• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Any horror adventure game suggestions

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2015-08-16

PM

Hi all,
I have been playing adventure games quite a lot recently and am really in the mood for another horror style game.

The following is a list I’ve recently played and really enjoyed so would love a few more suggestions in the same vein

Fran bow
The cat lady
Downfall
Detention
Phantasmagoria

I am not interested in styles like Amnesia. I am more looking into titles that make you scared rather than just horror themed like Gabriel knight (which I also love).

I have also played the lost crown but stopped as I didn’t enjoy it.

Am I missing any excellent ones not on my list?

Thanks!

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Hi codetemplar…welcome to AG and the forum!

I suggest you scout the games database which you can access from any page on the site. I’ve attached a screen capture showing where to click. Once you’re in the database you can narrow down the types of games you’re looking for by clicking on the filters on the right side of the page. For example, under “Genre” you can select “Horror” and about three pages of games will populate the screen. And that’s just the titles starting with the letter “A”!!

All the games listed should have a description, and many have been fully reviewed, so you can pick and choose which ones meet your criteria.

Hope this helps!

clicky the thumbnail thingy for a bigger pic

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Scratches
Sanitarium
I Have no Mouth and I must Scream
Bad Mojo

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I’ve always wanted to check out those first clocktower games. Might be worth a look.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Corpse party. I cant vouch for any of the games beyond the first one, but the first one is fantastic. Must play in what youre looking for. I played the game on vita, i dont know exactly how different the steam version is (definitely some different art style). But its a scary, epic, well told game.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yahtzee’s Chzo Mythos.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The later Last Half of Darkness games are quite creepy: Shadows of the Servants, Beyond the spirits eye & Tomb of Zojir are 1st person; the last game Society of the Serpent Moon is 3rd person. I don’t know whether you can still get them?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Harvester
Shadow of the Comet
Dark Seed
Anchorhead
The Black Mirror
Stasis

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

chrissie - 18 July 2018 06:54 AM

The later Last Half of Darkness games are quite creepy: Shadows of the Servants, Beyond the spirits eye & Tomb of Zojir are 1st person; the last game Society of the Serpent Moon is 3rd person. I don’t know whether you can still get them?

Society of the Serpent Moon is available on Steam, and comes with the previous 3 games as a free bonus:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/384910/Last_Half_of_Darkness__Society_of_the_Serpent_Moon/

(and I wasn’t supposed to be buying any more games at the moment. Oops.)

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

zane - 17 July 2018 05:37 PM

Corpse party. I cant vouch for any of the games beyond the first one, but the first one is fantastic. Must play in what youre looking for. I played the game on vita, i dont know exactly how different the steam version is (definitely some different art style). But its a scary, epic, well told game.

Having played or watched LPs of all of them, I’d just stick with the first.

It’s not that the sequels are bad, but they really don’t bring anything new to the table.  It’s not a story that needs to be stretched out beyond one game.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah i did play one other.. book of shadows i think it was called, and it was so bad I havnt played anything else in the series. Just senseless gore.. a re-telling of the first game.. and the best chapter was the end which was really some kind of demo for the next game. Totally a shame, because i really like the first game.

Total Posts: 510

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Jonathan Boake’s Dark Fall is one of my favorite horror games. Quite different from his The Lost Crown.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Oscar - 18 July 2018 09:28 AM

Harvester
Shadow of the Comet
Dark Seed
Anchorhead
The Black Mirror
Stasis

Black Mirror series, for sure. If you’ve already played Phantasmagoria, the mansion setting will seem familiar - I’m still convinced the developer took a lot of the layout and look from Phantasmagoria. But the horror and story are different. Skip the recent remake, though.

Also, Shadow of the Comet. Traditional Lovecraftian horror - dated, but still totally worthy. It’s a slow burn at first, though - takes some time to get into, but totally ramps up and is worth it.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I always liked Amber: Journeys Beyond, but, as far as I know, it doesn’t play well with new computers and hasn’t been remade.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Some recently released games:

I’m currently about half-way through Stonewall Penitentiary and Horns of Fear and highly recommend both on what I’ve seen so far.  The former is more creepy than scary and the latter is downright terrifying at points!

Yeli Orog can be finished in 2 hours or less, only costs $3 and is a lot of fun.  Again, more creepy than scary though your mileage may vary.

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 July 2018 12:26 PM

I always liked Amber: Journeys Beyond, but, as far as I know, it doesn’t play well with new computers and hasn’t been remade.

I keep it on my shelf just in case. I’ve read about work-arounds, but I’ve never been able to get any to work. I know that it, like the original MYST, was made using quick time, and that is the heart of the problem. Too bad. That was one scary/creepy game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top