• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Should there be some message when reporting a post?

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

When I hit “report post”, it just takes me back to the topic. Is this what happens when the report was submitted?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It should lead you to a report page where you can give additional info on why you’re reporting a post.

I didn’t get any “reported post” messages from you, so that means your report failed. They only get sent when you confirm on the report page, I guess.

What OS and browser are you using?

Marek, could you look into this?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 22 July 2013 05:52 PM

I didn’t get any “reported post” messages from you, so that means your report failed.

I got them. All 4 duplicates.

However, I would question what you’re reporting; this morning’s were unnecessary.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dale - 22 July 2013 05:58 PM
TimovieMan - 22 July 2013 05:52 PM

I didn’t get any “reported post” messages from you, so that means your report failed.

I got them. All 4 duplicates.

I thought the four duplicates were Lucien21’s. One of us was probably not paying a great deal of attention. And I already deleted my mails, so I can’t check…

Edit: it was a post by Lucien21 that got reported. Well, I’m the one that wasn’t paying attention, then… Sealed Lips

@ Antrax: we did receive the reports. Grin
And they did contain some extra info on the report, so you must’ve seen (and filled in) the second screen.
After clicking “Report” on the second screen, it’s normal to return to the thread you started in. There’s no “report successful” message.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Okay, thanks. I wasn’t sure because there’s the forum software doesn’t like the company proxy I’m using, which causes some forum actions to often fail (for instance, when replying to a post, hitting the “submit” button often just takes me to a blank “submit post” form). Hence, I wasn’t sure whether they were even being submitted.

Dale, reports are rarely “necessary”. For some reason in this forum many common netiquette practices are ignored. I’m still learning whether this is the result of lack of moderator attention or a deliberate policy.

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

By all means share what “netiquette” you think is being ignored, but I really don’t follow why you reported Lucien21’s post as spam.

The subject is “Maps in adventure games” and the post includes a map (though I will grant that the image is large). The post is therefore clearly not unrelated to the subject, but, even if it was, it still wouldn’t be spam. Is it the large image you are objecting to? (Maybe a lack of appreciation of screen resolutions used but hardly malicious). Even so, there is no advertising content, nor has this been bulk mailed out, so I don’t see how this meets any accepted definition of spam.

Arguably, your repeated use of the report function (bulk mailing) could be considered spam, but I acknowledge this arose solely because you thought the report function wasn’t working properly. It is, but none of the moderators saw this post as a problem. Clarify why you think it is and maybe we can move on from there.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Hey hold on a sec. My posts may not be work of Shakespere, but they are never spam.

I should report this entire thread Innocent

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Now I need to figure oot which rule I broke and wait for my punishment.

PLEASE don’t make me play Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded again.

I’ll behave.

I swear.

Pan

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Speaking of “netiquette”, shouldn’t the fact that someone report someone else, really be dealt with in PM between the reporter the mods and perhaps the reported, instead of being posted in a public thread?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Antrax - 22 July 2013 11:03 PM

Dale, reports are rarely “necessary”. For some reason in this forum many common netiquette practices are ignored. I’m still learning whether this is the result of lack of moderator attention or a deliberate policy.

I too would like to know which common netiquette practices are ignored here.
It’s definitely not a lack of moderator attention (case in point: three mods have posted in this thread alone). It could be “deliberate policy” but then in so much as that we won’t enforce overly strict rules as long as it’s still all respectful… Smile

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Iznogood - 23 July 2013 03:39 PM

Speaking of “netiquette”, shouldn’t the fact that someone report someone else, really be dealt with in PM between the reporter the mods and perhaps the reported, instead of being posted in a public thread?

That’s what I expected, too. As a rule I never give feedback I wouldn’t stand behind, though, so it could be worse.

Generally speaking, posters in this forum have a difficult time staying on topic. One of the more interesting threads recently was the Broken Age announcement and everything surrounding it. However, you can see several time in that thread how it’s sidetracked to people arguing about which games are classics, whether the 3DS is a good console, and other things that are relevant to this site, but not to that thread.

