• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What the hell is this?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I got this message today while accessing this site, this prompt comes immediately after page loads

adventuregamers.com Would Like To Use Your Computing Power

You can support adventuregamers.com by allowing them to use your processor for calculations. The calculations are securely executed in your Browser’s sandbox. You don’t need to install anything.

Calimonk wats up?

Meh

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yeah, good question, is it folding@home or something?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

my laptop is overheating too i mean eating processor memory

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 19 December 2017 04:16 PM

Yeah, good question, is it folding@home or something?

Probably mining bitcoin.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

It’s really annoying, is what it is.

I have to put up with this message every time I load a page on the site

AdGuard has detected an attempt by this website to use your browser as a crypto-currency miner. It can create significant CPU load. Press “Cancel” to prevent it

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

My antivirus does a ton of blocks now when visiting this page. Yeah its bitcoin mining.. the idea is a sort of alternative to ads, by having visitors instead mine bitcoins. I dont like it. BTW trustwave estimates the average user of regular web browser bit coin mining would see a 5-10$ monthly increase on their electric bill, depending where you live.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

It’s not bitcoin mining, but something similar. I’ve disabled it again, it’s something I was trying as an alternative to see impact for users while trying to figure out how we can keep this site afloat (costs wise). Clearly this doesn’t work either, so you won’t see it back (it was a small test)

By the way, this was _only_ active for users that have adblocking enabled. Which is part of the problem. It’s almost 60% of all users now, which I understand as I don’t per se like advertising, but we need to figure out how to keep going as well.

We have an alternative idea that we’ll communicate about soon. This system won’t come back, so no worries.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

CaliMonk - 20 December 2017 04:32 AM

By the way, this was _only_ active for users that have adblocking enabled.

I am a little bit disturbed that you know what software I’m running on my PC but ok…

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Luhr28 - 20 December 2017 04:55 AM
CaliMonk - 20 December 2017 04:32 AM

By the way, this was _only_ active for users that have adblocking enabled.

I am a little bit disturbed that you know what software I’m running on my PC but ok…

Obviously, I don’t, that’s not how it works. A website can detect that advertising can’t load quite easily, has nothing to do with your computer. We would never know what someone runs on their PC, nor would we want that.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

CaliMonk, if you need revenue to keep this site alive is there another way to keep it going that members can help with? aside from Ads that do encroach on other areas of browsing aside from this site & the bitthingummy which doesn’t look too promising ...& MalawareBytes aren’t entertaining that one as far as I’ve gleaned! Laughing

Merchandising can be a way to go   ....maybe?  Smile

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

We have some concrete ideas here that we’ll announce in January :-)

The essence is that we’ll always try to choose User Experience and our readers over doing things that purely push revenue, the downside is that this comes at a price that doesn’t always make it easy to run a website like this. We’re however in it for the long run and would rather work with our readers to figure out what does work for everyone, knowing that Advertising as a medium in its current form will continue to be under pressure and decrease.

Merch is an idea, what would you like to see as Merch (we have some things cooking there as well).

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

CaliMonk - 21 December 2017 07:03 AM

We have some concrete ideas here that we’ll announce in January :-)

The essence is that we’ll always try to choose User Experience and our readers over doing things that purely push revenue, the downside is that this comes at a price that doesn’t always make it easy to run a website like this. We’re however in it for the long run and would rather work with our readers to figure out what does work for everyone, knowing that Advertising as a medium in its current form will continue to be under pressure and decrease.

Merch is an idea, what would you like to see as Merch (we have some things cooking there as well).

I can’t give too much thought to this at the moment until well into the New Year but selling ‘merchandise’ could help but the platform for selling will do far better if it’s not restricted to this site as the customer base is far too limited.

I bought 2 beautiful ‘music boxes’ a few years ago from Kan Gao the developer of To the Moon – they’re well-crafted & truly lovely but the point is that I gave one as a present to someone who loved it but doesn’t play AGs & was not familiar with the game.

The music boxes were something the developer went ahead & did & I’m not suggesting anything so intricate but there’s a wealth of art-work, quotes, ideas etc contained within games that could be used for T-shirts, posters, mugs, cushions, greeting cards? etc etc etc that may appeal to a wider ‘oblivious audience’ than just games-players. 
Yes, the immediate problem is copyright but I’ve got this crazy idea that working with exclusively Indie commercial + freeware developers to use their images &/or ideas could be of mutual benefit to Adventure Gamers & themselves if they also gain a little revenue & their games are potentially advertised further afield? 

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Merch is not sustainable for longer term
However Youtube vid reviews could bring some reviews if all here will check them , just clicks
Above all you should try opening Patreon page , its a must nowadays
Almost everyone is benefiting from it in some way

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

nomadsoul - 21 December 2017 11:06 AM

Merch is not sustainable for longer term….

I think as long as the merchandise has a general appeal it could work?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

chrissie - 21 December 2017 11:10 AM
nomadsoul - 21 December 2017 11:06 AM

Merch is not sustainable for longer term….

I think as long as the merchandise has a general appeal it could work?

I was thinking along the lines of members buying frequently to keep the revenue stream constant, which could be a hit and miss, could be wrong though

Infact with Patreon they can add Merch type tiers within that, many people do that
So high level supporters can get merch and other stuff, while frequent low cash coming in anyway for those who dont want to buy merch but want to drop few $ occasionally

edit

I dont know the target goal, but there are some youtube outlets i know who are making more than 70 k per month on patreon

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top