• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The age of VR is starting

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

nomadsoul - 18 June 2016 12:05 AM

Re7 making people sick

It begins

http://www.cnet.com/news/playstation-vr-batman-final-fantasy-resident-evil-e3-2016/

People will have to learn that what looks great on monitor often doesn’t work in VR and vice versa. Vive is the first VR done right. While it might not look like that in videos and descriptions, playing games/experiences on Vive is a pure joy. It’s incredible.
And it seems Oculus Rift might join it, once Touch controllers will be released and they’ll finally drop their “classic games in VR” mentality.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

They are working on the sickness

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36550369

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve heard that PSVR has greatly reduced the motion sickness problem.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Looks cooool

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2016-07-23

PM

Not sure if this has been discussed before but seems Minecraft is getting VR upgrade as well Grin

edit: Proper review here!

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

KnightofValor - 22 August 2016 03:59 AM

Not sure if this has been discussed before but seems Minecraft is getting VR upgrade as well Grin

edit: Proper review here!

I can never forget cringy E3 moments,

Carmack nightmares…

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Age of VR has ended already,

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1274427

Maybe Sony can change this, but we need dedication, utilities and far more investment pls dec price to facilitate entry point.
No wonder Re7 to BatmanVR gonna attract fans, but the mileage will define it.
Batman VR is 1 hr, i can goto my pals home to sit and party for an hour.
Then wat?
Maybe million sales of vr games will motivate devs to keep churning stuff.
But again will it sustain or die in few years like kinect and motion controls.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 06 September 2016 07:41 AM

die in few years like kinect and motion controls.

I always thought this would be the case for VR. A fad that’ll be gone after a couple of years.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I pre-ordered PSVR but I’m still wondering if I will actually get it. I wish there some way to try it here.

TimovieMan - 06 September 2016 10:47 AM

I always thought this would be the case for VR. A fad that’ll be gone after a couple of years.

Isn’t that the natural cycle of the most entertainment products? The Wii was a fad but I still plenty of good nights playing it in group.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’m pretty sure this won’t happen. FB spent too much money on Oculus and are playing a long-term game. HTC is actually very pleased with early adoption and is planning a full dive in VR.

Also if you own Vive, you can see new titles on Steam daily (usually 3 or more). True, most of them are shorter or early access, some can be even cash-grabs, but there are true gems among them and I honestly haven’t had so much fun with gaming as I did this last 5 months with Vive.
And there are also bigger titles coming (such as Fallout4 and Obduction).

Vive is an excellent tech and I’m completely convinced VR is far from fad. I think it’s the way computer entertainment will move in future.

Are these early days for VR? Of course. Is it too expensive? Sure. Is HMD still too uncomfortable for longer playing? Yes. Is VR a new medium? Absolutely.

That’s all you need to know to understand why adoption is not yet at the point where it could be considered mainstream.

It will probably take small and light glasses-like form factor, cheaper price and inclusion of AR (one device that will do it all and will make phones and screens pretty much obsolete) for VR to really take off. It’s a long game, but I’m sure it’s where we are heading on the long run.

As it is, Vive seems like a peek into the future. It’s great and still blows my mind regularly.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 06 September 2016 11:58 AM

I pre-ordered PSVR but I’m still wondering if I will actually get it. I wish there some way to try it here.

Isn’t that the natural cycle of the most entertainment products? The Wii was a fad but I still plenty of good nights playing it in group.

Only that its antisocial, miyamoto said,

“When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner, or maybe they go into a separate room and they spend all their time alone playing in that virtual reality, that’s in direct contrast with what it is we’re trying to achieve with Wii U. And so I have a little bit of uneasiness with whether or not that’s the best way for people to play.”

More good reads,

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/276427/Miyamoto_speaks_to_the_state_of_Nintendos_VR_efforts.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/KrisGraft/20160624/275803/Heres_probably_why_VR_made_you_sick_at_E3.php

Andrewhouse labeling them as themepark rides but solo not social.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

nomadsoul - 06 September 2016 01:10 PM

Only that its antisocial, miyamoto said,

I do agree it would be a problem if people would spend an unhealthy amount of time in VR. But right now, we are not even close to the point where VR COULD become antisocial Smile VR so far is a great way to relax and play here and there for an hour (or 2 if you’re reeeeally stretching it- happens sometimes, because content is so compelling, but it becomes pretty uncomfortable by that point).

I’d also argue it’s not really totally antisocial. Gathering with friends and playing in VR is great. Just watching what people in VR see on monitor and then watching them making funny stuff in real life is great for spectators, who then jump in VR themselves. It’s cool and great fun.
I mean, I’d argue that even playing games on your console while your gf is doing something else is not much more social.

But, yes, I do believe AR glasses that won’t erase real world around you will be the key factor that will make VR compelling to masses as well. Using AR and jumping in VR only when you’ll want full immersion.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

If all members have gear and connected maybe then.
Wii worked for all getting in room with equal participation.
Pokemongo worked for same social reasons, since everyone own one cell each.
I think ergonomics and conforming to easy interface and standard will play role for mass adoption, lets see.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2016-09-08

PM

Virtual reality is a whole new medium. The market for virtual reality technology is probably vast, its applications are growing, and it’s attracting money at a rapid clip. The gaming world is experiencing a wonderful time and there is no stop for it! It is just becoming better and better in the coming days.
Of course, there are more possible applications for the virtual reality beyond entertainment.  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top