• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Problem with ads

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ve made a lot of changes today, keeping all the screensizes in mind is challenging but think I’ve improved itn overall. Guessing those iphone screenshots are of an iphone 5.

As the site was never build with mobile devices in mind I have to do some creative tricks to get things to work. The new site will keep this in mind from the get-go.

Please keep reporting issues as I do want to get this wite as good as it can be on mobile (without making you zoom continuously…)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the site looks different, half sized, but all in place, thanks CaliMonk

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

It remains a challenge to display all the info you normally have on such a small screen :-)

You normally probably zoomed in and out before, which is do-able but not ideal either. I’ve hidden certain elements at smaller screensizes to focus more on elements that matter. Sometimes adding some less then ideal stricks, but mostly I think better then it was with scrolling and zoomin.

If you see anything really weird or you think shouldn’t be the way it is, do let me know.

As context, the reason I’m doing this is because if you come from Twitter, Facebook or other platforms as a new user from your tablet of phone, you expect a website that is optimized to your screensize; otherwise it will simply scare you away in most of the cases (especially if you’re new).

When looking at how Google approaches websites, it simply says that if you’re not optimizing the website for different screensizes, that the site is ‘mobile unfriendly’ (this even goes for tablet sizes) which we were up until before I made these changes. That make Google see AG as less relevant, which is something we’d obviously like to not have :-)

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

In future as a ‘solution’ I’d see us having an actual mobile app, besides a new website that was build with mobile in mind from the start that is Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what is going on with site look on PC, things look are very strange. (and) where is the search box?

thanx

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

if Marek took the artefact that makes the site run normally with him and hid it we are all ready to hunt it down… i will start from here next to the pyramids

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2011-02-27

PM

Muahahahah!

(No such problems for me though…)

Retired AG founder

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Do you have a screenshot Advie?

What I -think- you’re seeing is that on a smaller window (browser window, like Google Chrome) some site elements are being hidden. This is part of making the site adopt to the actual available size. I’ve hidden some parts (like the search box) as my on-going efforts to find the right balance (and then to move some stuff under some sort of ‘more’ button).

This has been an interesting journey for me so far, as I’ve learned a lot more people were used to using the site on their mobile then I thought would be, even if the design required a lot of zooming and pinching :-)

If you widen your browser size it should be OK. I’ll look and see if I can work in the searchbox on a different position if the screensize allows it.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Made some changes so the Search box should be there when there is space (e.g. on an iPad)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the search box appears now Thumbs Up

look at those images CaliMonk, as you said there is something wrong at chrome with different sizes, over the size (at chrome) of 110% things start to look strange, like these

the one below is at 125%, as you see the main page looks strange with everything at the middle and that cause many features to disappear at the right column

at the one below only the search box, is at a different place than the usual

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Interesting.. Not sure what the 110% or 125% have to do with it generally, as that shouldn’t influence the actual size of the window (e.g. if I zoom in or out in Chrome absolutely nothing changes with the design, just larger font).

I’ll look into alignment of some texts, the ‘strange middle alignment’ that you mention is intended, that’s how the site would look on an iPad that’s in portrait mode. The search box on your bottom alignment is indeed on the next line, I positioned it there, although in the design you see I wouldn’t expect that yet. I’ll look more into breakpoints (that’s the point in which a design changes based on available space).

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

ah, i see you re trying to maintain a certain look that works for Window and iOS/Android just the same, that must be very tiresome..  good luck.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

The text on the forum should stay within the box now when you zoom-in. Never realised the behaviour changes when you zoom in or out, another thing to keep in mind when testing :-)

Will keep this in mind in other parts as well, it’s a gradual approach I’m taking to ensure the site works well on different screen sizes. The ultimate goal is a bigger redesign that is in the works, but I want to also have some changes on the current platform that make it easier to use on different screens.

Please do keep reporting issues, it helps me a lot Smile

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Made some changes to the breakpoint as well, so it should keep current site layout a bit longer, until it -just- about fits, then it jumps. Let me know if that works better

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

sorry CaliMonk but i dont know what a ‘breakpoint’ is, but i will keep you posted if i see anything strange.
———————-

the image is taken from my android, this is full screen, as you see there is no ability to see the rest of the post.

Image Attachments

Screenshot_2016-12-06-17-54-56_(1).gif

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top