• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playing adventure games on consoles

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Hello all, very long time no see…

I’m considering buying XBOX one, in order to play pure adventures like Obduction, Quern and maybe return to Myst IV. Is it worth the investment? Is the gaming experience much different than on PC?

The slow, somewhat leisurely pace of the genre may be too slow for gaming console, don’t you think? I mean, most console games are fast and action packed, and these, well, are not. I tried playing Dreamfall on Xbox 360, and it seemed painstakingly slow, though on the PC I really enjoyed it.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

lipsum - 12 June 2020 04:10 AM

Hello all, very long time no see…

I’m considering buying XBOX one, in order to play pure adventures like Obduction, Quern and maybe return to Myst IV. Is it worth the investment? Is the gaming experience much different than on PC?

The slow, somewhat leisurely pace of the genre may be too slow for gaming console, don’t you think? I mean, most console games are fast and action packed, and these, well, are not. I tried playing Dreamfall on Xbox 360, and it seemed painstakingly slow, though on the PC I really enjoyed it.

I personally think it makes more sense to do PS4 or switch for adventure gaming because it’s incredibly easy to port games to them.  You also see a lot of exclusive deals being cut with sony and nintendo more often than microsoft, and indie titles or digital only have an easier time getting ports.

Really on an xbox what are you going to be able to play that you couldn’t play on a PC, or through steam/GOG etc.?  A lot of modern PC games support xbox remotes if that is the allure.

I personally just like to recline instead of being hunched over my monitor or handheld.
I’m a big fan of adventures on consoles, and I think there’s a whole sub-genre of AG’s made specifically with consoles in mind.
Brothers: tale of two sons, until dawn/man of medan/hidden agenda, quantic dream titles like detroit become human, or beyond:two souls, or even life is strange, kings quest 2015

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

My console gaming knowledge is a bit out of date, but based on my experiences, I wouldn’t recommend it. Games on PC run faster and smoother (assuming you have at least decent hardware, of course), and have better options for graphics and sound. There are notable exceptions to this, but that’s how it generally goes.

The biggest problem is, or at least was, loading times and such which are very bad with consoles. I remember playing Syberia on PS2, and the controls were very clumsy and sometimes the game stopped just to load a new area where there was no such pause on PC.

I wouldn’t buy a console to play multi-platform games, and even with some console exclusives that wouldn’t be my first choice. But it kind of depends on what else you want to do. If you need, let’s say, a Blu-ray player, then buying that console makes much more sense.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The PS5 is coming out in a few months. It has the power of a high end gaming PC with 10 teraflops of processing power. It also has an SSD drive with zero load times.

It is also backwards compatable with the PS4 and will play all it’s games.

I have many PS4 adventure games, they look and play great. To play Detroit Became Human on a PC you need to spend at least $1400 dollars to get it to run correctly.

The main difference between PC and console is for consoles you use a controller to guide the game along.

I went with a PS4 over a PC because the VR headset on the PS4 was reported to be much more comfortable to wear.

A console port of a game should play the same as the PC version, if it’s great on the PC, it should be great on a console too.

For on the go play, the Switch is your best bet, it is very powerful for a handheld and has lots of games.

The PS4 and Switch both have far more adventure games than the Xbox, which mostly has FPS games.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

GateKeeper - 12 June 2020 08:30 AM

My console gaming knowledge is a bit out of date, but based on my experiences, I wouldn’t recommend it. Games on PC run faster and smoother (assuming you have at least decent hardware, of course), and have better options for graphics and sound. There are notable exceptions to this, but that’s how it generally goes.

The biggest problem is, or at least was, loading times and such which are very bad with consoles. I remember playing Syberia on PS2, and the controls were very clumsy and sometimes the game stopped just to load a new area where there was no such pause on PC.

I wouldn’t buy a console to play multi-platform games, and even with some console exclusives that wouldn’t be my first choice. But it kind of depends on what else you want to do. If you need, let’s say, a Blu-ray player, then buying that console makes much more sense.

What you’re referring to here is ports.. and then more specifically bad ports. Ports always have the risk of a decrease in performance. This includes adventure games that were designed on console but then ported to PC.. and then have loading/frame rate issues. It is possible for a good port to have no issues (it just pretty often has some decrease in quality.)

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

This is a was.

