• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m way behind you. Well, maybe not “way.” but all I’ve done is search the sub and the submersible, and learn the crane controls.

I think Lady K may have been a bit optimistic when she gave us five days to search the wreck. This section is one of the two hardest sections in the game. (The second is yet to come.) I remember it took me several days to even learn what the controls do and how to operate them. And then finding what you need to find without knowing what you need to find is like getting the teleporter to work, but taken to a whole new level of magnitude. I know she said she will monitor our progress and make adjustments if necessary. But, just sayin’.

Edit: I just re-read Lady K’s instructions for this section. Unless I read it wrong, the Fortress section is included, and is not a “take a breather” section of its own. Unless I play the WT instead of playing the game, there is no way I will finish by Friday, let alone finish by Friday if the Fortress is included.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Doom,
If you climbed down into a second opening at the back of the main submarine, you may be in the mini sub.  If not, have you put the coordinates into the computer?  (All can go in, but choose the wreck.)  Have you used the throttle lever you retrieved from Martin’s Roost?  Did you turn on the little power key?

RT,
I’ve combined both sections, but when everyone lets me know when they have finished with the wreck, I can adjust the time accordingly.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I played for just over an hour and made it to the wreck.  (I love the Jules Vernish look of the sub!) 

Two small spoilers that may save you a headache or two:
It’s best if you don’t turn on all the fancy keys on the left side at once.  Each one powers a different system, but if you turn them all on, you could lose power until you engage the main engine.

Before you get underway, make sure you have the right coordinates, then press enter.  The location will flash.  Oh, and I had forgotten that two of the 4 locations you can get to by sub are already programmed.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I made some good progress over the last few (or not so few) hours.

I had some hard time working with the crane, since I thought it was not operational at first (It was total by accident that I found out that you need to click where you want the lever to go and not drag it there, that made the crane operate).

After that, I managed to turn on the submarine. It was not that hard once you put logic in how things work (engine, navigation, ballast) and applied some of the logic found in previous machines in the game (do not overload the system or using another lever EXACTLY when another operation goes to a certain point).

And then I sent sail to the shipwreck….

Oh my….
Oh my, my….

Lady K, you did not prepare us for a maze in the game! Shame on you! Pan  Tongue
It was easy enough to figure out how to control the smaller sub, though the movement seemed random sometimes. After a respectable amount of time navigating, I found out a skull that I could not pick…. seems I was too late…. Frown and then after more hours of searching, I found a safe that I assumed probably had a piece of the machine I was looking for….. with no way to open it or grab it. I realised I probably missed something. Went all the way back (I lie. I loaded the game from the start of the shipwreck maze).... and after some hours, I found a !@#$ hook at the wall that the !@#$ robotic arm could interact with. To the game’s defence, there was a cinematic just before, of me submerging into the hatch where the hook was found, indicating that this was an important location, but still….. After that, it was easy to use the hook to open the safe (again, it took me time to go back there) and retrieve the part of the machine I needed. This is enough for now. My head hurts. The Fortress can wait for another day.

Frustrating. But it was atmospheric and certainly not the most unenjoyable maze I have seen (The Daedalus Encounter holds that trophy tight). The Myst influence from the spaceship world was more than obvious.
But if you tell me that there was a way to pick up the skull and I need to go back there, I will probably riot. Naughty

Doom - 12 October 2020 06:20 PM

I’m currently stuck on launching the sub. I think I did everything - opened the gate using the crane, entered the coordinates, fixed the water level, started the engine in the far-away room, but the thing just won’t move. I can’t turn the wheel and the porthole at the lower level only shows some wall structure. I was able to release a metal hand using one of the switches, but it doesn’t help anything. Am I missing something?

In the main sub, at the “control” (or “wheel” if you like) screen, you also need to use the lever you took from Martin’s office (according to Lady K, if the birdman managed to steal something, it is probably that) in a spot there to give it the final go.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH man.

I just came within about 5 seconds of completely giving up on this game.

I quite liked the crane puzzle. Getting the submarine working was ok too, still the feeling of not knowing what I’m doing but I got there.

