• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDaleIronCretinJdawg445kanaifurtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Lair of the Clockwork God

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Gatekeeper requested a new thread be opened, so this is it.

Gatekeeper -

]Watching those store videos made me feel “WTF?!”, so it wasn’t quite what the series is supposed to be all about. Also, the devs said at one point that they tried to come up with a sequel, but couldn’t do it and abandoned the idea. Apparently, they thought of a new concept that gave them a creative outlet to do it. The problem is, most of the time when adventure series try to re-invent themselves the result is horrible, like Mask of Eternity.

I will try that game some time later on, as Time, Gentlemen, Please! is one of the bestest games ever, this one could also be a positive surprise. But if those videos are indicative of anything, I seem to dislike almost everything I see there.  Frown

(And this discussion is probably completely off-topic in this thread, somebody who plays that game can open a new thread for it?)

I can say that after a few hours with this game that it’s 100% not horrible at all. It’s completely hilarious, and a continuation of the other Ben & Dan games. In fact think it’s even better. If you’re a fan of those then you’ll most likely love the game.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

This game is at least a 9/10. Almost everything it does it does it impeccably (it’s not exactly an adventure but at least 50% of the characters in the game are adventurers!) I love that even some of its flaws are actually big parts of the game (but I won’t spoil it further).

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-06-17

PM

Thanks you two, glad you enjoyed it! Smile

Quick update for anyone interested: it’s now available on Steam and Gog, and for Mac and Linux as well as Windows.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

This game is incredible, and so innovative. Very surprised it’s not getting more attention. Yes it’s cheesy, yes the controls take getting used to, but it’s made with so much detail and love for the craft of adventure games. It really achieves those feelings of joy in getting to explore new seasons and solve new puzzles. The story, the mechanics and the solutions are very surprising and fresh. I think combining platforming and P&C and into such meta gameplay is brilliant. I don’t play games with mouse and keyboard so much anymore, I play on my TV (PC hookup and PS4), so I appreciate ways to make gameplay feel tactile. In the last few years, there have been some wonderful genre busting experiences that have totally elevated this genre.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It took a little time for me to get over “but i didnt want to play a platformer right now”.. and im thoroughly enjoying this. Its begrudgingly a platformer with a lot of great adventure elements.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

I enjoyed it a lot. I have a feeling the genre mix is going to put a few people off, but it really shouldn’t. The platforming is gentle, and it’s no more difficult than The Cave or other hybrids.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^There have been some action sequences that nearly put me off… definitely some frustrating stuff for me. Also I mostly used a controller but had to stop and switch to keyboard/mouse for the gun stuff.. that mechanic doesnt fit well on controller the way it is. The game is very clever though.. a lot of very nicely done puzzles with a variety of “aha” moments.. and I havnt quite finished it yet (very near the end I believe) but I havnt yet needed to consult a walkthrough for anything. (I needed to for both of the first games in some cases where the pixel hunting was not working for me). One particular puzzle highlight in this game: Using the “glitch” to get the last ram. I just suddenly had a “oh youre kidding me thats going to work” moment. They never really fooled me with thinking the store was real, but I really thought that was a real slightly annoying glitch.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished the game, and I must say I haven’t laughed that much since Disco Elysium and Hypnospace Outlaw. Ben and Dan destroyed gaming, I will never look at adventure games and platformers the same way Smile Just listening to Ben’s constant rants about how all problems should be solved through oldschool point-n-clicking, by using everything on everything and not thinking about the consequences reminded me of myself. And the part when they were walking through a “walking sim”, with Dan commenting on the “deep story” and Ben getting more and more irritated was brilliant Grin

The indi platforming mocking was also great, that “glitch” totally got me as well as all sort of thematic levels. That said, I agree with many that platforming itself was nothing special and the game mostly shines as an adventure. But it’s still a much better mix than Ron Gilber’s The Cave or Forgotton Anne. In fact it is closer to metroidavanias of the Cave Story kind where quests and action coexist in harmony. And Gobliins (the second chapter) of course, could be even called a spiritual successor.

Loved all the references to both gaming and social issues, the “resurrection zone” and the whole “millenials” chapter in particular. I was a bit afraid that puzzle-wise Clockwork God would be on the casual side in order to satisfy action gamers. And puzzles are indeed rather simple at first, but soon they get pretty tricky. I like how Ben, as a true adventure gamer, never recycles his items and finds tons of uses for a lollipop or a skull in a hat while Dan provides some inventive physical solutions. And while the story is just a mix of everything possible, it still contains enough food for thought and makes you care for those crazy guys. I’ll definitely wait for a sequel, the Ben & Dan games are getting better and better with every new adventure.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Thumbs Up Great game, funniest I’ve played in ages. I didn’t think about Gobliins, but you’re right about the similarities.
Oh, and did you play Devil’s Kiss?

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vehelon - 07 July 2020 07:04 AM

Oh, and did you play Devil’s Kiss?

I did, even twice for different story branches. A funny parody of visual novels and the 1990s gaming culture and just cool in general - a whole game in a game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-06-17

PM

Hi all, thanks for the further lovely responses, glad you all enjoyed it!

It was also great to get a 4/5 review and to win the Aggie Award, plus Runner-Up in a few different categories Smile

Anyway, sorry for the necro-post, but this is something that hopefully a lot of you will be interested in: Lair Of The Clockwork God is getting a Limited Run physical release for Switch and PS4! It’s got a grail-diary-style journal full of lore and jokes and lovely art; posters, postcards and a pin with a bunch of exclusive art; physical copy of the amazing soundtrack; physical edition of the game in a trendy modern (reversible) cover and with a stupidly overwritten manual; all bundled up in a nice retro Big Box!

We put a ridiculous amount of work into this, I’m really hoping it does well. Check it out here (and please share)! Orders close on the 30th January and then it will never be available again!

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/lair-of-the-clockwork-god

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top