The biggest problem is, or at least was, loading times and such which are very bad with consoles. I remember playing Syberia on PS2.

The PS2 did not have a hard drive and loaded it’s game from disk, making for long load times. Modern consoles like the PS4 have hard drives and the same x86 hardware as the PC eliminating performance issues. This also makes porting much easier. This is why the PS4 and PC share so many games. In the past, ports from one platform to another could result in performance issues.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Thank you very much for your kind help and useful information. Guess I’ll stick to my old PC. PS4 or PS5 is way over my current budget…

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’m surprised consoles are not extinct by now. The practicality of buying a whole new unit every couple of years, rather than just replacing one or two parts, is incredibly wasteful and costly for the consumer. I can understand it in the early days (80s, 90s) when few people knew anything about computers or technology. These days, it’s so easy to just drop a new CPU or GPU into your box.

And this is before even mentioning that the selection of games on consoles is limited to what the company decides. It’s similar to my criticism of Netflix. Why would you want to limit yourself to what someone else, some megacorporation thinks you should watch/play?

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Luhr28 - 12 June 2020 08:23 PM

I’m surprised consoles are not extinct by now. The practicality of buying a whole new unit every couple of years, rather than just replacing one or two parts, is incredibly wasteful and costly for the consumer. I can understand it in the early days (80s, 90s) when few people knew anything about computers or technology. These days, it’s so easy to just drop a new CPU or GPU into your box.

And this is before even mentioning that the selection of games on consoles is limited to what the company decides. It’s similar to my criticism of Netflix. Why would you want to limit yourself to what someone else, some megacorporation thinks you should watch/play?

Actually most consoles are sold at a loss for the system’s developer, and they make a return on their money with licensing.  This was the norm until very recently, and consoles that tried to break that norm like the CDI, NUON, etc had to charge 700 dollars for the console (during the 90’s-00’s). 

In some ways, I’m surprised too, but I think it’s the whole plug and play aspect that is most alluring, even though we are far from that now.  But I was raised with a computer in the home, and even I struggle to get games to run properly across my different PC’s for a number of reasons.

I built a $700 gaming PC a few years back, and spilt Iced tea into it and fried the mother board…. but anyways my point is, that was the cheapest I could figure to build my gaming PC, and it was not up to snuff with the latest and greatest games at the time, no 1080p monitor etc. 
Before that I was using my family PC to play my games, and my dad cared enough for my happiness to buy me a graphics card so I could play some game called Rakion.  I go home, I put in the graphics card.  The factory power source doesn’t draw enough power to use the graphics card.  Have to go buy a power source.  I don’t know how to buy a power source, so I need help.  Finally install new power source.  Nice!  Oh wait, now I’m having an overheating problem.  After I repair the motor turning the fan on the graphics card, I see that really I need a bigger or second fan in the case to move the hot air out.  Now I have to get help again or learn how to install an aftermarket fan. 

With a video game console, there is a single standard, and everyone owns almost identical hardware.  Even through hardware revisions, games libraries are pretty consistent.

I could buy a used ps4 for a little over 200-250 dollars at my local 2nd hand store and get a remote included, go ahead and buy a game there, and if I don’t like the game, since it’s physical, I can just re-sell it later or trade it for something else.

So I truly think for the average consumer there are still less barriers to entry on the console side.

I was really big into software emulation as a kid and teen, so I often was of the opinion that I did not need game consoles, but what sucked me back into console gaming was the unique experiences that couldn’t be had on PC without some serious effort.

The wii has motion controls, which I really enjoy like in Pandora’s Tower, and Silent Hill Shattered Memories or even Zack and Wiki.  The point and click use of the remote made interacting with a adventure game a breeze.

I have games that use the ds/3ds touch screen to good effect, or even cing games that think of closing the DS or blowing on the ds, or yelling into the mic (actually I have a lot of mic’s for different consoles some of them aren’t great)

Wii U has really fun asymmetrical gameplay. and some games have remote play

PS4 games like Hidden Agenda let anyone with a phone join in the fun.

I have bongo drums for rhythm games, and donkey kong.
I have taito drum master as well.
and I have a few guitars for the guitar hero/rockband beatles and metallica games.

I have DDR pads for that arcade experience.

