• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady KestrelluckyloserrtrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

the games database

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

CaliMonk - 18 February 2019 09:31 AM

Working on it at the moment. What’s the ‘main’ feature you’re missing, out of curiosity?

For me, the most important are: Control (Point & click filter) and perspective (3rd person filter)

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Good feedback, has helped me a lot :-)

I’ll probably start utilising the old page/system to morph that into a new experience that’s more around discovery of new games. Currently there’s too many games that get presented IMHO.

I’ve also expanded the functionality on game pages, so that it suggests somewhat similar games to the game you’re viewing, e.g.:

https://adventuregamers.com/games/view/16661
https://adventuregamers.com/games/view/22147

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CaliMonk - 20 February 2019 10:44 AM

I’ve also expanded the functionality on game pages, so that it suggests somewhat similar games to the game you’re viewing, e.g.:

This is brilliant!
What’s the algorithm used?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 20 February 2019 11:00 AM
CaliMonk - 20 February 2019 10:44 AM

This is brilliant!
What’s the algorithm used?

Well, it’s a bit of my own sauce I’d say, lol. It’s far from as sophisticated as I’d like to have it, but it generally looks at games with similar control scheme’s, art style, perspective and potential themes.

Tweaked a bit here and there to now give you the overview it does, it’s sorted based on our review ratings, so higher rated games would get preference (after it matches on above factors). I’ll expand on it in the future, but I’m reasonably happy with it so far (give or take a few strange recommendations).

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I found a search page for upcoming games, that you can search with criteria (2,5D, point & click etc) but not for games in a database. Also it would be crucial to be able to select if it is 1st or 3rd person…

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

You mean the discover page? Will take your suggestions for it. As for search for games, you can use the general search page for thay

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2019-06-14

PM

Hi, I want to say that I like your website, I really like that in Discovery search you can sort out presentation and choose 3D, also controls and choose keyboard or gamepad. But I would really appreciate some improvements in game discovery search. The biggest problem that I have with it is that if game belongs to two genres like for example
Life is Strange Genre: Drama, Mystery
or
Until Down Genre: Horror, Thriller
Than discovery does not find the game, it only finds games that belongs to one category. I think discovery should find game if it belongs to either of those genres despite it being mixed. Also I would like to see in Genre option ability to choose “any” meaning include all, like other filters: presentation, gameplay, control have.

Also in Discovery search being able to sort out games by their release date would be very beneficial.

Also filtering out games could be nice feature if for example you do not want Gameplay Puzzle to appear you could filter it out. But maybe it is for the future, first please fix mixed genres search in Discovery.

Thank you for your work and I am looking forward at using your game discovery search in its full potential.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

QuestDon,
I deleted the duplicate of your post in another thread about the database.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

TimovieMan - 07 November 2018 02:51 AM

Just popping in to say that searching by year often helps in the research for forum quizzes. Tongue

Amen to that :-)

I used the control (1st/3rd person), the graphical style (2D, 3D, realist, cartoonish, etc) and the “by decade” filters the most, IIRC.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

QuestDon - 14 June 2019 03:46 AM

Hi, I want to say that I like your website, I really like that in Discovery search you can sort out presentation and choose 3D, also controls and choose keyboard or gamepad. But I would really appreciate some improvements in game discovery search. The biggest problem that I have with it is that if game belongs to two genres like for example
or
Than discovery does not find the game, it only finds games that belongs to one category. I think discovery should find game if it belongs to either of those genres despite it being mixed. Also I would like to see in Genre option ability to choose “any” meaning include all, like other filters: presentation, gameplay, control have.

Also in Discovery search being able to sort out games by their release date would be very beneficial.

Also filtering out games could be nice feature if for example you do not want Gameplay Puzzle to appear you could filter it out. But maybe it is for the future, first please fix mixed genres search in Discovery.

Thank you for your work and I am looking forward at using your game discovery search in its full potential.

Appreciate the feedback (saw this a bit ago, but didn’t get around to looking into it yet), it should certainly not take games that only fit to a single category so I’ll look into resolving that. Additionally, the feedback on more options/different options is much appreciated, I wanted to see how people would use it (and if they would) more before making changes, but I think I have a relative better idea now :-)

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

You should set up a search where you can upload a screenshot and it tells you what game it is. Apparently Google can recognize pictures of cats now, so it shouldn’t be too hard. And it would make it easier to cheat on the “Adventure game scene… uh game” thread Grin

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

CaliMonk - 27 June 2019 03:24 AM
QuestDon - 14 June 2019 03:46 AM

or

Appreciate the feedback (saw this a bit ago, but didn’t get around to looking into it yet), it should certainly not take games that only fit to a single category so I’ll look into resolving that. Additionally, the feedback on more options/different options is much appreciated, I wanted to see how people would use it (and if they would) more before making changes, but I think I have a relative better idea now :-)

It will now look at all the categories, not just exact matches. So if you pick Horror, you’ll get all games that have Horror associated with it, even if they have more then just horror.

You can additionally select “Any” for the Genre now

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

MoonBird - 20 February 2019 09:39 AM
CaliMonk - 18 February 2019 09:31 AM

Working on it at the moment. What’s the ‘main’ feature you’re missing, out of curiosity?

For me, the most important are: Control (Point & click filter) and perspective (3rd person filter)

Both are now present

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Didn’t want to start new topic, but when I go to Upcoming Releases (kinda…sorta…game database question), page 5 never loads. It’s just blank. Games are moving according to dates, but I have to always go from 4 to 6.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top