• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Controversial adventure game preferences and opinions?

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I don’t know if this is controversial but here we go. Somewhere between 2000 and 2010 developers decided that adventure games shouldn’t be challenging anymore. If we are lucky to get puzzles in a game, the solution is usually obvious and requiring no thinking, or can be reached by simplistic trial and error. In fact, it’s probably not an exaggeration to say that a lot of games could be completed by just random clicking while being blindfolded.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Interesting Luhr28. Do you have any games in mind that might serve as examples & do they fall into the 1st person perspective category or 3rd person?

Personally I’m finding that many games in the next decade i.e 2010 - 2020 seem to gradually be getting easier but having said that I do tend to prefer 3rd person perspective games.

N.B. My reply is not intended to criticise or bait - your comment as said is interesting & maybe it’s food for thought on another thread?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Luhr28 - 24 June 2020 09:54 AM

Somewhere between 2000 and 2010 developers decided that adventure games shouldn’t be challenging anymore. If we are lucky to get puzzles in a game, the solution is usually obvious and requiring no thinking, or can be reached by simplistic trial and error. In fact, it’s probably not an exaggeration to say that a lot of games could be completed by just random clicking while being blindfolded.

chrissie - 24 June 2020 11:21 AM

Interesting Luhr28. Do you have any games in mind that might serve as examples & do they fall into the 1st person perspective category or 3rd person?

I don’t know what games he’s referring to, but I think most Telltale games fit the description. To quote Jurassic Park review that I wrote (and which is at the time of writing unavailable online):

Jurassic Park: The Game isn’t an action game though, as there are some traditional puzzles in the game, albeit very few. Among the best ones are a conversation puzzle where a character who really isn’t fluent in Spanish must have a conversation in Spanish, and a path finding puzzle where the player needs to use other characters to check which exit corresponds to the blueprints on the table. The problem with puzzles is that they are a bit uneven, and even the best ones are not entirely well executed. For instance, the conversation puzzle isn’t even a puzzle for players who know Spanish, and the path finding puzzle can be solved by randomly clicking.

Fortunately, there are indie games as alternatives, these days what gets me most excited are often new game releases on AGS site.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t know if this is controversial but here we go. Somewhere between 2000 and 2010 developers decided that adventure games shouldn’t be challenging anymore. If we are lucky to get puzzles in a game, the solution is usually obvious and requiring no thinking, or can be reached by simplistic trial and error. In fact, it’s probably not an exaggeration to say that a lot of games could be completed by just random clicking while being blindfolded.

I agree that in general adventures have become easier, but I don’t know when that happened. Gradually, I suppose.  Innocent There were challenging games in the 2000-10 periode too, like Myst 3, 4, and 5; Rhem series; Runaway series; Gilbert Goodmake; Keepsake; Edna & Harvey; Schizm(!); Tony Tough.

What strikes me every time I look at a list of games released in that time periode, is the number of mediocre, boring, uninteresting, forgettable adventures. Of course there were some good ones too, but as a whole it was a period that lacked inspiration.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok, what are you thoughts about games from 2010 - 2020, do you think they became easier?

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 24 June 2020 01:22 PM

I agree that in general adventures have become easier, but I don’t know when that happened. Gradually, I suppose.  Innocent There were challenging games in the 2000-10 periode too, like Myst 3, 4, and 5; Rhem series; Runaway series; Gilbert Goodmake; Keepsake; Edna & Harvey; Schizm(!); Tony Tough.

What strikes me every time I look at a list of games released in that time periode, is the number of mediocre, boring, uninteresting, forgettable adventures. Of course there were some good ones too, but as a whole it was a period that lacked inspiration.

Yeah, totally. That’s why I said the shift happened between 2000-10, because there were a lot of challenging games in that period. While that particular brand of Mystian adventure (RHEM, Aura, Riddle of the Sphinx) somewhat disappeared in the next decade, with a couple of exceptions of course, as always.

chrissie - 24 June 2020 11:21 AM

Personally I’m finding that many games in the next decade i.e 2010 - 2020 seem to gradually be getting easier but having said that I do tend to prefer 3rd person perspective games.

N.B. My reply is not intended to criticise or bait - your comment as said is interesting & maybe it’s food for thought on another thread?

I think I might have had 1st person adventures more in mind, because the expansion of the “walking simulator” subgenre has been extremely visible, although I do think it applies to 3rd person adventures as well. Examples?

Well, there’s the Machinarium style of game which is on the whole a few levels of magnitude easier than traditional 3rd person titles. The retro styled games from Wadjet Eye etc are ones I rarely need to check a walkthrough, which is something I used to do regularly. It could be I’m just getting smarter, but I doubt it.

Like Gatekeeper said, the focus of a lot of games has shifted towards action - just look at the Sherlock Holmes series.

Daedalic probably should be applauded for keeping the integrity of the 3rd person scene alive, because I can’t think of too many other companies doing it. But by the end, even they shifted towards more choice-based games and exploration-with-story.

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Here is one… most players seem to hate splicing together recordings to make a different recording, but i love it most times. For example in the first chapter of gabriel knight 2.

Also grim fandango is highly overrated. The only great chapter to me is when manny is running the night club. The rest is very meh….

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2020-06-17

PM

Phatt is the best island in the Monkey Island universe.

Governor’s mansion feeding machine, monkey wrench puzzle, Rum Rogers Jr’s cottage puzzle, wharf - the most realistic town in the series, jail (PotC ride reference) and of course fantastic library with seemingly thousands of books.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am still playing Syberia3 (yeah i am very slow now due to the certain hours a week of playing i be got) but i just wondered how smallest adjustments matter, how can a developer spend 1000s of hours planning and crafting an AAA adventure and forget about skipping the dialogue feature, or some hotspots that aren’t assigned that do not show until you trigger the inventory item, isn’t it the other way around.
and that is all supposedly after 10s of patches and updating!

almost every adventure I ve played had a small matter that could have had a little a bit of adjustment, but surely they always slip my mind that why i posting this while i am at it.

this thread can be really helpful to throw in those kinda matters, for the adventure i am playing from time to time.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I like pineapple on my pizza.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you ve been away long enough from adventure gaming Origami, that ve gotten outta touch?

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Advie - 03 August 2020 08:54 AM

you ve been away long enough from adventure gaming Origami, that ve gotten outta touch?

I am in Colombia. My laptop is in Bogota I am stuck in Medellin. So yeah, can’t play games properly. I bought an apple arcade subscription. Paying 5 euros for the first 2 months. So far looks like good value. Playing the adventure game The Get Out Kids and puzzle game What the Golf.

/offtopic

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Origami - 03 August 2020 02:22 PM
Advie - 03 August 2020 08:54 AM

I am in Colombia. My laptop is in Bogota I am stuck in Medellin. So yeah, can’t play games properly. I bought an apple arcade subscription. Paying 5 euros for the first 2 months. So far looks like good value. Playing the adventure game The Get Out Kids and puzzle game What the Golf.

/offtopic

well, glad to hear from you, wish to hear from the rest of the gang also; nomad, wilco.

try Beyond a Steel Sky, its on apple arcade

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

For Apple Arcade I would recommend the following:

Projection: First Light

Jenny LeClue - Detectivu

Tangle Tower

The Enchanted World

The Bradwell Conspiracy

Down in Bermuda

Murder Mystery Machine

Beyond a Steel Sky

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Advie - 03 August 2020 04:03 PM

well, glad to hear from you, wish to hear from the rest of the gang also; nomad, wilco.

try Beyond a Steel Sky, its on apple arcade

Sad to see them gone.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top