• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Tex Murphy on Kickstarter

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

orient - 06 June 2012 10:46 PM

Wow, did we really just raise $52,000 in a day? :-|

60k actually! and another 10k wouldnt even be surprising at this point.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Tex is funded!

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

zane - 06 June 2012 10:59 PM

and another 10k wouldnt even be surprising at this point.

Another 10K? Its now 17K in 5 hours

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Last time I checked, the campaign was at 360K and struggling.

Now they’re funded!!! Crazy

This calls for a !!!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

This is amazing!

I was just checking the Magnificent 7 video when I noticed it’s already funded! What a masterstroke.
This is really the most well-thought out kickstarter I’ve seen.

I can’t believe we’re really having a new Tex Murphy!

Now, on to the stretch goals!!!!!!

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

I’ve seen a few people speculate that the secret backers are actually Chris and Aaron themselves and that it’s all their own money being pledged, and I honestly find those kinds of ideas preposterous. I’m sure these guys are smart enough to have read the KS rules carefuly and don’t want to jeopardize their whole project by doing something fishy. I almost feel a little bit insulted on their behalf. ;P

(Edit: “Insulted” probably wasn’t quite the right word. I know we’re all rooting for them, but seeing the speculations makes me wish people would have a little more faith in Chris’ and Aaron’s brains/business skills/ability to read, is all. I guess it’s the fangirl in me that’s feeling protective!)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I choose to believe it was James Earl Jones donations Smile

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Dienerstrasse - 07 June 2012 08:18 AM

I’ve seen a few people speculate that the secret backers are actually Chris and Aaron themselves and that it’s all their own money being pledged

Must be pauls trowes again Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Smile Cheers!!! Tex is Funded.

“Marty, set the DeLorian for August 2013” I want to play now!

Wonder what the new game will be called?

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I’m happy to see that Tex got all its funding ahead of the deadline. I wonder how much more they’ll get in the final week.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Haven’t been following this too closely, but anyone know if they will get all the old actors back? Would be good if they could.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Tex is back (:p), Rook is back, Louie is back, Chelsea is presumably back (they aren’t saying yes it no on her, so I’m assuming they don’t want to spoil it Smile.

Tex is back!!!!!!

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2010-04-17

PM

aaron & chris are adding their money after the kick starter is finished as we needed more than the $450, in actually fact the figure needed was $750,000 & why would they put their own money into it & they loose the commission to kick starter & amazon. It doesn’t take half a brain to work out this wouldn’t happen.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-01-07

PM

plumgas - 07 June 2012 10:47 AM

aaron & chris are adding their money after the kick starter is finished as we needed more than the $450, in actually fact the figure needed was $750,000

I agree I doubt they would or could add their own money. A few reasons:

—The bare minimum was indeed more like 750. Bearing in mind they want to make this “better than the last 3 games” though as stated on their page, they will soon announce stretch goals and from interviews they said they’ll be based on other Kickstarters (e.g. 30% over the goal) to be able to make the game bigger, with more paths/content, more opportunities with casting, more platforms/languages and even greater execution etc. So to put in their own money would be nonsensical considering the 450k was just a minimum (even with the extra they had saved up from Big Finish past releases). The stretch goal will be what really makes the game “better than previous” I feel. Similar to other Kickstarters stretch goals e.g. Jane’s 300k was a minimum but the stretch goal of 450k added a orchestrated score, they also hoped to add more dialogue but I think they maybe didnt reach far enough past the goal, though they are still trying to add them last I heard depending on the final budget after Rewards.

—There was still more than a whole week to get the game funded at the minimum. So assuming all they needed was the 450k (with their money put in), they could of just waited until the end. But in actual fact for a game of this type with fully explorable 3D environments, multiple endings and live actors the budget is fairly low even with stretch goals they’re asking for less than some other Kickstarters got like Leisure Suit Larry. They’ve obviously thought alot about what they can do within a tight budget, so adding their own money would not be possible I feel.

—Amazon Payments blocks project creators from backing their own project and if they did back their own project via a roundabout way such as a different account they could lose ALL the money according to the FAQ. So if anyone is wondering you can always Send a Message on Kickstarter to ask them to confirm public based on this link:
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/creators#IPledToMyOwnProjFromAnotAccoAndNowMyAmazPaymAccoIsCanc

—Also it doesnt seem so unusual there’d be 7 backers out of the 5,000+ willing to donate 4k if others stepped up to the plate in making a pledge or increasing their pledges. I know on the Unofficial Tex Murphy Forums there were people who put up 10k from the getgo. I have seen in other fundraisers generous donators say “Whatever people donate between now and xx time I will double it!” to encourage a big rush of donations. So it does happen.

Tex Murphy - Project Fedora. A new Adventure Game with Adventure Game with Noir Detective and Sci-Fi themes upcoming.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Wooot. Congrats to the return of Tex.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top