• Game Discovery
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Forums
0 new post/s since your last visit
0 new comment/s since your last visit
Last visited on 12/11/19 at 09:52 pm

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

What is the best succession to the theme park series?

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Railroad tycoon and A-train were some others I played as a kid in the 90’s.

However theme park was always my favourite

I saw the most recent rollercoaster tycoon world got terible reviews.

Whats worth checking?

Total Posts: 504

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Personally, I’d say only Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2 are worth it, anything after that isn’t _in my view_. They are amazing games, especially if you enjoyed Theme Park.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Yes RCT1 & 2 if you just want more of the original “Theme Park” experience.

RCT 3 (the 3D one) is good in terms of evolution. It has a lot of nice things going for it, even if the gameplay is a little slower. But then, what games like this do you NOT sit waiting for the next $50 to come in so you can build one piece of track? Regardless, it has a sandbox mode (theme park never did, neither did RCT 1 or 2 for the most part)... many hours can be spent building your own dream theme park. And ofc, this time round you can actually ride the coasters and rides. With its expansions wet & wild, there’s a lot you can do.

Jurassic Park Operation Genesis. Somewhat casual on the building/management elements but what’s nice here is the dinosaurs, you are managing them as much as the guests.

Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe). As a player of Railroad Tycoon etc then TTD is absolutely a must play. Open TTD is free and can be downloaded. TTD of course was the foundation of Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2 so could effectively be considered a sister product.

Theme Hospital is absolutely worth a bout, even if it is a bit linear (railroaded down a specific path) but it got those 90% reviews back in the day for a reason - it’s good fun. And of course, it’s Bullfrog which also means Dungeon Keeper should be in this list because again built on similar systems to Theme Park and Theme Hospital (and also Bullfrog again, their last great game effectively).

Yeah, the new JP: World game seemed too watered down and casual for my liking, the numerous Theme Park games that came out after the original never really took my fancy. Other ones (the names escape me) seem to be more about roller coaster simulation and less about running a park. But I’m glad to have played all the ones above as if they were successors to the original Theme Park, in one way or another, each of them felt like it.

Total Posts: 504

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Theme Hospital is amazing really, great fun. Would strongly recommend it. It’s actually pretty cheap nowadays and hours of fun. Amazing humor, certainly a Theme Park vibe:

https://www.gog.com/game/theme_hospital

Nowadays if you want it to really have some better features, you can run it through CorsixTH, see it as ScummVM for Theme Hospital if you will. It adds quite some nice features, including higher resolution, many new languages supported, bug fixes that were in the original game, really too much to mention!

https://github.com/CorsixTH/CorsixTH/releases
https://corsixth.com/

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2009-04-01

PM

I also loved Theme Park back in the day, I would say the best succession to it right now would be Planet Coaster, it has the same fun and looks as Theme park did, it even killed the Roller Coaster Tycoon series Tongue.

For Theme Hospital (same developer as Theme Park) I would say Two point Hospital is basically Theme Hospital 2, it looks and plays the same but full 3D with lots of new and better features.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!