• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tex Murphy on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

A few hours ago I posted the 2nd part of my interview with Adrian Carr (director of Pandora, Overseer and Project Fedora). The interview contains many very interesting anecdotes from the set that you never heard before. Part II also contains exclusive behind-the-scenes photos from the set of Overseer. If you’re a fan of Tex Murphy this is a must read for you.

Part I: http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/interviews.php?id=92&lang=eng
Part II: http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/interviews.php?id=93&lang=eng

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-01-07

PM

Reddit “Ask Me Anything” Now ON! If anyone has a question to ask then nows your chance!
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/uquu1/iam_we_are_chris_jones_aaron_conners_the_tex/

For those who just want to read the Questions and Answers without other comments then someone seems to be compiling them together here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/uquu1/iam_we_are_chris_jones_aaron_conners_the_tex/c4xqhws

Tex Murphy - Project Fedora. A new Adventure Game with Adventure Game with Noir Detective and Sci-Fi themes upcoming.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Stretch goals have been posted:

“If we exceed funding by 10%: Additional story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters).

If we exceed funding by 20%: Port the game to additional platforms, provide Text translations for French, Italian, German, Spanish (English will already be included). Finally, more recognizable actors.

If we exceed funding by 30%: Another expansion of the story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters), ingame golf game, and Live Orchestra for the games’ music.”

But bad, but they should have just posted the direct amount and not percentages

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-03-26

PM

I wonder what the ‘new’ platforms will be?  Will it get a physical release on Xbox or just be via XBLA?

Either way, good news.  A new Tex Murphy game after all these years, need to find time to replay all the old ones again!

If I win the Euro Millions tonight I will up my pledge and get that walk on part!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

wilco - 08 June 2012 09:50 AM

Stretch goals have been posted:

“If we exceed funding by 10%: Additional story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters).

If we exceed funding by 20%: Port the game to additional platforms, provide Text translations for French, Italian, German, Spanish (English will already be included). Finally, more recognizable actors.

If we exceed funding by 30%: Another expansion of the story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters), ingame golf game, and Live Orchestra for the games’ music.”

But bad, but they should have just posted the direct amount and not percentages

Is it that hard to work out?

$495k, $540k and $585k

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m stoked! How awesome would a live orchestra recorded soundtrack be!!!

These guys really deserve this success. The amount of work, enthusiasm and cleverness put into their kick starter campaign is impressive.

Joined 2011-01-07

PM

A 72 hours non-stop marathon of ALL 5 Tex Murphy Games with commentary by fan Bjyman just started (with a Chip-in to raise extra funds for the Kickstarter below the video similar to other fan marathons for Kickstarters).

http://www.twitch.tv/bjyman/

TODAYS GAME: Mean Streets (the first Tex Murphy game)

Tex Murphy - Project Fedora. A new Adventure Game with Adventure Game with Noir Detective and Sci-Fi themes upcoming.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I have to credit this Kickstarter for being a mostly positive experience all the way through.

Since Double Fine, my eyes have really been opened to how fickle (read: petty and annoying) matters can be on Kickstarter but Tex was able to avoid all that with high quality communication and quick repudiations over stupid rumours.

Congrats. I’ll be looking very forward to this.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

It had its share of negativity in the beginning, when people suddenly decided DRM was the most important thing in the world, much more important than the game itself. But it worked out in the end.

I’m really glad it made it with time to spare. I expect some pretty slow days now, as the SpaceVenture kickstarter is on the final leg, and it feels good that Tex is fully funded and safe at this time.

Worried about the stretch goals, though. Especially the Xbox version. Do they have any idea how much becoming an Xbox developer costs? The extra funding isn’t going to be anywhere near enough, and I wouldn’t want a huge chunk of the overall budget to go towards funding an Xbox 360 devkit and all that.

Plus… adapting the game for consoles is the reason all new Telltale games have sucky interfaces on the PC. I do NOT want this for Fedora.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Kolorabi - 09 June 2012 05:05 AM

It had its share of negativity in the beginning, when people suddenly decided DRM was the most important thing in the world, much more important than the game itself. But it worked out in the end.

What issues they did have, they cleared up pretty quickly. They really came prepared for this campaign, did their homework, had some creative ideas of their own, spent actual money and got a real director to make an impressive pitch video (the best I’ve seen on KS)... Tex’s fanbase is small, but they really did a top-notch job of giving them exactly what they needed to get fired up and donate big.

Worried about the stretch goals, though. Especially the Xbox version. Do they have any idea how much becoming an Xbox developer costs? The extra funding isn’t going to be anywhere near enough, and I wouldn’t want a huge chunk of the overall budget to go towards funding an Xbox 360 devkit and all that.

They used to be a part of Microsoft, so I’m pretty sure they know, but this was a concern of mine as well. HOWEVER, they said they’re not worrying about ports until they’ve concluded development on PC.

Given the the relatively modest amounts for the stretch goals, as well as their new found windfall for advertising, I strongly suspect that they have outside investors matching funds or basing their investment on the success of the Kickstarter in some way. They also have about $300,000 in funds from their casual and GOG games that they’re putting toward this.

Joined 2011-01-07

PM

10% Stretch Goal reached! Which was: Additional story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters). Including expanding Chandler Avenue with 3 additional businesses to explore and more characters to populate the street.

Next 20%!

Kolorabi - 09 June 2012 05:05 AM

Plus… adapting the game for consoles is the reason all new Telltale games have sucky interfaces on the PC. I do NOT want this for Fedora.