I have AR games as well (not that I really play them that much but… I could)

Gamecube, Wii, Dreamcast, n64 all provide some of the most fun 4-player party games and therefore some of the best local gaming experiences.

I’ve gotten away from the focus on adventures (which I maintain certain consoles do really well), but consoles have their own unique fun. 

And I know the comparison to netflix is coming more and more true, especially as the concept of games as a service grows,

But I think of it more like going to disney world.  Sorry you can’t meet bugs bunny and daffy duck at disney world the same way mario doesn’t like to appear on xbox games.  I had a customer at a game store argue with me for a long time, claiming she had mario on xbox….

EDIT:

Oh and back to OP’s question, are the PS4 and xbox one that far apart in price that you consider buying one, but not the other? I thought they were similar in price.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Last count I had 364 PC games. Last one I bought was Haunted around 2016 for 8 dollars at half price books.

Physical games have many advantages, collector editions go up in value, used copies can be bought cheap and surplus copies could be bought at half price books real cheap.

Luckily, the consoles have at least one more generation of physical games. Yes, the PC is all digital today and fore publishers have many advantages, mainly increased profit. For the consumer ease of purchase is one advantage. I can recall having to drive 30 miles in 2006 to pickup a copy of an adventure game because so few stores carried them. In addition digital publishing allows indies to turn a profit due to reduced costs.

However, I still love collectible games, and yes, provided you keep them in mint condition, they increase in value.

All of my PC games are in mint condition.

And yes, used PS4s are 200 dollars, pretty affordable if U ask me.

Heart

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I don’t really see the point of playing point&click; adventures on consoles, maybe DS is the expection. We do own most of the mainstream consoles though, except for PS4. (Might be considering PS5 now since we’ve skipped 4.)

Interactive movies, exploration games, VNs (for handhelds mostly), adventure hybrids with a control scheme suitable for gamepad… those are good aventures for consoles. Still, like with some others in this thread, Xbox wouldn’t be even close to my first choice.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

millenia - 14 June 2020 03:34 AM

I don’t really see the point of playing point&click; adventures on consoles, maybe DS is the expection.

DS is the only console I’ve ever owned. I was traveling around Asia at the time and found a used DS at a market, and bought all the classics (Phoenix Wright, Layton, CING games and some JRPGs). It was perfect when stuck in a hotel room and it’s raining outside.

For everything else I use a PC and can’t really see myself getting a home console. I guess there’s the advantage of different control mechanisms like Wii, but I thought you could get all those on a PC too.

I’ve lived in apartments and share houses where we had a unit (Xbox and Wii I think) and it was good for things like party games (Mario kart) and stuff like karaoke. It used to be that if you wanted to play multiplayer on a PC you used to have to crouch around the monitor sharing a keyboard. I’m sure kids these days would laugh if they saw how we did that…  Laughing

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

@MikeKelly, actually the reason I don’t collect PC games physical is because the boxes are so varied in terms of dimensions.  Games came in ziploc bags, or big-box release or dvd-keep case boxes etc.  I would love to see pictures or something if you collect PC games!

I had the sims big box, starcraft with expansion and guide bigbox… and I think the rest were all jewel case releases, which is a shame because I really wanted those Eidos Trapezoid boxes for ff7 and Tomb Raider

@Millenia Exactly, which is why I tried to not focus too much on point and clicks.  I will say however, as you mentioned, DS usually nailed it (Except the port of myst… I dont know what happened there, but don’t bother) and wii got it pretty right too.  Games like Sam and Max, Broken Sword, Pajama Sam, Another code R, all on Wii, and I think control like point and clicks, and because of the unique remote, it works fine.

@Vehelon Yeah you can get adapters and stuff for wii remotes/sensor bar, other proprietary console hardware but there is no guarantee it will work.  Third party stuff is often hit and miss, for example, I know it is possible to emulate WII on PC, but I have no clue how I would plug in the sensor bar.  I don’t even have a PC that has bluetooth for the wireless sensor bar, and the cable is completely proprietary.

I would love to crowd around the keyboard with my friends like in the good old days.

I remember I had Lego Island 1, and I went to my friends house, and I thought they were rich because they had lego island 2, and also lemmings paintball, when all I had was lemmings 1 on windows.

I mean it turns out they were in fact rich, but that was not why.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top