• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady KestrelluckyloserMike the WinoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adding Previous Number Of Comments To Current Ones

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Sorry if this was covered before. But how can I add my previous number of comments (before this site was hacked) to the current ones that are shown now. Also, have you considered changing the format so that the most current comments are up front rather than last … seems more user-friendly that way.

Life is a riddle waiting to be solved.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

This issue has nothing to do with the site hack we experienced. Any comments made on the “old” AG simply weren’t (and won’t be) imported when the site migrated over to a whole new engine. 

There may or may not be a way to offer the option to view comments in reverse order; that’s a software issue and is something we can look into.  If it has to be one or the other, however, I’d rather keep it the way it is.  I find reading from bottom to top to be extraordinarily unnatural.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Quick follow up to this. What I meant to say above is that the article comment count wasn’t imported. The comments themselves all were. In terms of counts, everyone started over when the new site launched.

Not to single you out here, as you certainly aren’t alone, but I must say, why does anyone, anywhere, pay the slightest attention to post counts? Surely it’s the most trivial stat ever invented, no? Why is a bigger post count even considered a good thing? I don’t get it.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

It may be more natural to read from start to finish but most people don’t have the time to read lengthy threads and, therefore, appreciate having the most current comments up front. Any software surely offers that option.

As for number of posts being irrelevant: I think it is better to be accurate if possible but I am not overly concerned about it. There has been a lot of meaningful discussion over the years that could still be relevant and of interest currently. People stating their views and ideas should be valued because otherwise this would just be an ad site. All these thoughts from so many people seem a little lost in the archives.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

AprilLives - 19 March 2013 05:09 PM

All these thoughts from so many people seem a little lost in the archives.

Wait. Now I’m confused. Are you talking about article comments, or about the forum?
Both are vastly different things.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

TimovieMan - 19 March 2013 06:37 PM

All these thoughts from so many people seem a little lost in the archives.

Wait. Now I’m confused. Are you talking about article comments, or about the forum?
Both are vastly different things.

I am talking about all the forum comments made over many years about various games in various threads that have gone I suppose into the archives or perhaps were not imported (and are now extinct?) since migrating to this new engine that seemed to happen simultaneously with the hacking. By the way, I am impressed you have managed to make 1269 comments since the relatively recent changes. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

AprilLives - 19 March 2013 07:50 PM

I am talking about all the forum comments made over many years about various games in various threads that have gone I suppose into the archives or perhaps were not imported (and are now extinct?) since migrating to this new engine that seemed to happen simultaneously with the hacking.

Actually, the hacking (or at least severe spam attack) was shortly after the migration, iirc.

All the old forum posts are still available in the archives, so it often pays to check there (especially if you remember an interesting thread from a while back). They’re definitely not gone, just archived.

The comments on the site’s articles, features and reviews have migrated to this site engine, so you can still find them under their relative articles, features or reviews. Wink

If you check the main site, you’ll probably notice a lot has improved since last year. That’s because of the engine migration. User reviews and the likes are now possible, for instance, as well as more categories of game genres/platforms/etc.
The downside of this improvement in the engine, is that the old forum had to be archived and couldn’t be imported (and frankly, isn’t as advanced now as it used to be). But that’s really small potatoes compared to the improvements on the main site.

By the way, I am impressed you have managed to make 1269 comments since the relatively recent changes. Smile

Well, the post count should only make it obvious that I’m a regular (and overactive Tongue) poster here, and that I probably know all the other regulars. But that’s about all a post count should say. It doesn’t say anything about the quality of one’s posts (or about the amount of posts made in the ‘chit chat’ subforum)... Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

It may be more natural to read from start to finish but most people don’t have the time to read lengthy threads and, therefore, appreciate having the most current comments up front.

This makes no sense to me at all. People don’t want to read a whole bunch of comments, so they’ll only read the last few? Why wouldn’t they they be just as interested in the first few? If they’ve already read many of them, that’s different, but then they’re hardly required to re-read them all again, just scroll past them. No biggie.

Out of curiosity, why aren’t you asking for the forums to work like this, too? Tongue Surely it’s the same principle.

As for the “lost” forum posts, they haven’t gone anywhere. There’s a big fat link to the archives at the bottom of the page. Wink So it’s one extra click to find all those old threads.

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Jackal - 19 March 2013 11:30 PM

It may be more natural to read from start to finish but most people don’t have the time to read lengthy threads and, therefore, appreciate having the most current comments up front.

This makes no sense to me at all. People don’t want to read a whole bunch of comments, so they’ll only read the last few? Why wouldn’t they they be just as interested in the first few? If they’ve already read many of them, that’s different, but then they’re hardly required to re-read them all again, just scroll past them. No biggie.

Out of curiosity, why aren’t you asking for the forums to work like this, too? Tongue Surely it’s the same principle.

As for the “lost” forum posts, they haven’t gone anywhere. There’s a big fat link to the archives at the bottom of the page. Wink So it’s one extra click to find all those old threads.

The title of this section is “forum feedback”. Thought ideas were welcome. It just makes more sense to me to have the latest comment first not last. But hey it’s okay with me if you don’t agree. No worries.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Ideas are welcome. I just asked you to explain your rationale.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top