• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

moebius game

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 29 June 2020 06:22 PM
Jdawg445 - 29 June 2020 05:44 PM
chrissie - 29 June 2020 05:40 PM

If you’re not up to buying both definitely go for the Erica Reed!  Smile

Is erica reed better than still life 2 bc I hated that game.

No way. Moebius is also way better than Erica Reed, but that doesn’t mean it’s good.

I thought it was a passable game. If you have nothing else to play, go for it.

we seem to agree a lot, any recommendations for new detective adventure games.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Played Miazma? Tangle Tower? Neither are masterpieces but are on sale, better options than Moebius or Erica Reed.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Luhr28 - 29 June 2020 06:35 PM

Played Miazma? Tangle Tower? Neither are masterpieces but are on sale, better options than Moebius or Erica Reed.

I tried the demo for tangle tower and did not like it either, i guess im just out of luck.

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

Moebius is a terrible, awful game, stay away from it.

Disgusting visuals, stupid puzzles, unbelievable characters, perhaps only interesting thing in the game is the main theme of homosexuality if you are into that.
Otherwise just skip it.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Jdawg445 - 29 June 2020 07:39 PM
Luhr28 - 29 June 2020 06:35 PM

I tried the demo for tangle tower and did not like it either, i guess im just out of luck.

I don’t blame you. For my money the last good detective game, besides Obra Dinn, was Ahnayro back in 2017. Beware though, it is a love-or-hate affair, where you need to do research on the internet. If that’s your thing, and you have some perseverance with obscure but logical puzzles, the detective work can be very satisfying.

Otherwise, yeah you pretty much are out of luck.

(Oh, and there’s Painscreek Killings, but I’m sure you’ve played that)

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Is erica reed better than still life 2 bc I hated that game. I stopped as soon as the main character had to bake cookies. here I thought I was supposed to solve a mystery and stop a murderer but instead im baking cookies using insane puzzle logic lol.

Moebius was a great disappointment. Interesting premise for the story, but the execution ranges between mediocre and awful.

By the way; the cookie baking puzzle is not in Still Life 2 but in Still Life 1. One of the worst puzzles ever in an adventure game but well worth it to solve (with a walkthrough?) because the game as a whole is really good. I really enjoyed Still Life 2 too, but I seem to be a one man minority in that respect.

It’s a pity there are so few detective/crime themed adventures released these days, but I guess it’s not easy to write a story set more or less in reality that’s good enough to build a game around. The best one’s I’ve played recently are The Painscreek Killings and Contradiction (and Obra Dinn if you count that as a detective game).

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Veovis - 30 June 2020 04:56 AM

Is erica reed better than still life 2 bc I hated that game. I stopped as soon as the main character had to bake cookies. here I thought I was supposed to solve a mystery and stop a murderer but instead im baking cookies using insane puzzle logic lol.

Moebius was a great disappointment. Interesting premise for the story, but the execution ranges between mediocre and awful.

By the way; the cookie baking puzzle is not in Still Life 2 but in Still Life 1. One of the worst puzzles ever in an adventure game but well worth it to solve (with a walkthrough?) because the game as a whole is really good. I really enjoyed Still Life 2 too, but I seem to be a one man minority in that respect.

It’s a pity there are so few detective/crime themed adventures released these days, but I guess it’s not easy to write a story set more or less in reality that’s good enough to build a game around. The best one’s I’ve played recently are The Painscreek Killings and Contradiction (and Obra Dinn if you count that as a detective game).

You’re right I’m sorry it was still life 1. I thought the story was interesting and I didn’t mind switching back and forth between times. But most of the puzzles for the game were poorly implemented to me. The whole cooking puzzle I just found insulting to my intelligence, it was one of the biggest and obvious roadblocks to put in there for no other reason than to have it.

I also really enjoyed contradiction except the ending was very abrupt. But I had a great time with the game

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I remember enjoying the game and feeling weird, shocked and upset with everyone attacking Jane for all sort of reasons. Like, many hated the graphics while I found it pretty and functional, no worse than many other adventures of its time. Btw this also goes for Gabriel Knight 3, I still don’t understand when people complain about “bad 3D”, I love it!

As for puzzles, I found the deductive mechanics quite brilliant and engaging, and while other puzzles were on the easy side, they weren’t, again, worse than those in Broken Age and whatever else was released in 2014. In fact they were better than in some games I’ve been playing recently. Oh yes, and the maze at the end was really very easy. I’m not a fan of them either, but I don’t see it as something outrageous.

