• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The photo thread

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2004-11-26

PM

I have been to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in 1997, 2000, 2011, 2012 and just recently in May of this year. They had record amounts of rainfall early in the year (they’ve had some unusual weather that past couple of years including a tornado in 2011). It is typically a very lush, green place with lots of creeks, streams and rivers flowing throughout the park. Before it became a park, there were many people who lived there and old cabins, remnants of old cabins and settlements, old cemeteries, etc. can be seen throughout the park. The logging companies came in at the end of the 19th century and almost decimated the area. A push for it to become a park had begun before that (you can read a nice history of the park here). With that babbling out of the way, here are some photos:

John Ownby cabin

Cataract Falls

Fallen tree with moss and mushrooms

One of the views across the mountains

This was in the Greenbrier area

This was along one of the quiet walkways in the park

A yellow trillium

(click on them to see the full photo - some were cropped on the edge by the forum software)

Resident science freak

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Nice photo’s Mel.

Nice little shack in the woods, looks a bit drafty though.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-11-26

PM

Lucien21 - 19 May 2013 03:32 PM

Nice photo’s Mel.

Nice little shack in the woods, looks a bit drafty though.

Thanks. Smile This one was probably a bit less drafty as the people lived there long enough to upgrade it with windows.

This cabin (the Ephraim Bales place) always fascinates me as they raised 9 kids in that tiny place.

Resident science freak

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Some pictures from Warsaw. I’ll post more, comment more and link to the full gallery later, but here are a few select pieces Tongue

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

The pavement on the famous square in Warsaw looks in dire need of a rigorous overhaul!
What are that buiding at the end of the lake and the big wannabe Empire State building?

Joined 2004-11-26

PM

Very nice!

Resident science freak

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Well finally I got this message posted! I had to post something else and then edit this in… But anyways)

Thank you, Melanie! Smile

tsa - 29 May 2013 11:13 AM

The pavement on the famous square in Warsaw looks in dire need of a rigorous overhaul!
What are that buiding at the end of the lake and the big wannabe Empire State building?

The huge tower is the Palace of Culture and Science, basically built by the Soviets in the 50’s - according to Wikipedia still the tallest building in Poland. The building by the lake is in the ?azienki Park, it’s the ?azienki Palace (or Palace on the Water/Isle), built for a nobleman in the 17th century. (Edit: I see the forums don’t know that correct letter - it’s Lazienki, only with a line across the L, as you can see in the Wiki)

Okay, so here’s the link to the full gallery. Just quickly about those pictures above, a few are taken in the old town (the buildings and the couple details (I love that one that looks like a storm at sea Grin)), a couple in the park (the statue and the Water Palace) and the fountain (I loved that fountain! So clever (and beautiful), how all the water shot to each other in the middle and created that cloud that kept shifting) was right behind the Palace of Culture and Science.

I don’t know why many of the pictures I took turned out so dark! (Well, the weather had to have something to do with it) But alas, they did. Well, hopefully that doesn’t spoil too much.

Okay, so here are a few more… First off, some university buildings:

And another, on the other side of the street
And this would be behind the above gate.

This was a bit further down the street - there was some sort of charity for ill children going on. Now it’s not a great picture, but I love how the policemen are looking so official playing on the stage, and there’s a huge crowd of young clowns in front… (Here in full size)

And, the Royal Castle at the edge of the Old Town, with also the Castle Square here… I remember seeing some flash mob video done here once… And that is my friend’s hand there Tongue She wouldn’t really let me take any pictures of her, but I did manage to sneak a few though Wink Though the rest were better than this Grin (though unfortunately mainly nevertheless not very good)

Here’s a picture from inside the Royal Castle.

This is again from the Lazienka Park, I just like the clear lines and geometry in the picture, even if it’s not so exciting otherwise Smile

This is a “multimedia fountain” at the edge of the river there. Apparently at night it would have lights and music too, but I didn’t go there then. Anyway, I don’t know how I managed to get the picture to look so wet Tongue But you can also see that the weather wasn’t so great most of the time there…

Now, here is the Palace of Culture and Science, and the fountain I was so excited about Grin You can see better how it works here…

Oh well, maybe that’s enough for now. There are still a couple more photos I could talk about, but I can’t spend all day with that Tongue Also, I just noticed that I couldn’t take an even picture - most of them are tilted Grin

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Beautiful pictures UP! Especially the one with the fountain.
About the pictures being tilted: in most cameras you have a setting that makes it show horizontal and vertical lines in the viewfinder. They help a lot in making your photos straight.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Nice pictures UP, Warsaw looks like an interesting place to visit.

I like the angles you got in that tree lined one.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Thanks a lot, both of you! Smile

Warsaw sure has its moments Wink Of course, it’s also a not-so-wealthy ex-Soviet city (more or less), so it’s of course not all so pretty Tongue

Oh, and thanks for the hint on the setting, tsa. I wouldn’t be surprised if my camera had it, too, but the thought hasn’t even crossed my mind (it’s kind of obvious now that I think about it, though) Tongue I’m always so eager to just take photos that I don’t think about all the stuff that could help me… I’ll have to look it up!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Detail of a butterfly on my newspaper.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

tsa - 25 August 2013 07:32 AM

Detail of a butterfly on my newspaper.

Where? Tongue I mean, I’m not getting a picture or a link…

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Oops, sorry. Here it is:

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

You must have quite a good objective to get such a close-and-clear picture, tsa! Smile The colours come off great in the picture.

I’ve been going through pictures to send to the Urban Photographer of the Year competition (closing 8th September) and also learning to do some mild editing. I might post some of my, umm, “comeuppings” here later Grin

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Yes I do! It’s a 105 mm macro lens, I forgot the brand. The only problem is that to achieve a good focal depth you need a very high f-nr, which of course inversies the schutter time a lot.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top