells and whistles”).
Photoshop is of course the better program to use (and the one with the most tutorials found online)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Free image editing software?

If you want something simple to use that converts images and works fairly simply like MS Paint on windows (but good!) then try the free version of Ultimate Paint http://www.ultimatepaint.com/download.php. - That is the FREEWARE edition and not the free trial of the paid version. Definitely the easiest one to get into that I know of.

If you want something with a few more features (especially layers and some basic effects) but not too complicated then try paint.net http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

However, if you do want something with all the bells and whistles then I would definitely agree with Timo and get the GIMP. Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  As I said, I have Photoshop (Elements) already, and got it free (as a gift), so I will give it a try first.  For future reference though, do you know if GIMP is Mac compatible?

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

GIMP is very much Mac compatible. I think it was even Mac compatible first, before being Windows compatible…

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That’s good to know.  Thanks, Mr. Movieman!

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-03-24

PM

Windows has more free photo editing tools than Mac does, saying GIMP, PicMonkey, Pixlr, image watermark software, OnOne and etc. Also Photoshop has the way to convert png to jpg. All photo editing tools support this feature.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top