• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The review of The Guest, from adventuregamers, failed me.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

So, this site is my number one site for reading adventure game reviews.  I am going away on vacation in a few days, so I wanted a quick game to play before leaving.  I wanted a game with puzzles and an atmosphere, and I greatly enjoyed the game.  However, I had one major stumbling block, that ended up being caused by the review here.

The review talks about how you could pick up many of the items, but many are unnecessary, so be sparing in what you pick up.  There was one item that had something written on it that was a minor clue.  I had already discovered the area that it was giving a clue about, so I left the item there.  I eventually became stuck in the game.  After stumbling around for waaaay too long, I finally looked at a walkthrough.  I needed an item that was directly behind that first item.  There is no way to get to it unless you pick up the first item.  Had I played like I normally would have, and picked everything up, I never would have gotten stuck.

This isn’t a big deal, but I figured I’d throw it out there.  Why write in a review that you don’t need to pick up every item when you KNOW that if you don’t pick up every item, you may not be able to progress in the game, since another item is directly behind and blocked by an item!?

Behind the useless jazz record is a bracelet, needed for the strange item.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

darthmaul - 29 May 2018 03:19 PM

This isn’t a big deal

Agreed

but I figured I’d throw it out there.

Why? My first thought was, “A review is not a guide. Don’t use it as one, then blame it when it doesn’t do what it’s not meant to.” 

be sparing in what you pick up.

I searched for this, and could not find where the review actually says this; rather, it even mentions to feel free to play your usual way and pick up everything. Maybe I missed it; if so, point it out to me. I suspect though that this is just your interpretation that best fits your argument. Actually, what the review DOES say is that if you pass up something you need, you can simply go back and find it without penalty. So, yeah…?

“Drinking rum before 10 a.m. makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic!”

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

As the review writer in question, there’s not much to add to what Ninjababynight has already said. The review definitely does not say what you’re claiming it does. What it does say, specifically, is:

What’s unusual about this game is that you usually get to choose whether to stash the item you’re holding in inventory or put it back where you found it. There’s no apparent limit to how many items you can carry, so if you’re well-versed in the genre’s “pick up anything that isn’t nailed down” philosophy, you’ll probably be tempted to keep everything just in case. But there’s a reason you’re given a choice: many objects have no use at all, nor is there any obvious means of getting rid of anything you’ve collected. So it’s really up to you whether you want stuffed pockets full of red herrings or not. If you do opt for discretion, as I did, there’s no penalty for passing up something you’ll end up needing. It’ll still be there waiting when you go back for it, at most a mere four rooms away even when the game finally opens up.

If I HAD offered any actual advice about how many of what sorts of things to pick up, I’d have surely recommended picking up things that have, you know, clues on them.

Hey, I can sympathize with getting stuck. I hate that. But no matter how hard you try to blame it, it’s not the review’s fault that the developers hid one necessary item behind another. That’s a particularly obnoxious form of pixel hunting.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

” you’ll probably be tempted to keep everything just in case.  But there’s a reason you’re given a choice: many objects have no use at all, “

That suggests it isn’t worthwhile to pick everything up.  However, as someone who was supposed to finish the game, they would also know that if someone doesn’t pick everything up, they wouldn’t be able to finish the game.  So, to me, it makes no sense in even suggesting the possibility of not picking everything up, which would make it impossible for someone to finish the game. 

“If I HAD offered any actual advice…”

Well, you absolutely did.  There is no “had” involved.

“about how many of what sorts of things to pick up, I’d have surely recommended picking up things that have, you know, clues on them.”

Why would you pick up an item that has a clue written on it, that you can clearly see without picking it up?  Selecting an item lets you twirl it around.  So, even though you used the clue already, the reviewer that suggests that your inventory gets cluttered with useless things, should still pick it up anyway?

“Hmm, this item has information on it that I’ve already discovered.  I guess I should just pick it up anyway!  I mean, the review did say that there was lots of junk to clog up your inventory..  But since it has a clue that I ALREADY USED, I should still pick it up!”

That is some incredible logic there!

It is disappointing to see this kind of response, but I guess not that surprising.  People can’t criticism. and don’t like to admit when they are wrong

I stupidly listened to the review, and I certainly won’t make that mistake, especially since the mistake was doubled down on.

Very high integrity here.

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Ninjabynight - 29 May 2018 03:57 PM

Why? My first thought was, “A review is not a guide. Don’t use it as one, then blame it when it doesn’t do what it’s not meant to.”

This is so asinine that I can’t believe it was uttered.  A review states information, but since it is a review, the information within it should be ignored?  Only opinions should be read, and the rest ignored right?  Might as well strip all of the reviews of all information, because the information can’t be trusted, and it shouldn’t be, because information isn’t the purpose of the review. 

Brilliant.  Absolutely brilliant.

How about, don’t put information in a review that would directly lead into players not being able to complete the game?  Nope!  Information in reviews can’t be trusted because the purpose of a review is an opinion.  Everything else is just unreliable and shouldn’t be put into your brain as meaning anything!  Gotcha!  Thanks for that!

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I have only one question, because I can’t be bothered wading through all this nonsense:

Do you deny that many items in the game are not necessary, and therefore not necessary to keep as inventory?

If not, you agree with exactly what the review said. If you read into it some imaginary instruction NOT to collect things that have clues on them, that’s entirely on you.

Everything else you’ve written is just white noise.

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

darthmaul - 29 May 2018 04:29 PM

” you’ll probably be tempted to keep everything just in case.  But there’s a reason you’re given a choice: many objects have no use at all, “

That suggests it isn’t worthwhile to pick everything up.

No, it suggests many objects have no use. Like it literally says. Is that true? I haven’t played the game, so I don’t know how many useless objects land in your inventory, but that is the point being made by that statement.

A review is there to criticize and evaluate, not teach you how to play that game or give you hints for it. It did criticize the number of useless items. Sounds to me like you’re just salty that it took you a long time to find some item, which is a gripe you should have with the dev, not a review of the game. Unless, of course, you’re reading reviews and expecting walkthroughs, which, again, is not their intention.

And you call my comment asinine.

“Drinking rum before 10 a.m. makes you a pirate, not an alcoholic!”

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Incidentally, it’s ironic that you’ve tried pulling the “can’t take criticism” accusation, because we literally just made changes to the Unforeseen Incidents review based on reader concerns.

So you see, we welcome legitimate issues with our work. Just not… whatever this is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top