Which brings us back to the post I’d reported. First of all, I’d like to stress that it’s strictly a “report post”, not a “report poster”. I have absolutely no issue with Lucien21 and that’s his only post I’ve seen that I considered problematic.
That particular post had two issues with it. The minor one was that it embedded a huge image in the page. If you need me to explain why this is a bad practice, I will, but I expect it’s well known why.
The more important issue is that again it had nothing to do with the thread in question. The thread asked for our experience with map styles in adventure games. That post showed a map the poster created for Zork. That doesn’t answer any of the questions in the OP. It does run the risk of derailing the discussion to “which maps have you created?” or whatever.

As an aside, I’ve wondered for a while whether report post was working for me, which is why I’ve experimented with report post for that particular post, to see if I can get error message and/or success messages. Sorry if it spammed you guys.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Antrax - 24 July 2013 12:25 AM
Iznogood - 23 July 2013 03:39 PM

I would normally agree but in this case I’m glad the issue was aired just to have the opportunity to defend ‘the reported’!

Generally speaking, posters in this forum have a difficult time staying on topic. One of the more interesting threads recently was the Broken Age announcement and everything surrounding it. However, you can see several time in that thread how it’s sidetracked to people arguing about which games are classics, whether the 3DS is a good console, and other things that are relevant to this site, but not to that thread.

One of the things I love about this forum is the digression & ensuing ‘debates’ which gives a more natural flow to topics (like in real life!) 

I have absolutely no issue with Lucien21 and that’s his only post I’ve seen that I considered problematic.
That particular post had two issues with it. The minor one was that it embedded a huge image in the page. If you need me to explain why this is a bad practice, I will, but I expect it’s well known why.

Why is it bad practice because I don’t know why? (I’m a techie dunce!)

The more important issue is that again it had nothing to do with the thread in question. The thread asked for our experience with map styles in adventure games. That post showed a map the poster created for Zork. That doesn’t answer any of the questions in the OP. It does run the risk of derailing the discussion to “which maps have you created?” or whatever.

The title of the thread was ‘Maps in Adventure Games’ & the opening question was “What is your taste in maps”. I thought Lucien’s reply, although not answering the specific questions asked, was very relevant to the thread as it was a ‘counter-balance’ to maps being included at all & if it had led on to other people posting maps they had to create to navigate locations in a game - so what!!!

What I can’t understand is, as many topics get ‘de-railed’, why you chose to target & report a member which comes across as vindictive rather than start a thread to state generally what your thoughts are & see what others think as I’ve gleaned that this is not the only thread you have issues with?

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Antrax - 24 July 2013 12:25 AM

That’s what I expected, too. As a rule I never give feedback I wouldn’t stand behind, though, so it could be worse.

Well, there’s nothing really “sensitive” about your report, and it did spark this thread, so it’s more or less normal that it would get more publically discussed, imo.
Besides, I don’t think any of the mods had an issue with the post that got reported, which is why none of us acted on it…

Generally speaking, posters in this forum have a difficult time staying on topic.

Isn’t that a normal part of conversations, that they wander on occasion and have a certain flow to them?
We tend to revert things back on topic if the off-topic chat goes too far, but a certain leeway should be acceptable, no?

The minor one was that it embedded a huge image in the page. If you need me to explain why this is a bad practice, I will, but I expect it’s well known why.

A part of the problem lies with the limited forum software capabilities, imo.
When the site migrated to ExpressionEngine a year ago, it meant a huge step up for the site in general and its functionalities, but the downside was that the forums became more limiting.
Large un-resized (and not fully visible) pictures can be a nuisance at times, but they’re hardly deal-breaking, no?

chrissie - 24 July 2013 10:28 AM

What I can’t understand is, as many topics get ‘de-railed’, why you chose to target & report a member which comes across as vindictive rather than start a thread to state generally what your thoughts are & see what others think as I’ve gleaned that this is not the only thread you have issues with?