The primary focus is the PC version (and Mac will be included of course).

There was some worry about this yesterday in the Kickstarter comments and they nipped it in the bud stating outright that it “will be developed with PC’s in mind, with any ports coming after the fact” Smile
[spoiler]

Paul - Member, Mutant League about 20 hours ago

Yeah i know, i just want to make sure what multi-platform would “possibly” mean if it happens thats all, incase people think it might be not much of a problem and it wouldnt affect the game when it would. As i have tried adv games on consoles and they really are not the best platform for it and i would hate it if tex was tweaked to run on them and the pc version had them tweaks in. Touchscreen phones and tablets i really wouldnt like that feature in a pc version either.

I just hope people understand that it costs alot of extra money for a console version like the xbox as has been stated they need a publisher, they need to pay to get it on that platform which isnt cheap, and it costs thousands for any patches that needs to be done.

But at the end of the day if it gets made then it gets made and if people want it then let them have it i guess. I just “hope” if it happens then it tries not to effect the core of the fans platform the PC as much. The PC must be first, its where its fans came from and still are from. New platforms i think should be considered after the kickstarter project like the next tex game or one after “if” the market is there for it.

Hopefully i wasnt coming off too strong in these replies i just feel strongly and want tex to be the best it can be which i feel is it needs all funds on the pc version. If people want other platforms thats fine im not saying flat out no or saying pc is the best and others arnt well ok maybe a little lol but argh im rambling now so ill leave it there. Most important thing for all of us is that it gets the funding which it has and extra funding would be lovely regardless of the promise of multiplatforms. Smile

Mariusz Kowalski about 20 hours ago
I agree 100%. I’m worried so much about this multi platform thing that I’m ready to drop my pledge to a minimum. It costs extra in licensing and porting for one, but the biggest thing is the fact that there aren’t any adventure games of such type on consoles. The closest is something like Dreamfall.

There just isn’t a market for such things because of the demographics. Console gamers aren’t into solving puzzles and wandering around looking under tables for clues. If Tex is to be ported then there would have to be a large redesign to make it easy to play on a TV, so there would be an obnoxious large font interface with button presses highlighted ‘press x to start’, ‘press A to talk’ etc.the puzzles would have to be stripped down so even the lowliest Gears of War player can solve them etc.

Bad move Chris….don’t do it. I hope Microsoft rejects this idea even if he won’t. Frankly, to hell with the other platforms. Where were they in the past? Why wasn’t there a clamour for Tex in the past from all the Xbox or Playstation owners? Yeah that’s right, they didn’t even know it existed or if they saw it somewhere they would have roared with laughter and went back to Dark Souls or Uncharted. If after a year or two after Tex is released there is a petition to port it or something then ok, but MAKE IT AS IF WERE A PC EXCLUSIVE FIRST!

skydraft lda about 20 hours ago

Consoles interface are great for adventure type games.
If there are few games of this style for them, even better! LESS competition!

As for the extra costs, as you can see, they will only port it if they have a good extra margin, its not even their top priority.

Rena about 19 hours ago

Well Xbox port has been proposed since Day 1 and in the FAQ for weeks Smile Chris Jones has said however this won’t be a casual game. Some (including old devoted fans) were worried about them mentioning “modern audiences” in an interview, people worried they were going to “water things down for shorter attention spans”. Here are some of the answers Chris has given to those concerns (not including any that might of been in the Reddit AMA):
http://pastebin.com/e1pFqwVR

Chris Jones & Aaron Conners about 19 hours ago
Hey Guys,
We just wanted to clarify - “Project Fedora” will be developed with PC’s in mind, with any ports coming after the fact.

Mariusz Kowalski about 19 hours ago

@ Chris & Aaron…Jesus guys, can’t you think what it does to us depressed, cynical PC gamers with such announcements? Thanks for the clarification!

Paul - Member, Mutant League about 19 hours ago

Thank you for the comment Chris and Aaron. Wink

[/spoiler]

Joined 2011-01-07

PM

Non-Stop Tex Murphy Marathon!
CURRENT GAME: UNDER A KILLING MOON

Join Blair aka Bjyman (with commentary) as he aims to stay up playing through all 5 previous Tex Murphy games. Chip-in below the video to raise extra funds for the Kickstarter.

Check it out even if it is just to bump up the viewer count or chat to keep him awake Grin

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2009-12-24

PM

haven;t played any of the tex games but happy to see its funded.

Joined 2011-01-07

PM

Non-Stop Tex Murphy Marathon!
CURRENT GAME: PANDORA DIRECTIVE

Bjyman (with commentary) is aiming to to stay up playing through all 5 previous Tex Murphy games. He plans to exhaust all the A B C conversation paths that he can in Pandora Directive (thats a lot!). Chip-in below the video to raise extra funds for the Kickstarter.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2003-11-19

PM

We still need help with some DELICIOUS stretch goals for the final few days.  They are:

If we exceed funding by 10% ($495,000+): Additional story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters) (ALREADY MET)

If we exceed funding by 20% ($540,000+): Port the game to additional platforms, provide Text translations for French, Italian, German, Spanish (English will already be included). Finally, more recognizable actors.

If we exceed funding by 30% ($585,000+): Another expansion of the story (including puzzles, gameplay, locations and characters), ingame golf game, and Live Orchestra for the games’ music.

So please pledge if you haven’t yet for a bigger, better game! Smile

texmurphy.com

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top