• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

adventure game series with best character arc

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I like how Brian from the Runaway series transforms from a clumsy, nerdish student into a cool surfer guy/womanizer and then - into a shady criminal beaten down by life. Also Malcolm went a long way from an evil wizard who wanted to destroy Kyrandia to a vengeful joker to the savior of the day.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

NickyLarson - 28 June 2019 05:24 PM

Now, for the worst character arcs in a game series, I would nominate Elaine Marley. That woman was everything in the first two games, and then she got damseled over and over again.

Imo one of the worst is April Ryan. Went from very likable in TLJ to cold and murderous in Dreamfall. Didn’t like the new April at all tbh. One way to totally ruin a character.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 28 June 2019 09:37 PM

What really matters in life? Which is…? Taking care of other people? She does NOT discover what’s important to Kate Walker, she becomes a mother figure to others who don’t give a shit about her and helps them realize their dreams. No dreams of her own.

Why a mother figure ? Because she’s helping people ?
If Kate was a dude, and switched from corporate robot to feeling human being which is helping others, would you have said he was a father figure ? And honestly, I don’t think anything in the game would have had to be modified to make Kate a male character (well, except her name).

I wouldn’t have cited Kate here, though, because to me her progression is all in the first game, in the second she basically stays the same (I haven’t played the third because it seemed, well, really bad).
Also, the characters isn’t that fleshed in any case so… Her journey is the real hero here not her.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 29 June 2019 09:50 PM
Karlok - 28 June 2019 09:37 PM

What really matters in life? Which is…? Taking care of other people? She does NOT discover what’s important to Kate Walker, she becomes a mother figure to others who don’t give a shit about her and helps them realize their dreams. No dreams of her own.

Why a mother figure ? Because she’s helping people ?

Did you read my previous post in this thread? 
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/14418/#156662

If Kate was a dude, and switched from corporate robot to feeling human being which is helping others, would you have said he was a father figure ?

Depends, I might have called him a SAHD. Tongue

And honestly, I don’t think anything in the game would have had to be modified to make Kate a male character (well, except her name).

Seriously? In that case, we’ll have to agree to disagree. And Sokal is a masterful stereotyper. Don’t get me started on the way he pictures the Youkol.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Karlok - 30 June 2019 07:09 AM

Seriously? In that case, we’ll have to agree to disagree. And Sokal is a masterful stereotyper. Don’t get me started on the way he pictures the Youkol.

I don’t disagree about the youkol (actually I would have gladly done without Siberia 2 altogether), but I don’t really understand why helping others makes a woman become a mother…

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Ninth - 30 June 2019 03:55 PM

I don’t disagree about the youkol (actually I would have gladly done without Siberia 2 altogether), but I don’t really understand why helping others makes a woman become a mother…

All you got from my three posts is that helping others turns a woman into a mother? That’s not what I said at all. Nothing wrong with motherhood, nothing wrong with helping others. Both male and female protagonists in countless adventures help other people out of the kindhess of their heart. They also run errands to get something in return, nothing wrong with business transactions either. Valanice in KQ7 is the prototype of a mother who helps others she meets on her journey. Or take Susuan and Mitzi in the Cat Lady, who support each other emotionally and become friends. But I don’t like Sokal’s pretty outdated view of women: girl exploited in cold business world finds total fulfillment in helping others realize their dreams. From catering to other people’s economic needs to their emotional needs. It’s perfectly possible to be kind and considerate to others while pursuing a dream of your own. And like I said, virtually all the NPCs Kate protects from the baddies are not quite all there mentally. She’s depicted as the adult in a world full of helpless “children”. That’s one reason the Kate in Syberia 2 was less interesting: the protagonist has a subservient role and no longer a story of her own.

Okay, I tried a third time. There will be no fourth time.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I think you generally see more of this in japanese style VN hybrids (like phoenix wright etc). Though when it comes to sequels they still tend to hit the reset button on the next game.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

chrissie - 29 June 2019 09:21 AM

I found Syberia 3 unplayable on my system but would have liked to see where Kate went as I thought her story was concluded.
I couldn’t play Draugen either - I need a much newer graphics card.

I guarantee that both games doesn’t worth a new graphics card.I played Draugen
about an hour so no puzzles whatsoever and endured Syberia3 bout 3hours(for old times sake) of messy gameplay.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 161

Joined 2007-09-11

PM

Although it is old post, i have some thoughts.

Karlok - 30 June 2019 06:33 PM

But I don’t like Sokal’s pretty outdated view of women: girl exploited in cold business world finds total fulfillment in helping others realize their dreams.

To me it came off as something shaped by views of Rousseau -a person from demoralized civilized world finding way back to nature. Beside a question whether Rousseau was right about civilization and nature, an another questionable thing is in Syberia 3 where youkol don’t stand up for themselves and Kate becomes a great western saviour. Then again, fact that this saviour is a woman might be sign that Sokal’s own feminism doesn’t go beyond cultural feminism -Sokal seems to think that instead overcoming stereotypes about women it is liberating enough that problems outside home and family circle are solved with qualities that western culture labeled and often still labels as feminine.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well now we have Syberia 4 to add to the arc. And I have to say it doesn’t add much. As a standalone, it’s a wonderful story. Wonderful music, graphics, voice acting. Does it tell us something we didn’t already know about Kate Walker? Regrettably, no!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

From start to a finish as a standalone game I always felt Manny’s journey in Grim is so long and feels like you’ve been through an eternity by the time you make it to the end. You feel so much has happened to him by the time he makes it to the (spoiler) It could just be it took so long as a kid to get through it all. lol I have replayed a few times but not for a while, not last I tried booting it up, the gameplay feels unplayable these days with keyboard and enter. lol

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

The best character arc *within* a game is, for me, Sam in Gray matter. She evolves from someone who trusts noone, and knows how to survive on her own, to someone who has trust in (some) others.

Kathy Rain has a bit of the same.

Those two are my favorite characters in a game :-)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top