Launching the diving bell took a little bit of working out, but that is where I stopped having fun. Manoeuvering that thing around was just horrible. After what seemed like hours of arbitrary movement around the wreck I had got the hook thing but couldn’t get any further at all. To cut a long story short, I had to resort to a walkthrough to progress any further, but even when I had found it I couldn’t open the safe. By now I was trying to cheat as hard as possible and I was looking at every walkthrough I could find. Still I couldn’t do it. I was literally just about to give up on the whole thing, when suddenly I managed it. In case anyone else is stuck in the same place, two things got me stuck…

I was in front of the safe. The walkthrough told me I had to move a piece of wood on the left which was hard to see. Well I really couldn’t see it at all and my random jabbings with the extendable arm were achieving nothing. It was a very long time before
I realised that I must have already moved the piece of wood. Stupid, stupid Intense Degree!

Next thing, the walkthrough said I needed to hook something to the left with the hook. I could see a hole that looked about right (it was) but for the life of me I couldn’t get the arm into the right position. It was only after more than one gameplay session of attempts I realised that 1. When the arm is in the right place the red light lights up; 2. You can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the arm properly rather than the haphazard lever on screen with your mouse. Pan  Pan  Pan

OK, so some of that was just my own stupidity, but so far this underwater section has been really poor for me, really sucked all the fun out of the game.

I’ve got back to the submarine, so I’m going to give it a break of a day or so before I try the next bit.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’m now finished with the shipwreck and have just arrived at the fortress.

Figuring out how to use the watercraft took a lot of testing, and I can’t say that I enjoyed it much. Moving around and inside the shipwreck was even more frustrating, and the movements of the pod in response to pulling levers feels mostly random.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m just reporting in to say that I’ve just left the wreck &....... just about avoided becoming one myself!  Laughing

More machinery, dials, switches, levers etc - aaargh…. I’ve conceded that for me, as a player who likes a little more reference rather than ‘just fiddling’ I was going to fiddle until I was getting nowhere & then just go straight to a walkthrough to save my sanity!

Intense Degree - 13 October 2020 09:39 AM

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH man.
I just came within about 5 seconds of completely giving up on this game.

My thoughts exactly except…...

......... so far this underwater section has been really poor for me, really sucked all the fun out of the game.

.... I was determined that I wasn’t going to have the fun sucked out of this game!!!  I know I’m not clever enough to progress without referring to a walkthrough far more than I would have liked but as far as I’ve got with that help I’ve got to progress & appreciate some more wonderful artwork & animation.

Doom - 12 October 2020 06:20 PM

.....I’m currently stuck on launching the sub. I think I did everything - opened the gate using the crane, entered the coordinates, fixed the water level, started the engine in the far-away room, but the thing just won’t move. I can’t turn the wheel and the porthole at the lower level only shows some wall structure. I was able to release a metal hand using one of the switches, but it doesn’t help anything. Am I missing something?

If you had the lever/throttle & still had problems I did find this part picky in that if you did things not in quite the right order you couldn’t progress - it took me two attempts.

N.B It took a lot of concentration to progress in places even following a walkthrough so kudos to all of yous who worked it out yourself!  Thumbs Up

I’m looking forward to exploring ‘The Fortress’......

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I am finally at the crash site. It took me more than an hour to get that darn sub moving Pan

I opened the gate, figured out what all the knobs do, started the engine, put in the crash site coordinates, but I was stuck trying to figure out how to operate the sub diving dials. I kept turning one wheel, waiting for it to fill and then turning the other, and I would get the ringing siren sound and things would reset. It wasn’t until in frustration I was frantically clicking on everything that I clicked on one of the wheels while the other one was half way through. It is probably my fault though, because there is a blue marker on one of them that is a hint that when the water level reaches here, use the other. I just couldn’t interpret the hint they gave me. Meh 

Anyway it was late last night when I got to the crash site, so today I will pick up where I left off.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’m pretty sure that I’ve done all I can at the fortress now, having both retreived the weapon piece and repaired the ornithopter. So I’m ready to leave by air or water.

