• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissiediego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #50: Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Vehelon - 28 January 2019 03:48 AM

Thanks guys, that was entertaining. Hopefully next time you can move to the sequel, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine.

Playing FoA again made me think about what a new Indiana Jones game made today could be like. A new movie is planned for 2021 so it’s not out of the question that we might get a new one soon.

I must replay the first Tomb Raider. When it came out I thought it was pretty awful and almost destroyed adventure games since most games started to emulate that one instead. Infernal Machine was a result of that. Haven’t played any other TR game since then so don’t know exactly where that series is now. Looking back I might have been to harsh in my judgement but I really believe that the “archeological” puzzles in FoA should be a key feature in an Indiana Jones game which I felt TR and its clones really lacked.

A 3D game does give you lots of gameplay possibilities, especially for better action parts. The Emperor’s Tomb had great fighting sequences (but lacked in other aspects). Montezuma’s Return, a first-person 3D sequel to an old platformer (Montezuma’s Revenge), was very inspired by Indy and for the time really captured the feeling of the movies with the player going through ropeways and slides. I guess Mirror’s Edge is the best modern equivalent for comparisons. Having equally brilliant puzzles as FoA, with fighting like Emperor’s Tomb and “platforming” like Montezuma’s Return with everything tweaked to modern standards could make a fantastic Indy game.

I guess that has more or less always been the goal for the entire Uncharted series. I’ve tried the first and the fourth game and wasn’t really blown away but they weren’t dreadful either. I believe that the last Indy game we got (Staff of Kings) tried the Uncharted formula. It had better story than the other action-adventure games starring Indy but it was lacking in gameplay. Especially compared to FoA.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks guys, that was entertaining. Hopefully next time you can move to the sequel, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine.

Is that not an action game?

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

chrissie - 28 January 2019 12:13 PM

Is that not an action game?

There’s a reason it’s not in AG’s games database.  Smile

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I finished the game some time ago so sorry for the delay in posting my comments.

TimovieMan - 12 January 2019 08:32 AM

- How did you follow the servant? With or without the red fez?

I acquired the red fez - it seemed the obvious thing to do when I first tried to follow him.

- What did you think of Omar’s personality change in this path? It’s the only time he’s unhelpful and even outright hostile…

I preferred him in the other paths but at least there seemed to be a purpose for the closet although it looked too flimsy to prevent someone from escaping!

- What’s your favourite puzzle or minigame from this section?

I did enjoy the car chase.

- Now that we’ve played through the Fists, Team and Wits path, which of the three is your favourite, and why?

I think all of the paths had interesting puzzles but I preferred the Team & Wits paths almost equally because of the puzzles with the Team path having the slight edge because of Sophie.

- There are three slightly different endings to the game, but only one is the good one.
Unless actively chasing the bad ones, I’ve ALWAYS had the good one myself. Curious to know if anyone winds up with one of the bad ones…

I ended up with one of the bad endings as I didn’t realise Sophie was possessed (because I’m stupid like that!) & just left her - Indie got away though.

Sabacc - 06 December 2018 01:24 PM

I’m a huge Indy fan in general and of Fate of Atlantis in particular.  It’s one of my go to adventure games because of the path system.  Looking forward to this playthrough.
I would recommend when people get to Atlantis on the Team or Fists path to save a game there for the final run through the Atlantis section rather than playing on from the Wits path.  You can certainly play from the wits path but there is one bit that’s a little more cumbersome.  For those in the know: the orichalcum detector that you have to recharge by using the scarf on the comb every time you want to detect.

Yes, I must have played the last part following the Wits path as I ended up having to do that!

TimovieMan - 21 January 2019 03:46 AM

- Does Atlantis change your mind about your favourite location in the game? Is there a specific screenshot that you like best?

No. My favourite location is still Algiers although I do like the screenshot of the interior of the sub.

- What’s your favourite puzzle in the Atlantis section? How about in the entire game?

I quite liked navigating the maze. I’ve forgotton half the puzzles now!

- Did you get the best ending? Or did Sophia not make it, either by not releasing her from prison, or by not freeing her from Nur-Ab-Sal’s possession? If you didn’t get the best ending, did you try again?

I did release Sophie from prison but as said I didn’t get the best ending as I didn’t free her from being possessed. I haven’t tried again yet although I was intending to.

- What’s your opinion on the colour palette changes during the ending cutscene? By that I mean the lighting in the screens you run through while Atlantis crumbles, and the day-sunset-twilight-dusk-night transition during the end credits.

I thought the colour palette throughout the game was very impressive altogether reflecting the different areas & change in mood.

- So, what’s your opinion of this game in general? All-time classic? Overrated drivel? Something in-between? Discuss!

I’m no gaming vet but I thought the game was amazing & would describe it as an all-time classic. I thought playing through the 3 different paths could be repetitive but that wasn’t so & the variations were impressive enough to make it worth while.
The game, despite being from 1992, compares more than favourably with many later games sound & graphics aside which are obviously a product of the time. But it probably had a budget present day developers would kill for!

I’ve enjoyed this playthrough very much, thanks to all who took part the interesting comments & thank you Tim for your expert leadership!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top