• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Top ten women in….

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2016-03-23

PM

Hi, I am attempting to get feminist opinions on all the “top 10 women” list appearing on YouTube and if you find them ALL offensive or just some.

In particular, I would appreciate your opinion on the one I just created and posted:

My intent was to present a top ten list that was both appealing to women and promoted a less sexist viewpoint of women in gaming….I would like to know if you think I succeeded or not. I am attempting to create a gaming channel that appeals to a variety of people, but is also a place where anyone can come and feel welcome and valued—Thank you in advance for your feedback!

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’m a guy so not exactly your target audience per se.  That being said, there’s nothing wrong with your choices in my view(it is just opinion after all), but I feel some alternative options might be better so here’s my short take.

I know they make great RPGs with deep characters but you’ve got a lot of Bioware represented on that list and in my view there are some more deserving candidates for some of those slots.  I might limit the Bioware options to two maximum.  Some other suggestions for those slots:

Ellie from The Last of Us.
Clementine from The Walking Dead series.
Jade from Beyond Good and Evil.
Sam from Gone Home.
Hannah from Her Story.
April Ryan from The Longest Journey/Dreamfall.
Ciri from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Rosa Blackwell from The Blackwell Series.

Sam in particular I like as a choice because(minor spoiler): You don’t even see her in the game beyond some family pictures you see as the player.  She is a fully realized, relatable character even under those circumstances.

This may not be the point of the discussion, but I think it would give you some more diversity in your top ten(besides the candidates being worthy of it imo), which would likely appeal to more people.

Joined 2016-03-23

PM

HitBattousai - 24 March 2016 12:23 AM

I’m a guy so not exactly your target audience per se.  That being said, there’s nothing wrong with your choices in my view(it is just opinion after all), but I feel some alternative options might be better so here’s my short take.

I know they make great RPGs with deep characters but you’ve got a lot of Bioware represented on that list and in my view there are some more deserving candidates for some of those slots.  I might limit the Bioware options to two maximum.  Some other suggestions for those slots:

Ellie from The Last of Us.
Clementine from The Walking Dead series.
Jade from Beyond Good and Evil.
Sam from Gone Home.
Hannah from Her Story.
April Ryan from The Longest Journey/Dreamfall.
Ciri from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Rosa Blackwell from The Blackwell Series.

This may not be the point of the discussion, but I think it would give you some more diversity in your top ten(besides the candidates being worthy of it imo), which would likely appeal to more people.

I really do appreciate and value your thoughtful feedback….thank you!  Your point about Bioware is well made, and even some close friends of mine have pointed it out as an issues.  I suppose part of it is

A. I wanted to express MY opinion, and to me the Bioware representation really comes from the fact they just do such a great job overall of creating compelling characters.

and

B.  I do play a large variety of games, but the only character you mention that I have a lot of personal experience with is Clementine.  My reason for not including her is she did not meet the established Criteria in season 1. That said, now that I think about it I certainly agree I missed the boat on not including her on the list.  She should have replaced Ashley on the list and focused on Season 2 Clementine.

Thank you for the feedback, it has given me much to ponder about!

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

No problem, hope you get some good feedback.  I figured I’d also mention that given your preference for Bioware’s stuff, you’d probably really like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.  It has well developed, complex characters(for both genders) and has a very engrossing story.  You would however, have to write off about 100 hours if you want to experience most of the game Wink

Joined 2016-03-23

PM

HitBattousai - 24 March 2016 02:09 AM

No problem, hope you get some good feedback.  I figured I’d also mention that given your preference for Bioware’s stuff, you’d probably really like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.  It has well developed, complex characters(for both genders) and has a very engrossing story.  You would however, have to write off about 100 hours if you want to experience most of the game Wink

Haha, yeah, which is one of the reasons I haven’t yet Tongue.  Still replaying Witcher 1 and have to play 2 before I can even think about getting to 3!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I think the presentation is tailored towards young male gamers. As a result, the style feels really incongruent with the message. Did you look around at what channels feminists enjoy?

Joined 2016-03-23

PM

thejobloshow - 24 March 2016 05:38 AM

I think the presentation is tailored towards young male gamers. As a result, the style feels really incongruent with the message. Did you look around at what channels feminists enjoy?

Well, I won’t wholly disagree…I would say it is designed to get male gamers to be more thoughtful in what they value in women and to communicate to female gamers that ‘yes’ there is sexism in the industry, some of us realize it, and that women ARE valued for being complex.

As for your second point, that is EXACTLY why I am asking around.  I don’t claim to be anything more than a content creator for my channel…but I do care enough to come to a community unfamiliar to me and go:  Ok, what do you think?  My future content will be very dependent on feedback, and a female audience is one I really would enjoy creating content for.  I gotta start somewhere, though, and currently that just means asking:  Is this ok?  If not, what is?  What would you enjoy?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top