• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Experience 112 won’t run

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Hello all, I installed the game from an original DVD (no burned copy). When I click the icon, the game won’t run. The screen seems to go blank for a nano second, then the desktop returns. My computer exceeds the minimum system requirements, and I’m using Windows XP service pack 3. Also, according to the game installer, my Direct X is up-to date. Is there any relevant patch, or should I run the game insome sort of compatibility mode? Thank you for your kind advice.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I remember havng a similar problem with a game once. I also had everything like you described, and my DirectX had the right version number for the game. I then got the advice to run the DirectX installer of the game anyway. That helped.

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

I followed your kind advice, but to no avail. When I chose to install direct X, I got the message that the current version is updated, and the installer didn’t run. Should I uninstall direct X and then re-install it from the game?

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I don’t think that will help. Sorry. But you can try of course. I would make a backup of everything I love before I’d do that, however. You never know how Windows will react.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Did you try the patch?

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 08 July 2012 12:25 PM

Did you try the patch?

Looking for a patch was the first thing I did when the game didn’t run for the first time. I reinstalled the game, and downloaded the patch once again from two different sources (strategyinformer.com and gamefront.com. For some reason I couldn’t find the game on Lexis Numerique’s website). When I installed it I got a message: “Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation”. Winzip claimed: “CRC failed in protect dll. Unexpected end of archive”.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-07-13

PM

I know this is a bit old, but I just reinstalled this game.
Have not played it for long time, and got the same problem.

And I think I might have the solution for you. It worked for me at least.
Go into your game directory and find the experience112.ini (configuration) file.
Open it in WordPad (Notepad won’t display this correctly) and manually change Width and Height to match your desktop resolution.
In my case:
width=1920
height=1080

Hope this helps Smile

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Thanks for yor kind advice, it is much welcomed.

Unfortunately, the display properties in the .ini file were set correctly. This is the file, maybe I’m missing something there:

device=-1
width=1024
height=768
fullscreen=true
gamma=1.00

[renderer]
lighting=true
glow=true
noise=true
shadow=3
occlusion=true
stenciltwosided=true
scissor=true
portals=true

[sound]
volumeMusic=0.50
volumeVoice=1.00
volumeFX=1.00
volumeMaster=1.00

[game]
regionStrings=enUS
regionVoices=enUS

[ui]
mouseSensibility=1.00
grid=false
subtitles=true
autotracking=0
cameraSize=1
cameraMax=2
background=blue
theme=standard
bonusStep=0

[controls]
TROMBI=T
FILESYSTEM=E
MAIL=M
OBJECTIVES=O
LANGUAGETOOL=B
AREAMAP=P
CAMERAUPGRADE=C
OPTIONS=Z
LOAD=L
SAVE=S
SUBLOG=A
HELP=H
QUIT=Q

thanks for your time and effort :-)

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Important note: I updated all available system drivers using “slim drivers”. Still, game won’t run.

Joined 2013-07-13

PM

Thats strange. For me it worked with just editing the resolution. It looked like the game crashed when trying to change the resolution on my computer. I got a glimpse of the game screen before it crashed and windows gave an error message.

Your .ini file is the same as mine, except the resolution part.

Have you tried the game on another computer?
Or try to change resolution to a higher or lower setting, and see what happens.

It runs fine on my Windows 7 64bit computer. And looking at the game specs, you should not have a problem on your Windows XP system.

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Thanks again, my friend.

I checked the README file, and it said something about missing or failed vertex pixel shaders. Is it some component of the game, or is it downloadable from somewhere?

Joined 2013-07-13

PM

Hmm. That is more then I know, so I googled it.

A Pixel Shader is a GPU (Graphic Processing Unit) component that can be programmed to operate on a per pixel basis and take care of stuff like lighting and bump mapping.

A Vertex Shader is also GPU component and is also programmed using a specific assembly-like language, like pixel shaders, but are oriented to the scene geometry and can do things like adding cartoony silhouette edges to objects, etc.

Neither is better than the other, they each have their specific uses. Most modern graphic cards supporting DirectX 9 or better include these capabilities.

There are multiple resources on the web for gaining a better understand of how to use these things. NVidia and ATI especially are good resources for documents on this topic.

So from what this says, it is something in your graphics card.
The Readme file says something about minimum requirement for Graphics card 64MB, supporting vertex and pixel shaders 1.1, compatible with DirectX 9.0c

If I get the time one of these days, I’ll see if I can get one of the old computers here up and running again with Windows XP. If so I can see if I get the same problem there.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top