• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #63 – There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished chapter 4. Great to see even more gameplay variety!

It feels like Game is really warming up to User now. I found it hilarious how unimpressed Game is by Hero.

For me, chapter 3 was more fun than chapter 4. The latter makes a good point about F2P, but I got tired of clicking so much.

I wonder if we will ever get a clue about how User fits into the narrative.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I have to agree, the 4th chapter felt a bit tedious, especially since you never know how much money you are going to need, so I just kept clicking everywhere just in case. This became especially frustrating during the “press the right title” section since I couldn’t get the sudoku clue and kept trying various options (and paying money, and tapping the guy). I mean, the satire on F2P and pop-up ads was fun, and I ran straight to the bushes to check the secret as soon as I got the opportunity, but the puzzle itself was kinda meh. And the rest of the puzzles were too few and easy because of the limited interactions with the gameworld. I think it would’ve made a great “bonus” level, but as a whole chapter it felt like one long repeating joke. Maybe those familiar with F2P would enjoy it more, but then I would never understand those people. Why play this sort of idiotic intrusive games when there are hundreds of professionally made RPGs out there?

I’m really excited about the next chapter. The fake closing credits were funny and it looks like the gameplay will take a whole new direction.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

This was one of the best adventures I’d played in the last few years. With the exception of one chapter, it seemed to know exactly how long to keep a joke going, and how to time its comic beats perfectly.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Finished Chapters 3 and 4. Well, that was fun. Grin

I *love* the massive middle finger that’s given to Free2Play games, because those games are a blight upon the video game industry.

The boss fight vs. the Dark Lord got a bit tedious after a while. I had to replay it 5 or 6 times before I won it. It would have been better if we’d been given just a bit more room for error. Maybe a heart or two more life.
I often mistimed my spike jumps because the large stone needs time to drop as well before you jump and I often misclicked and made myself smaller instead of the bomb in front of me. I got it eventually, but I hated that we also first had to navigate the dark room again.

The Free2Play boss fight, on the other hand, was hilarious. Grin

I needed one small hint in Chapter 3 with the switches. I kept trying to make Hero smaller because he didn’t activate the switches then, and enlarging him when he did have to step on a switch which made timing extremely hard. It just didn’t occur to me to make him jump instead.
But I laughed hard when Hero insisted that it was his persistence that ultimately solved the puzzle, not anything we did. Grin
A bit similar to Holmes and his attempts at opening the door in the second chapter. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I made it past the Flying Squirrel OS section. The thing that baffled me was that I didn’t see the connection between the picture and the clock. Have now made it to Watson. I’m guessing this is Chapter 2.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Chapters 3 & 4 done.

I had a good time but…

Doom - 22 November 2020 03:26 PM

This became especially frustrating during the “press the right title” section since I couldn’t get the sudoku clue and kept trying various options (and paying money, and tapping the guy).

I COMPLETELY MISSED THAT CLUE!!!! I literally trial and errored that whole stepping on button sequence puzzle - what an idiot! The worst thing is I remember thinking to myself that those adverts must mean something but I would come back to looking at them… Pan  Pan  Pan

Other than that, I agree that Chapter 3 was the more fun of the two, although the getting things from adverts i.e. the spoon to dig was pretty inventive. Despite me missing the clue above.  Embarassed

Again the game is just so inventive with taking a style of game and making you play it an entirely different and ‘out of the box’ way but keeping to the spirit of the genre being parodied.

Pegbiter - 22 November 2020 07:43 AM

It feels like Game is really warming up to User now. I found it hilarious how unimpressed Game is by Hero.

Agree. Some personality in the characters now rather than just the comedy of trying to make the user go away at the beginning. Now they’re in it together and Game’s attitude is directed at Hero, Mr Glitch and the surroundings rather than the user, who Game is now relying on to fix things, rather than preventing him doing anything.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this plays out!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 21 November 2020 08:38 PM

I just turned 73, so I think I have you by a year or two or more.

No, you’re only a few months ahead of me. Smile

WitchOfDoubt - 23 November 2020 12:21 PM

This was one of the best adventures I’d played in the last few years. With the exception of one chapter, it seemed to know exactly how long to keep a joke going, and how to time its comic beats perfectly.

Just curious: which chapter?

TimovieMan - 23 November 2020 03:09 PM

Finished Chapters 3 and 4. Well, that was fun. Grin

I *love* the massive middle finger that’s given to Free2Play games, because those games are a blight upon the video game industry.

Me too. Chapter 4 also made me laugh more than 3. The game had me in stitches when our Hero started walking pixel by pixel. I loved the product placements, the dialogue between Hero and Princess, and I liked the puzzles even better. Having said that, the chapters 3 and 4 of this masterpiece are my least-preferred chapters.

Intense Degree - 24 November 2020 06:55 AM

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of this plays out!

I played this game in two sessions and after the first one I tried to “predict” what the next chapters would be like. Although I’d picked up one or two clues along the way I was totally wrong. Which is good.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

We’ve reached the final chapters, so let’s finish this wonderful game. Smile

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Finished the game.

-Loved the gameplay (well, almost all of it - trouble doing the arcade part at the end)
-Great humor
-The story didn’t fly for me. Whenever there was a scene with glitch, Creator or GiGi I was really confused what was going on. Which makes me feel dumb.
-Early chapters were the best, ending chapter was by far the worst.