People also complained about writing. I remember one reviewer going as far as accusing Jensen (!) of misogyny because one of her female characters did something which “offended” her. I say this is total bullshit - story, dialogues and especially characters were of Jensen’s high quality. Of course it would’ve helped if the project got more funding: there were fewer locations, hotspots, dialogues than in other Jensen’s games, and the text was less polished. But for my money it was a good game with the soundtrack by one of the best game composers.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 01 July 2020 09:38 AM

I remember enjoying the game and feeling weird, shocked and upset with everyone attacking Jane for all sort of reasons. Like, many hated the graphics while I found it pretty and functional, no worse than many other adventures of its time. Btw this also goes for Gabriel Knight 3, I still don’t understand when people complain about “bad 3D”, I love it!

As for puzzles, I found the deductive mechanics quite brilliant and engaging, and while other puzzles were on the easy side, they weren’t, again, worse than those in Broken Age and whatever else was released in 2014. In fact they were better than in some games I’ve been playing recently. Oh yes, and the maze at the end was really very easy. I’m not a fan of them either, but I don’t see it as something outrageous.

People also complained about writing. I remember one reviewer going as far as accusing Jensen (!) of misogyny because one of her female characters did something which “offended” her. I say this is total bullshit - story, dialogues and especially characters were of Jensen’s high quality. Of course it would’ve helped if the project got more funding: there were fewer locations, hotspots, dialogues than in other Jensen’s games, and the text was less polished. But for my money it was a good game with the soundtrack by one of the best game composers.

I might still give it a shot,  I went with erica reed, which also has jane jenson attached to it in some capacity. thanks for your input

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

People also complained about writing. I remember one reviewer going as far as accusing Jensen (!) of misogyny because one of her female characters did something which “offended” her. I say this is total bullshit - story, dialogues and especially characters were of Jensen’s high quality.

Could you please remind me what was that about? Thanks

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

VoodooDerina - 01 July 2020 05:15 PM

People also complained about writing. I remember one reviewer going as far as accusing Jensen (!) of misogyny because one of her female characters did something which “offended” her. I say this is total bullshit - story, dialogues and especially characters were of Jensen’s high quality.

I think it might have been the scene where Rector holds a knife of a woman’s throat and threatens to cut her open. It was such an out of the blue solution to the scene, that it rubbed many people in the wrong way.

Or perhaps it was the use of a young girl as a sexual decoy at one point. I can see that going not so well for people. Then maybe it was the superficial and at times rather snarky superficial detection details Rector made of the women in the story.

Come to think of it, for a story written by a woman, it doesn’t really give the nicest portrayal of women in general. Though it doesn’t help that Rector is off-putting personality if I’m wording it nicely.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I have shattered memories of the game or the review, so I’m not big help here. But Jensen writes thriller detectives, that’s one excuse for not giving nicest portrayal of women (another one is her gay fiction I guess). And even then she managed to create some of the strongest and most memorable female characters in adventure history - Grace, Malia Gedde, Sam. All flawed, all great. I even loved that odd couple from Gabriel Knight 3.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

tomimt - 02 July 2020 12:58 AM
VoodooDerina - 01 July 2020 05:15 PM

I think it might have been the scene where Rector holds a knife of a woman’s throat and threatens to cut her open. It was such an out of the blue solution to the scene, that it rubbed many people in the wrong way.

Or perhaps it was the use of a young girl as a sexual decoy at one point. I can see that going not so well for people. Then maybe it was the superficial and at times rather snarky superficial detection details Rector made of the women in the story.

Come to think of it, for a story written by a woman, it doesn’t really give the nicest portrayal of women in general. Though it doesn’t help that Rector is off-putting personality if I’m wording it nicely.

Thank you!

It seems that Rector is written as a misogynistic character which is fine then, it portrays him with more realism as a flawed, perverted and not likeable person.

It’s a good contrast to most by-the-book main characters in other “serious” adventures.
That’s why I love characters in comedies much better, mostly because non-comedic adventure game writers are very poor.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I liked Moebius but I agree that it isn’t Jensen’s best. I still think it’s a good game and people perhaps give it harsher critique because their expectations were high. I’ve only played it once though (when it came out) so I probably should do another playthrough and see for myself if my memories hold.

The gameplay was mostly fine, there was one instance that was really ridiculous and can’t be explained: Malachi had to go and pick up a wine bottle from another city (or was it even a country!) as a part of smoothening things up with someone. That is just plain silly. I’m pretty sure there is wine available a bit closer by… It would have been okay if the player had automatically picked up the bottle earlier and it just happened to be wine that Malachi brought from where ever, but there really is no excuse that I actually had to take a plane to go and buy (or did I perhaps steal it?) this bottle from a bar, instead of just visiting a local liquor store.

The maze was fine compared and not really much of a maze anyway.

I liked the main characters and their growing bond - not to mention the homosexual tension in the air (Jensen knows how to do that) - and didn’t feel the game was misogynistic. The women play only supportive roles and some of them are huge dicks (maybe all) but so what?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top