• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

THE AGGIE AWARDS

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just seen all of the nominations, no disagreement from me at all as I’ve only played a fraction of the games, & looking forward to the final results.  Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

One of my very favorite games is up for multiple Aggie awards, that’s Whispers of the Machine. I will be pulling for it in the next few weeks!

I see the new Nancy Drew game is up for one Aggie. I do agree, the voice acting in that game was pretty good.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

Bummed to see YU-NO with no nominations despite being in the eligible list. Is it just because no one in the team bothered to check it out? Because in Japan it’s regarded as an all-time masterpiece and really should be at least nominated for best story (which it’s famous for), if not more (the time travel gameplay system in particular is still super innovative), and DEFINITELY WIN BEST MUSIC zero contest. Composer Ryu Umemoto had probably an IQ of ~200.

Some reviews of the remake for more info:
https://www.tech-gaming.com/yu-no/
http://www.digitallydownloaded.net/2019/10/review-yu-no-girl-who-chants-love-at.html
https://dashgamer.com/2019/10/yu-no-a-girl-who-chants-love-at-the-bound-of-this-world-review/

OST samples:
Fate
Those who leave (the climax starting at 1:40 is just mind-shattering)
Mutual interaction (super natural and expressive modulation at 1:09)
The whole OST is 5 hours of some of the highest quality music I’ve heard in my life (and this is coming from an avid listener of J. S. Bach and other classical greats).

On the other hand, YU-NO’s 2019 release is a remake of a 1996 release - although it’s also its first official English release.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

The boundaries between Traditional and Non-traditional adventure seem more than a little subjective.

Life is Strange 2 and especially Eastshade are games I wouldn’t have expected a decade ago, while Hypnospace Outlaw does have some predecessors which involved fishing around a database or interface for information, which date back to the 80s (Portal, AMFV).

Laukku - 24 January 2020 05:48 PM

and DEFINITELY WIN BEST MUSIC zero contest. Composer Ryu Umemoto had probably an IQ of ~200.

OST samples:
Fate
Those who leave (the climax starting at 1:40 is just mind-shattering)
Mutual interaction (super natural and expressive modulation at 1:09)
The whole OST is 5 hours of some of the highest quality music I’ve heard in my life (and this is coming from an avid listener of J. S. Bach and other classical greats).

Foot in mouth

That was my expression listening to that and your comparison with Bach.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vehelon - 24 January 2020 07:42 PM

Foot in mouth

That was my expression listening to that and your comparison with Bach.

Seconded.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I don’t think he compared Ryu Umemoto’s work to Bach’, he was only ‘bragging’ about his taste of music and having good ears, nobody is foolish enough to put the classical composers who had made rules, to begin with. in any comparison. like you can’t compare any i.e writer of this generation to Shakespeare and Dickens.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Bummed to see YU-NO with no nominations despite being in the eligible list. Is it just because no one in the team bothered to check it out?

It was nominated internally, just didn’t make the cut. Certainly not many of us played it, though, which is inevitable with 180 games to choose from.

And “bothered to” is not a phrase that even enters the conversation. We obviously play and cover as many games as we possibly can.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

We are very honored by the nominations, and we’re in great company. Good luck to everyone!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Yes, I’ve been pretty slack with my adventuring over 2019. This will be the first time that I’ll be using the awards articles as recommendations rather than a source to vent my frustration over glory lost.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wow, nice to see that Disco Elysium was recognized as an adventure game after all and got so many nominations. Of course, I will vote for Hypnospace Outlaw Smile

while Hypnospace Outlaw does have some predecessors which involved fishing around a database or interface for information, which date back to the 80s (Portal, AMFV).

Traditional means the most common type of adventures released on a regular basis, not a couple of ancient predecessors. And Hyppnospace is about internet, not database search which involves many different gameplay elements.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Bummed to see YU-NO with no nominations despite being in the eligible list…....
.........Because in Japan it’s regarded as an all-time masterpiece and really should be at least nominated for best story….....

Not all players who’ve posted a review on Steam would agree although most of the reviews are positive.
Unfortunately the price is very prohibitive - there’s certainly no way that I would pay £39.99 for a digital download.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Doom - 25 January 2020 07:41 AM

while Hypnospace Outlaw does have some predecessors which involved fishing around a database or interface for information, which date back to the 80s (Portal, AMFV).

Traditional means the most common type of adventures released on a regular basis, not a couple of ancient predecessors.

If that’s the case, how many adventure games involving crafting and roaming a large open-world populated with NPCs (Eastshade) are released regularly?

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2013-08-23

PM

Thank you so much for the nominations! Grin

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2011-12-30

PM

chrissie - 25 January 2020 09:24 AM

Bummed to see YU-NO with no nominations despite being in the eligible list…....
.........Because in Japan it’s regarded as an all-time masterpiece and really should be at least nominated for best story….....

Not all players who’ve posted a review on Steam would agree although most of the reviews are positive.

You will always find someone disliking something popular. Perhaps a better indicator of its reception, with a larger user vote sample size, would be its VNDB ranking of #33 (out of tens of thousands of titles).

Well, in the grand scheme of things this isn’t something to worry too much about. Nominating a title originating from 1996 (and which predates this very site) would’ve perhaps been against the spirit of Aggies anyway. Smile

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vehelon - 25 January 2020 09:54 AM

If that’s the case, how many adventure games involving crafting and roaming a large open-world populated with NPCs (Eastshade) are released regularly?

I haven’t played Eastshade and can’t say anything about crafting. Does it involve collecting and combining elements to create something? In that case it is pretty traditional. Although from what I saw and read it’s one of those “walking simulators” with some minor RPG elements. In this case it probably belongs in the “Non-Traditional” nomination despite walking sims are released on a regular basis these days.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Don’t overthink the Traditional/Non-Traditional thing. It is subjective, and will always be subjective, and a whole bunch of games could have come down on either side. But it’s really just a bonus award and every game was eligible for one of them.

Our basic principle for deciding, however, was which games essentially boil down to the same basic formula: leisurely explore, collect/combine items or clues, talk to people, solve puzzles in a relatively straightforward manner. (Some games with more or less of those particular elements but still basically the same idea.) Any games that disrupt that approach either structurally or mechanically are treated as non-traditional.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top