• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Controversial adventure game preferences and opinions?

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2018-04-04

PM

Probably my most controversial adventure game opinion is that Myst was a terrible game. I believe it got attention for its graphics only. The game was horrible. It had a crap story, arbitrary puzzles, and the navigation was horrendous. I got it soon after it came out, and I couldn’t even force myself to try to finish it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

hightreason - 05 August 2020 02:39 PM

Probably my most controversial adventure game opinion is that Myst was a terrible game. I believe it got attention for its graphics only. The game was horrible. It had a crap story, arbitrary puzzles, and the navigation was horrendous. I got it soon after it came out, and I couldn’t even force myself to try to finish it.

but however, its the best selling adventure game of all time, plus it had created a genre by itself.
yeah its your opinion and you are not alone on this, i ve heard it before, and tho Myst isn’t my cup of tea myself, but either is Pink Floyd and they are both have their own intelligence, no doubt about that.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There are a lot of critically acclaimed games that some people don’t like. I absolutely hated The Longest Journey. But I don’t think that was/is a controversial opinion.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2018-10-29

PM

rtrooney - 07 August 2020 12:02 PM

There are a lot of critically acclaimed games that some people don’t like. I absolutely hated The Longest Journey. But I don’t think that was/is a controversial opinion.

Oh, I can’t stand April’s voice. I think that’s what killed it for me.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I loved April, including her voice. At least as a teenager, maybe it will be different for me now.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2017-09-05

PM

I never realized that this opinion was controversial.

I am a developer and in our 3D point & click adventure KAPIA we used a linear story-driven format.

We made game feel modern by adding more clues to puzzles and minimizing pixel hunting. Overall, it made the game dynamic and story oriented, which I believe is a positive affect.

For developers, it is a constant battle of appealing to the younger audience while staying in the “classic” framework format.

This is what we ended up with:
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/14967

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Anna2for2 - 08 August 2020 03:50 AM

I never realized that this opinion was controversial.

I am a developer and in our 3D point & click adventure KAPIA we used a linear story-driven format.

We made game feel modern by adding more clues to puzzles and minimizing pixel hunting. Overall, it made the game dynamic and story oriented, which I believe is a positive affect.

For developers, it is a constant battle of appealing to the younger audience while staying in the “classic” framework format.

This is what we ended up with:
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/14967

It sounds like you made a game which appeals to a wide audience. Nothing controversial about that.

I feel it would be a lot more controversial to say screw the “audience” and make whatever game you damn well like, but that’s just my opinion Wink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 08 August 2020 05:18 AM

It sounds like you made a game which appeals to a wide audience. Nothing controversial about that.

I feel it would be a lot more controversial to say screw the “audience” and make whatever game you damn well like, but that’s just my opinion Wink

There’s no shame in trying to appeal to as large an audience as you can. You’re not just making the game for yourself, you actually want people to play it as well.

Just don’t pander to the audience. Don’t give in to “the general audience” (often a vocal minority) and their whims/demands. Try to appeal wide, but still make the game *you* want to make.

Pandering to the (vocal) audience often leads to a bland product that alienates the wider (silent) masses…

It’s a thin line. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’m not sure you get the idea for this thread. You could be 100% right, but that would still be irrelevant because it’s still not a controversial opinion.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 08 August 2020 07:28 AM

I’m not sure you get the idea for this thread. You could be 100% right, but that would still be irrelevant because it’s still not a controversial opinion.

I’m not sure you get that I wasn’t replying to the thread itself but was making an off-topic response to a developer’s post. Wink
Because sometimes a little bit of off-topic conversation is actually a good thing. Which in itself is a rather controversial AG forum opinion, so at least that is somewhat on-topic. Grin

As for the thread itself, I don’t really have that many controversial opinions for AGs. Except maybe that I’m *very* lenient with the genre definition. “Adventure-like” is often good enough for me, because “what’s in a name?”. Smile

I hate dead ends, I dislike *most* in-game deaths, I don’t like unforgiving timed sequences, I prefer hotspot revealers, and I don’t much care for modern-day 320x240 or less pixel art (which doesn’t even mean that I don’t want them made - I just won’t play them). So yeah, very little controversy there…

And there’s nothing controversial whatsoever in disliking a generally loved game, or loving a generally disliked game. To each their own.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

TimovieMan - 08 August 2020 07:55 AM

And there’s nothing controversial whatsoever in disliking a generally loved game, or loving a generally disliked game. To each their own.

Huh? That’s actually the very definition of controversy.

contro: against, contrary
verse: from “versus”

It means you have a different view from others. It’s not saying anyone should be ashamed of it, or it’s bad, which you implied when you started talking about shame.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

How is hating dead ends a controversial opinion? Pretty sure that’s the populat opinion.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 09 August 2020 01:02 AM

Huh? That’s actually the very definition of controversy.

contro: against, contrary
verse: from “versus”

It means you have a different view from others.

No, it means you have a (public) dispute about those opposing views.
Which is silly when it’s about liking or disliking a game, no matter how popular or unpopular it is. De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum - there’s no accounting for taste. If you hate a beloved game, there’s nothing the fans can say that’s going to sway your opinion (and vice versa). So what is there to dispute?

Luhr28 - 09 August 2020 01:02 AM

It’s not saying anyone should be ashamed of it, or it’s bad, which you implied when you started talking about shame.

Way to take my words out of context. The only mention of “shame” was when I said that there’s no shame in trying to appeal to a wider audience, which - while a response to one of your posts - was actually more aimed at Anna2for2 who is developing a game that’s trying to do just that.

Origami - 09 August 2020 04:33 AM

How is hating dead ends a controversial opinion? Pretty sure that’s the populat opinion.

That was my point. “Very little controversy there”. Wink

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Origami - 09 August 2020 04:33 AM

Back in the day, dead-ends and unexpected deaths were considered good game design. So presumably there are many who still like them, even if games these days rarely, if ever, have them.

Obviously these days when solving games as fast as possible is a value of its own kind with game clients and everything keeping public scores and all, it would take some very niche game developer to actually have them in the game. There are some, but none comes to mind immediately. They are probably more common in freeware AGS games, text adventures (interactive fiction), and that stuff than commercial games.

But here’s a question for all true adventure nerds: what is the latest game you can think of that has dead-ends? Tell the name of the game and release year.

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2018-04-04

PM

GateKeeper - 09 August 2020 06:14 AM

Back in the day, dead-ends and unexpected deaths were considered good game design.

I’m not so sure about that. Unexpected deaths, yes. Suddenly dying in a silly way was fun, and there are people who still look back fondly on that today even though few games have that anymore. But I could certainly imagine a new game having that (along with autosaves these days so you’re not screwed for failing to save).

But I don’t really know that dead ends were ever considered good game design. They were more of a product of not knowing better yet, a misstep along the path to developing good standards and practices for adventure game design. No one liked them at the time. No one looks back on them fondly nowadays. They were just a product of it being a new genre which hadn’t been quite perfected yet.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top