I don’t know how many games this developer has made, it feels like this is their first or one of their first so I look forward to future endeavors.

More on the story: I just feel the exposition and storytelling could have been improved a lot, what was happening and who these characters were wasn’t clear a lot of the time, so that when it got to later chapters I was both confused and disinterested. It’s an easy mistake to make for first time developers, to assume the player knows things, and I’m sure this developer will only get better at making games!

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts, could you please put you opinion of the story in spoiler tags? It contains spoilers for people who haven’t played 5 and 6 yet.

I loved both 5 and 6. Can’t get more meta than 6 and Gigi’s song was a lovely surprise. (Maybe a reference to the song during the Portal credits.) What do you feel confused about? it’s just loads of silliness and fun.

Donuts McGee - 27 November 2020 06:24 AM

I don’t know how many games this developer has made, it feels like this is their first or one of their first so I look forward to future endeavors.

I checked Mobygames. There Is No Game is his first one (he founded Draw Me A Pixel), but over the years he has contributed to other video games. His pic made me laugh. Definitely the same guy as the Creator, but what’s with the glasses and the beard. Smile

https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,179129/

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Karlok - 27 November 2020 10:48 AM

Donuts, could you please put you opinion of the story in spoiler tags? It contains spoilers for people who haven’t played 5 and 6 yet.

Done! I added some more opinions on the story too.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Here’s my take on what’s going on. WARNING: Major spoilers. Don’t read this if you haven’t played 5 and 6. Gigi/GG stands for Global Gameplay and she was a necessary element of the game. The creator separated Gigi from Game and put her somewhere else, in the GPS part of an RPG. That was a serious mistake. No Global Gameplay means no game, so that’s the reason that There Is No Game for us to play from the start. Her removal resulted in a bug, Mr Glitch, who literally tells us she was reintegrated in another system. And then Gigi sings her code for us. In chapter 6 the creator tries to fix this mess by reuniting Gigi and Game again. I loved it when Gigi as GPS says she “is still on the phone”. Smile All this in the form of a fun love story, which I enjoyed immensely, but maybe you didn’t?

Does this help at all or are you confused about other stuff?

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished the game now. Because there was most definitely a game, and an excellent one at that.

Chapter 5 was the most enjoyable for me of the final two. Experimenting with different names for various roles was great fun and I loved GiGi:s song.

In the epilogue, I tried both endings, and preferred the one without Mr. Glitch.

Pegbiter - 22 November 2020 07:43 AM

I wonder if we will ever get a clue about how User fits into the narrative.

There seems to be no explanation of how User fits in the whole thing, and that’s fine. As far as I can tell, User needs to be another piece of software and not a human being since we manage to follow Game even on offline platforms.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Karlok - 27 November 2020 05:58 PM

Here’s my take on what’s going on. WARNING: Major spoilers. Don’t read this if you haven’t played 5 and 6. Gigi/GG stands for Global Gameplay and she was a necessary element of the game. The creator separated Gigi from Game and put her somewhere else, in the GPS part of an RPG. That was a serious mistake. No Global Gameplay means no game, so that’s the reason that There Is No Game for us to play from the start. Her removal resulted in a bug, Mr Glitch, who literally tells us she was reintegrated in another system. And then Gigi sings her code for us. In chapter 6 the creator tries to fix this mess by reuniting Gigi and Game again. I loved it when Gigi as GPS says she “is still on the phone”. Smile All this in the form of a fun love story, which I enjoyed immensely, but maybe you didn’t?

Does this help at all or are you confused about other stuff?

It helps, thank you. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it immensely and it was totally worth playing. I just thought it would all come together in the end and didn’t quite get there for me, with a clunkier execution than what could have been. Some chapters didn’t develop the main Gigi-Creator plot much at all, so it felt like key plot elements were included in the last chapter which felt like it could have been better thought out. That’s just my experience - did anyone else get more of an emotional impact from the ending?

Still a 4/5 game imo.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Absolutely loved the 5th chapter. Finally the story was properly introduced, and in a very tasteful way. The sudden switch from a lighthearted comedy to a heart-breaking drama didn’t confuse or bother me at all - we had already been told that the Game lost someone, and the love story was fully revealed in the song. Btw I failed to enter the password 2 times and was rewarded with 2 new verses (well, 3rd time around Gigi just mmmm-ed, but still they bothered to record that). Also loved the whole rapping and beatboxing by the Game, hilarious stuff)).

The chapter itself was very creative puzzle-wise, reminded me of one level from Goblins 3 where the hero was trapped in some sort of purgatory and changed the surroundings with different combinations of multicoloured worms. Here they went even further with combinations of various themes - Tim Burton and silent movies being my favourite, at last someone made a tribute to Buster Keaton and not Charley Chaplin Thumbs Up  The one with living fish behind wallpaper was surreal Monty Python-style, as well as the whole retro gaming part.

And the 6th chapter broke all the possible walls. Pulling pranks on the poor dev made me laugh a lot as well as watching him running away from the vacuum cleaner, great silliness. I’d say that it wasn’t the best part of the game as far as puzzles go, and you have to click A LOT, but it was a good conclusion nevertheless. The Game left me very impressed and a bit sad. Can’t wait for another game from Pascal. Indie games rule this year.

Thank you for the playthrough, Karlok and everyone else!

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top