• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Looking for a very specific type of adventure game

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2018-03-10

PM

Got an itch that I’m hoping y’all can help me scratch. I’m in the mood to play a fantasy adventure that has the hero finding and using adventuring items (rope, etc) but also magical items in clever ways to solve puzzles. For example, boots of flight to cross chasms, wand of ice to cross rivers, etc. Could even be an adventure/rpg hybrid.

I’ve already played the Quest for Glory series as well as Shannara and Deathgate.

Really appreciate it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you need to make your own cutsom-adventure pal.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2018-03-10

PM

Advie - 26 April 2019 05:32 PM

So nothing like this out there huh?

Total Posts: 2070

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

On the contrary, there are many great fantasy adventures: from the King’s Quest series to Mage’s Initiation. Personally I recommend King’s Quest 6, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, Heroine’s Quest and A Tale of Two Kingdoms (freeware, but high-class), Tale of a Hero, Dragonshpere.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

hunter1979 - 26 April 2019 05:40 PM
Advie - 26 April 2019 05:32 PM

So nothing like this out there huh?

no there are a few, but you reminded me of a thought (a wish) i had not so long ago about having adventure games made custom(ly) for each one of us (by demands) in the future, in the same way, you asked about yours.. nevermind.

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The kind of adventure you are looking for is hard to find. Of the people who responded, there are maybe five games that meet your needs.

I know this is sacrilege, but there are probably several hundred Casual Games that match your criteria.

I know it might be hard, but maybe Grim Tales: The Ice Queen might be exactly what you are looking for.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Try Book of Unwritten Tales 1 and 2.

That should scratch your itch quite nicely.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Tales might interest you. You don’t get to do that much magic as in spells and stuff, but the entire concept of transferring items from one fairytale to another is based on using magic bag that allows it and so on.

If you want something where you can use those specific items you mentioned, maybe you want to check out RuneScape. IIRC, there are some quests in that game that require negative weight and such. It’s not an adventure game, but MMORPG, so you need to do things to raise your stats before you can even begin most quests.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Mage’s Initiation. There’s also the old game The Fifth Disciple.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

The first game that sprung to mind as I read the OP description was Death Gate, but he has played it already.

Dark Eye : the chains of Satinav and Memoria fit the bill, in my opinion, even though magic is, if I recall correctly, not as developped as you might want.

Dragonsphere is right on the spot, I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned (edit : yes, it was mentioned).

Also The Whispered World, albeit as comedy, has a fantasy setting and the familiar is used kinda like magic spells would be in another game.

Edit : Wait, there are also the Kyrandia games. I highly recommend the second one, Hand of Fate, which is way above the others in my opinion and can be played independently.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Have you played Loom? It doesn’t have inventory items, but the puzzles are all about using particular ‘spells’ in creative ways. If you’re not allergic to text, some of the Infocom games might fit the bill too - Wishbringer and the Enchanter trilogy in particular.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

How about A Tale of Two Kingdoms?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/603870/A_Tale_of_Two_Kingdoms/

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top