Chrissie, now I think you’re blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Antrax did not “target & report a member”, he just reported a single post and explained why he felt he needed to report it. Nothing in that explanation came across as vindictive…

Not every post that gets reported does so because of insulting/disrespectful content. A lot of it is just making the mods aware of spam posts, or pointing the mods towards a post that *might* warrant some closer mod attention.
It doesn’t automatically mean the “reporter” has a personal vendetta going on with the “reportee”, especially since this was in no way a report on the poster but on a post. Let’s not make a mountain out of a molehill… Wink

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

A part of the problem lies with the limited forum software capabilities, imo.

I doubt you can’t post a link to an image, no matter how ancient the forum software.
Chrissie, the issue with embedding large images is twofold: They tend to distort the page layout when someone views them in a device with small resolution, and they force people to download them, which might be an issue for people with slow connections or people with bandwidth limitation (very common in the smartphone era).

One of the things I love about this forum is the digression & ensuing ‘debates’ which gives a more natural flow to topics (like in real life!)

Isn’t that a normal part of conversations, that they wander on occasion and have a certain flow to them?

Guys, we are not having conversations. If you want to have conversations, go to a chatroom. In a discussion forum, an opening post often defines some frame for the following discussion. It might be a series of questions, or a specific topic. In any case, it’s not clear that whoever started a topic is at all interested in wherever the naturally-flowing conversation is headed.
Why is this a problem, when regular posters and admins alike enjoy things the way they are? That depends on your objective as a community. If you want to have a group of 15 people constantly rehashing to each other how great Dreamfall was, then everything is great. However, most communities are interested in acquiring new members, and people are going to be turned off if they come in here and you derail their topic into yet another discussion about which games are awesome that you’ve had so many times before. I know this because this happened to me, and it sent me back to lurking for about a year - I asked an innocent question and got three pages of completely irrelevant posts and some flames to boot.

What I can’t understand is, as many topics get ‘de-railed’, why you chose to target & report a member which comes across as vindictive rather than start a thread

First of all, I didn’t choose this, it was forced on me by the administrative staff, who hadn’t felt these reports should remain confidential. I had no intention of raising this issue, since I don’t think it’s my place to do so.
Using a function intended to report posts one finds problematic, however, seems like something that any member should feel free to do - when done properly (i.e. when admins don’t openly call you out on it), it’s pretty much win-win, resolution is reached involving the minimal amount of people necessary and there’s never bad blood.
Moreover, even if I wanted to open this for public discussion, I’d have done so by choosing specific examples, since it’s difficult to discuss things constructively otherwise. So, we’d have been in the same place where people might have felt I’m singling them out.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Antrax - 24 July 2013 12:32 PM

Guys, we are not having conversations. If you want to have conversations, go to a chatroom. In a discussion forum, an opening post often defines some frame for the following discussion. It might be a series of questions, or a specific topic. In any case, it’s not clear that whoever started a topic is at all interested in wherever the naturally-flowing conversation is headed.

Here’s one thing that’s always bugged me: posters who think they “own” a thread just because they’ve started it. They don’t. Once the thread is started, it belongs to the community – or at least to whoever’s posting in it. Obviously, trolls who just enjoy derailing threads should be kicked out. But if the conversation just naturally flows to some place different from where it started, then so be it.

At the end of the day, it is a conversation. When you start a thread, you’re not a schoolmistress giving out assignments. You are starting a conversation with other people, over whom you have no authority whatsoever. You can try to make them interested in what you want to discuss, you can try to steer the conversation at regular times towards things you’re interested in, but ultimately you can’t force them to spend time writing about a specific subject just because you care about it. If people just aren’t interested in the topic of your thread, no amount of policing is going to change that. It’s just going to make the thread dead.

I’ve had my share of “unsuccessful” threads over the years – threads that went into a direction I wasn’t interested in, threads that nobody replied to, threads that just didn’t generate the insightful debate I was hoping for. That’s how it is. You can’t force people to follow you on whatever train of thought is currently on your mind. All you can do is try your best, and try again when it fails.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Kurufinwe - 24 July 2013 01:14 PM

That’s how it is.

On this particular board. There’s nothing inherent to Adventure Games that says things have to be this way, and many (most) other boards out there don’t follow what you’ve just outlined.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top