• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Isometric Adventures

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I’m looking for adventures which have that isometric point of view often used in the old school rpgs. Something in the style of Sanitarium. And maybe To The Moon but not so retro looking. More like this one - STASIS which i’m really anticipating.
I’m looking for a pure adventure game, not an rpg hybrid. But feel free to suggest anything.
I may go with hybrid as well as long as it has little combat in it or has a clever system that allows you to deal tasks in different ways. (for example: I always treated fallout 1,2 like an adventure. there were so many options to do in some quests (lying, bribing, tempting, stealing, talking your way out of it) which made the combat a matter of choice).

And talking about rpgs, I’ve always wondered are there any adventures in which it matters what you do and talk. Something like a like-o-meter or karma points which gives you certain dialogue options. That’s one of the things I didn’t believe in most adventures. No matter what you do, compliment or insult, you will always get the same dialogue options. I’m sure there are some adventures where your actions (not the linear puzzle solutions that you need to do in order to move on) have an actual impact.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Veil of Darkness is considered by many an adventure, though it has RPG and some combat. I’ve played it and it’s very good. From what I remember, it matters what you say. It’s really a hybrid so check some reviews before you go with it.

Rome:Pathway to Power is a dynamic but difficult game, with some strategy elements (organising troops etc). I played this one many times without getting very far at all.

Inherit the Earth: Quest For The Orb - not 100% isometric but the main gameplay view resembles an old RPG for much of the time.

I haven’t played Dinotopia but it’s listed as adventure in Mobygames. Apparently it’s for kids.

Relentless: Twinsen’s Adventure - Fun game that every adventurer should play/have played. You can go into different modes like stealth, acrobatic, action etc

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I’ll add Eye of the Kraken to Oscar’s list. You can download it for free.
http://www.absurdus.net/kraken/buynow.htm

BTW, I own Dinotopia. Terrible. Even for kids.

badlemon - 23 August 2012 06:42 AM

And talking about rpgs, I’ve always wondered are there any adventures in which it matters what you do and talk. Something like a like-o-meter or karma points which gives you certain dialogue options. That’s one of the things I didn’t believe in most adventures. No matter what you do, compliment or insult, you will always get the same dialogue options. I’m sure there are some adventures where your actions (not the linear puzzle solutions that you need to do in order to move on) have an actual impact.

Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
In the 1st Degree

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Daemonica too.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Little Big Adventure 2 used this isometric point of view.
And yes, there are many adventure that what you say really matters.
Pandora Directive was already mentioned and it is the greatest example. Also The Orient Express in some way. The Walking Dead episodes is another, more rescent example.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-06-22

PM

It’s a matter of time ‘til someone says Planescape:Torment, so, yeah, give it a shot… but be warned: you’ll spend most of your time reading never-ending hackneyed stories. Who knows, maybe you’re one of those guys and will actually like the darn thing.

The game Dink Smallwood also came to mind, although it’s quite actiony here and there. 

“This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I’ll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace.” -Old Tart Toter

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TiAgUh - 23 August 2012 08:21 AM

It’s a matter of time ‘til someone says Planescape:Torment,

He asked for an adventure. Planscape Torment is a pure RPG. A great one, but an RPG nonetheless.

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-06-22

PM

badlemon - 23 August 2012 06:42 AM

(for example: I always treated fallout 1,2 like an adventure. there were so many options to do in some quests (lying, bribing, tempting, stealing, talking your way out of it)

“This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I’ll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace.” -Old Tart Toter

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

yay, thanks for the quick answers. some of them sound like what I’m looking for.

Yeah, I’ve played Planescape: Torment and I love it.

I’m very eager about the pandora directive. I’ve been waiting for the right time to try it out cause I’m not so into FMV. But with all the praise it gets, your words and the new tex coming out I should definitely give it a go.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

The mother of ALL isometric adventures is a Spanish title called La Abadía del Crimen (precisely the basis for its recent “remake” The Abbey). It was a technical marvel at the time, but of course now feels ancient and contrived. Still worth a look; it’s definitely historically important.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Abadía_del_Crimen

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top