This section was much more enjoyable than the underwater labyrinth. The only problem I had was that it took me a while to realize that I could look down at the base of the statue.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There was lots of RL stuff today. Didn’t get a chance to play at all. Hopefully I’ll get a chance to put in an hour or two tomorrow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2061

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ok, I’m finished with the submarine section. Great thanks everyone for the hints! I would’ve NEVER guessed that the metal thing in my inventory is the sub’s launch lever which needs to be used on the tiny non-active spot which highlights only AFTER you bring the lever to it. I wonder if it’s some glitch or just me and my weird logic.

Speaking of which… Believe it or not, but I actually enjoyed navigating the sub and exploring the shipwreck. Solved this section in about 20 mins after I learned “the rules” - always try to move forward as long as you’re allowed, if not - turn right/left and then try moving forward again; if you arrive at a place of interest (indicated by a long swimming part or a short movie), then there must be something you can do there; and the red light was sensitive enough to spare the potential frustration of object hunting.

I found the 3D roaming pretty impressive - again, reminded my of Lost in Time. It’s no match for Archimedean Dynasty, of course, which was released same year and which was a truly epic truly 3D underwater experience, but as a mini-game I felt it was a nice addition. Not sure I’d want to repeat it though, one mission is enough, but I’m glad they didn’t end up like the devs of Space Quest 5 where a somewhat similar 3D grabbing mini-game was frustrating as hell - it happened in space, it was timed and the controls really sucked.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I guess I’m the only one who didn’t mind navigating the shipwreck.  I like the fact that the action moved the mini sub along to logical stopping points, so if there wasn’t anything useful, I could just reverse and go somewhere else.  I did forget where the controls for the remote arm were and spent a lot of time clicking around my little screen.  Of course, they were in a logical place.

I did remember that there were several things to do with the arm, but I had forgotten exactly what until I came across them.  The red indicator light was helpful for positioning, but where you had to use wasn’t intuitive.  A cursor with action gears would have been nice there.  (The original version of the game didn’t have the , so I’m glad they added it for 2.0.) 

The video of the mini sub going back inside the large one made me smile because it used those little side fins to back up and position itself.  It reminded me of a fat guppy.

I’m at the fortress now and managed to get the power on.  I do remember this part, so your reactions to it will be interesting.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just read your post, Doom, and I’m glad you liked navigating the wreck, too.  In situations like that, I enjoy the exploration just as much as solving the puzzles.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Okay finished the wreck and got the machine piece.
This part for me wasn’t as hard as getting the boat to move. It did take me a while to get a hang of the controls, but once I did, it was just a matter of navigating the maze. I think the video of the sub entering the hole was a big hint that there was something important there. Also like lady K mentioned, I did notice the light when there was something to interact with. So it was just a matter of navigating the maze and looking for the red light. I am now ready to go to the next destination. Probably start playing that part tomorrow if nothing comes up.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Ok, I arrived to the fortress. How will I know I have done everything I need to do there?

Seriously, I am fed up of switches, levers, valves, etc… Maybe I don’t have patience anymore, but I don’t feel like spending hours trying to figure out how everything works without any clue. The game really needed a sign or a sound that you have opened the portal at the dome….

And the puzzle box… I didn’t remember the order of the Playstation symbols, but as I am very clever (ahem), I thought “Well, there are four symbols and they can’t repeat, so if I try every combination I will solve it…” Who on earth designed this puzzle so you have to align the same symbols first, and IN THE END put them in the same orden you saw before? No comment…

I had no fun at all navigating the wreck. In fact, I ended playing a walktrough in Youtube and repeating every move. I usually don’t like mazes, but this one… Surely I will have nigtmares tonight. I liked the cinematics though.

I really hope the game recovers the spirit of the beginning of the game at the fortress and what is left, because I will continue playing just to see how the story ends, but not because I am enjoying the journey very much…

EDIT: Sorry about my tone, but I don’t remember getting so frustrated with an adventure game since Return to Ringworld…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top