• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-01-18

PM

Just hope daedalic starts to double their voice acting budget because it’s still not up to the quality I want from an adventure game.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

nulian - 12 January 2014 05:36 AM

Just hope daedalic starts to double their voice acting budget because it’s still not up to the quality I want from an adventure game.

Yeah ... I’ve never tried any of these games except for A New Beginning, but I found the voice acting in that to be atrociously bad.  Worse than any other game I’ve played.  It was really distracting.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Detective Mosely - 12 January 2014 05:46 AM

Yeah ... I’ve never tried any of these games except for A New Beginning, but I found the voice acting in that to be atrociously bad.  Worse than any other game I’ve played.  It was really distracting.

ouch. Do yourself a favor and play some of the others. Because a new beginning is largely agreed to be the worst all-around. Voice acting is one of those strange things where what sounds great to one person, can easily sound terrible to another.. but i think everybody agrees a new beginning missed the mark. I really like the voices in deponia, night of the rabbit, and edna and harvey.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 12 January 2014 09:00 AM

ouch. Do yourself a favor and play some of the others. Because a new beginning is largely agreed to be the worst all-around. Voice acting is one of those strange things where what sounds great to one person, can easily sound terrible to another.. but i think everybody agrees a new beginning missed the mark. I really like the voices in deponia, night of the rabbit, and edna and harvey.

I haven’t playet Night of the Rabbit, but I think they’ve only managed to get passable voice performances. None of the games I’ve played from the have had voice acting I’d call good. In the best cases I didn’t mind the voices, but they weren’t something I’d miss if they would be removed.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

I’ve been on a bit of a Daedelic binge over the past few weeks and I have to say that while they’re probably the most promising company in the Adventure Game genre, they’ve yet to produce a genuine classic. There’s always some aspect that holds them back from the true greatness we’ve come to associate with companies such as LucasArts.

Voice acting is probably their weakest area. Poor voice acting can completely destroy goodwill towards a game - A New Beginning is okay as a game, but the emotionless acting makes the whole experience a slog. Even when Daedelic cast appropriate actors in the roles, the direction is scatter-shot and jarring, leading to inappropriate readings at certain moments. It may seem like a cosmetic issue, but considering so much about Adventure Games depends on the players relationship with and enjoyment of the characters and dialogue, it’s an area that you can’t afford to scrimp on.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Detective Mosely - 12 January 2014 05:46 AM
nulian - 12 January 2014 05:36 AM

It’s true, if Daedalic has any area with an obvious room for improvement, it’s definitely the voice acting, but you were unlucky with the game you chose. While I agree that no Daedalic games has top notch acting, like zane said, while a good game in itself, A New Beginning is largely agreed to have the worst voice acting of their catalogue. The whole game is acted with the same level of emotion you’d expect from someone reciting the phone book. Most other Daedalic games has passable (but not great) voice acting.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

somebody else sees the character movements at Silence are more like marching than walking ? Grin

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Advie - 12 January 2014 05:10 PM

somebody else sees the character movements at Silence are more like marching than walking ? Grin

Yeah… but I’ve got the feeling there will be running included, as well.

Dag - 11 January 2014 08:39 PM

TWW2 looks really good!

Sefir - 11 January 2014 09:19 PM

It is some kind of “pseydo 3D” or more accurately, they managed to retain the 2D feeling within a limited 3D environment.

Yeah, it’s as parallax scrolling was adopted to this kind of graphics, and looks as the middle ground between 2D/3D. Actually, the style/view is similar to Ankh, Ceville and also to Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure with the slight moving camera following character (though I believe this Youtube video was filmed directly from another monitor which adds to the confusion Grin).

But let’s see how the story/puzzles shapes up and how’ll they achieve the connection to the first game as hinted previously.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

there was no running at any Daedalic’ before , I would to see that changes really… but anyway I am ok with fast exiting so far ,it does the job.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

1954 Alcatraz review - lowest-rated Daedalic games to date… (and that’s the biggest score of all the reviews that are out) Bummer, I was expecting a “Shawshank Redemption” experience. The reviewer particularly didn’t like the puzzle design and graphics style.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2010-04-28

PM

diego - 25 January 2014 10:33 AM

1954 Alcatraz review - lowest-rated Daedalic games to date… (and that’s the biggest score of all the reviews that are out) Bummer, I was expecting a “Shawshank Redemption” experience. The reviewer particularly didn’t like the puzzle design and graphics style.

Yeah. It’s a real bummer. I saw this game in its entirety two years ago (as full script and graphics sketches. Translated it into German, too). The potential was really great and I still do believe that it’s got something strong going for it, but the 3D characters actually killed it for me.

The story is quite alright, the puzzles are quite alright, the (literal) characters are quite alright (in the way all ‘noir-characters’ are), the setting is stunning, as is the background art (I’ve lived in the area, so I should know)... Alas, I’m missing the magic. All in all it doesn’t come together as a whole. Still, I think it’s better than Face Noir.

(Don’t know about the gameplay, but I hate it when “actions” are taken and an animation is supposed to depict said action and the movements don’t actually represent the action that was supposed to have taken place… ).

Dammit! I believe it’s still above average, but very much below its potential and probably not worth the Daedalic trademark.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

How is their RPG game Blackguards? Anyone played it?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oscar - 13 April 2014 08:57 PM

How is their RPG game Blackguards? Anyone played it?

i like it. Its got its share of issues, but it has a really nice oldschool pen&paper; feel. Combat is kind of slow and full of high chance to miss. Theres a large variety of questionable balance decisions. But theres lots of sidequests and its a quite long game. I was satisfied with it.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2010-06-20

PM

Alcatraz was not done entirely by Daedalic.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve heard good things about Blackguards but just don’t have the time or money to try it out now. So far I’ve liked everything done by Daedalic though.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top