• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The football (soccer) thread

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 20 June 2014 04:35 PM
diego - 20 June 2014 04:18 PM

It’s always been the goal difference.

But I agree with wilco that the tied teams’ results should come before the goal difference. It’s more fair that way.
Then again, FIFA isn’t exactly known for being fair. Grin Naughty

Sure, but my guess is that it promotes goal-oriented football. The “only” stupid thing is when total goal difference should decide who proceeds from the group, is when one team has already been knocked out before the last round. Then, hypothetically, the team that plays against the knocked-out (and unmotivated) team in the last round has more chances to score goals and fix their goal difference.

wilco - 20 June 2014 04:37 PM

Not in all tournaments. I was mixing up.

Of course not, I was speaking of World Cups.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Abysmal refereeing at the end. When the action is still going, you do NOT blow the final whistle. That one second costs Benzema one of the better goals of the tournament. What if he ends up just one goal short of being the lone tournament top scorer? Or (however unlikely) France winds up second with one goal short in the goal difference?
Kuijpers has no feeling for the flow of the game, it seems…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Benzema got robbed.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

A question for you guys - can you name few of your favorite 2014 WC links? Where do you hang? I read this news site - http://www.101greatgoals.com/ , and occasionally, I also visit Telegraph and Guardian. For past WCs, I liked to visit this blog - http://www.worldcupblog.org/ which had great articles, live radio podcasts, discussions… but unfortunately it’s defunct. Do you know of something similar?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Some hilarious gifs

Rooney’s spectacular performance

Them Cameroon players

94 Mill euros worth of Free Kick

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 20 June 2014 06:30 PM

Rooney’s spectacular performance

Reminds me of the parody of Beckham’s penalty vs Portugal at Euro 2004. Grin

As for the match at hand: just like against France, Honduras make some vicious tackles. Refs should be more strict. Figueroa should thank his lucky stars he hasn’t been booked yet.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

How to stop your wife/girlfriend from bothering you while watching World Cup:

Which World Cup team should I root for?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

VS

Winner

Grin

Luv football Heart

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 20 June 2014 04:11 PM
nomadsoul - 20 June 2014 03:54 PM

French broke the pattern first Tongue

Doesn’t count, french league is bad Smile

NUMBER OF WORLD CUP PLAYERS BY LEAGUE

1. England’s Premier League (105)
2. Italy’s Serie A (81)
3. Germany’s Bundesliga (73)
4. Spain’s Primera Division (62)
5. France’s Ligue 1 (47)
6. Russia’s Premier League (34)
7. Mexico’s Liga MX (26)
8. Turkey’s Super Lig (24)
9. Portugal’s Primera Division (22)
9. USA’s MLS (22)

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I only now saw the situation where Pepe got the red card - what a pathetic dive from Müller! Must be one of the worst in the tournament, overall. That “headbutt” (though it’s not really a headbutt, it’s just him confronting Müller on the dive) was sure dumb and sure his hand was high in the first place so I’m not saying the red card was completely unjustified, but it’s a total injustice that Müller wasn’t booked for that.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The “headbutt” is what got him sent off. Had he just walked away from Müller’s acting, he would never have been booked. It’s his own stupidity that got him a red card.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Sure thing, that’s what I said (although the headbutt isn’t really a headbutt in the usual sense, rather a very aggressive, in-your-face “what do you think you’re doing?” - stupid, but not in any way a physical attack), but one can’t dismiss the ridiculous dive Müller also took that was the cause for that “headbutt” - and yet people who keep complaining about other divers seem to ignore that completely even though it was definitely at least one of the most blatant ones.

You know, it’s old news to most, but I only just saw the situation Wink

Though it’s not surprising because there are countries whose players often can’t fall without being called divers, and other nations whose players can dive around all day and no one ever says a thing.

Anyways, hoping for a good game from Argentina today - and I so wish Ghana would get back in the zone they were in the last World Cup and manage to win Germany Grin Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

The Pre-show hype for Messi is already in overdrive mode, i hope he is good enough to
rain goals on Iran.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, Argentina saved by a Messi wonder-goal in the last minute against Iran. They have to step up in the next phase if they want to go anywhere. They were very lucky with the group they got.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 21 June 2014 02:01 PM

So, Argentina saved by a Messi wonder-goal in the last minute against Iran. They have to step up in the next phase if they want to go anywhere. They were very lucky with the group they got.

Luck > Hardwork, that own goal in first match and Penalty + Reza got robbed twice. Seriously this is really bad show.

Iran got robbed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top