• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyGabrielLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 49 Post Mortem

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The Microids’ catalog is quite diverse. I think most adventure game players think of Microids in terms of games that Sokol designed for the company. Those only number six, unless I missed something. Amerzone, Post Mortem, Still Life 1, Still Life 2, Syberia 1 and Syberia 2.

The list does not include games such as Paradise that Solkol designed under a different umbrella. And it’s hard for me to think of Syberia 3 as a Sokol game.

Of the six I think Post Mortem is the weakest game. But, to be fair, it was the first game that involved a lot of character interaction. Sokol got his feet wet with this game. And the problems we uncovered in this game were, by and large, corrected in the next four.

Personal opinion is that Amerzone is highly underrated, and probably deserves a playthrough somewhere down the line. And I still think Post Mortem was a great choice for a playthrough despite it’s flaws. And I’m glad we played it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tim, I think you’ve got some names mixed up.

While the games you mention are indeed all Microids games, the ones that Benoît Sokal designed are the Syberia games, Amerzone and Paradise.
Sokal had nothing to do with Post Mortem and the Still Life games.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve made that mistake before.  Pan  But Paradise still isn’t a Microids’ game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Tomorrow’s the big day, this game will be unpinned.

Thanks everyone for a really fun CPT.

I wonder what our next game will be?

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Thanks for an awesome playthrough, Mike.  I had a lot of fun although I wasn’t around as much as I’d like at the end.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Admin - please unpin this game.

All - thanks for playing, we had a great time with this game !

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Unpinned - even though I haven’t quite finished the game yet. Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks, you can of course keep playing and post your comments on the game ending you get.

Heart

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I picked up the game again, reaching de Allepin’s house. But since picking up the patient files in Dr. Kaufman’s office, the interface for viewing documents is misbehaving. I cannot read Eaton’s patient file, nor the files I picked up in de Allepin’s study. Did others encounter this bug? Are these files important?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

kabouter - 20 November 2018 02:30 PM

Did others encounter this bug? Are these files important?

I didn’t encounter that bug. The files are important inasmuch as they contain information that you use in discussion with other characters. I don’t know whether you actually need to read them, as opposed to simply having them in your possession.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

kabouter - 20 November 2018 02:30 PM

I picked up the game again, reaching de Allepin’s house. But since picking up the patient files in Dr. Kaufman’s office, the interface for viewing documents is misbehaving. I cannot read Eaton’s patient file, nor the files I picked up in de Allepin’s study. Did others encounter this bug? Are these files important?

I have a similar bug, but it only happens when transitioning from the last file in the list to the first. Suddenly I get a “file not found” and can then only view the first three or so files.
Exiting the files and re-entering fixes this, though.

Still playing, btw. I’ve completed the book with the dials and am now looking for the Head of Baphomet that Hulot must’ve hidden somewhere.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Yes, I got that bug and finished the game without having read all of the information.

As TimovieMan says, you can access some of the files by starting from other file positions but it’s far from ideal!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Somehow, this game played perfectly on my 12 inch laptop computer with windows 8.1

I hope this is a trend in the future.

Good news is that I am going to replay the game again and see if I can get a different ending.

Overall, a really good game actually. It surprised me with its goodness. Way better than 2 stars.

Heart

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finally finished the game!

Spent a lot of time on the fresco puzzle. Found all the parts except for one. Had to look VERY long for that last part.

This reminded me of the face sketch puzzle. Finish it for 90+%, have a result that should be enough to get you further, be stuck on a detail because the game doesn’t accept your answer.

For the face sketch, I only had the ears wrong. No response from the guy I showed it to. Get the ears right and OMG, he recognizes who it is! I had to look three times to tell the difference between my sketch and the walkthrough answer!!!

Same thing here: I only lacked the upper left part of the sign. I had the name written out correctly, which should be enough to know where to go. The letters are all that matter as the in-game hint. But no, you have to get the entire drawing right.

Hell, I had to use a walkthrough twice in this game. Once for the face sketch puzzle, and once for the cipher book puzzle. I had the right letters, but in reverse order, and I had no friggin’ idea what to do with the numbers. Even with the solution I’m still not sure why that particular solution is correct.

I like the general story, the small supernatural element, the entire investigation, the structure (that little break as Hellouin was excellent), the graphics (well, the character animations haven’t aged well, but they were good enough for the time period), etc. It’s a solid game.
But it’s VERY flawed.

They tried something interesting with the different dialogue paths, but more often than not, it only lead to odd dialogues where you’re suddenly talking about something you shouldn’t have known yet.
Then we have the issue with the two puzzles I talked about earlier. And needing a walkthrough twice (and still being unsure about the “why” of the solution).
And an unnecessary “deus ex machina” moment with the subway train leading you to the secret boarded up hallway.

Funny thing there: when [spoiler]the screen went black, I thought it was a bug. Took me a while to figure out I needed a flashlight.[spoiler] Tongue
Would have been clearer if the hallway entrance wasn’t pitch black as well. That way I would at least know that the issue was that “it’s too dark”, instead of thinking it’s a bug in the visuals…

I also don’t get why they can animate all characters we actually talk to, but all the other characters are just still cardboard cutouts in the background. Animating them too would go a very long way.

Other weird visual stuff (possibly just bugs on my end): when picking up the lit candle, the candle disappears, but the flame stays in place, just hovering there. Tongue
And during the ending sequence, Kaufner disappears right at the end of his monologue, and when the camera angle changes, he’s suddenly next to you. It’s like he teleport-glitched there. Smile

I played both endings. First I destroyed the head, so I could subdue Kaufner.
Then I tried again and gave the head back, and then had another “deus ex machina” moment with Hellouin showing up to save me.
The final words of both endings are very similar, but in the second one it’s clearer who exactly you’re talking to. The second ending starts off with an illogical choice, though, so I prefer the first ending I got.

Good game, fun playthrough. A bit weirdly structured, maybe, but that’s got a lot to do with some branching options in the game.

A small aside: is a “transmigration” where de Allepin transfers his conscience to another person, here Kaufner, a bit like a reincarnation of Doctor Who? By that I mean, he’s still the same person with the same memories, but a new appearance and a new personality?
It’s the best explanation I have for the first forged letter (based on de Allepin-as-Kaufner’s writing) being rejected, and the second one (based on de Allepin-the-original’s writing) getting accepted.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure what you mean by the “cipher book” puzzle. If it’s the puzzle where you decode the four column/numerical puzzles, it’s a bitch! It’s one of those puzzle types where you either get it when you first look at it, or you’re never going to get it. I got it. But only because that type of puzzle, although much simpler, is a common staple in casual games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top