• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 17 October 2020 01:09 PM

I found that I had to do something. even if was only turning to the left or right and back again for the scene to change.

I tried to find the right sequence of actions, but to no luck. It seemed very random to me. Must be a bug or something. Lucky me Frown

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I finally arrived to the volcano!

I like more the Fortress section. It was a bit tricky knowing when to build the wooden bridge, I thought it was when the monster went left, but no, it was otherwise. It was fun taking it down with the cannonball.

Flying with the ornitopher was beautiful.

And now, let’s finish this game!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ve been riding around in the volcano for a couple of hours.  This is one impressive train, with a winch on one end and a giant screw on the other.  One of the levers that lifts the train was difficult to see, mainly because it was next to another hot spot. Also, there’s a mechanism on a post that is hard to see at an intersection of several tracks.  As you’re traveling, if you get a red button in the lower left corner, you can stop and get out for an exterior view. 

I found Amanda but can’t rescue her yet, but I did manage to lift a gate that was blocking a track, and I got to use the umbrella I’ve been carting around this whole time.  By the way, if you come to that closed gate, back up and use the gray track switcher just before the two tracks join.  You’ll find our poor sweet girl down that side track. 

I also found a place the dark being took great pains to keep me from by using big boulders, but I cleared out the debris with an explosion.  Unfortunately, the door is still locked, so I’ll have to come back later.

I am now at the main steam power system and the map is here.  I’m taking a break because I remember some hair pulling in the next part.  More later.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sunday is basically “chore day.” Laundry, vacuuming, general house cleaning, et al. So I didn’t get a chance to play today. Tomorrow is catch up grocery shopping day. As well as the most important task ... deliver our mail-in ballots to the appropriate drop off point. Still, I hope to get in a few minutes. At least to get me off the landing point and into the action.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now finished the game but there was a gadget in inventory, a combination of 2 items, that I kept trying in places but never found a use for?

For the most part I enjoyed a lot of this last section particularly using the train to navigate the various tunnels which I spent some time on before peeking at a walkthrough for a little more help.

Lady Kestrel - 16 October 2020 06:55 PM

As you navigate the tunnels, be aware of the different colored steam pipes you see because different colors may need powering.

This is where I got stuck as I didn’t really pay enough attention & such got a little stuck on what valves etc to interact with & what they did.
This was also the case in the rock-smashing area using the magnet but I did find the controls very picky & had to keep repeating actions after the magnet had attracted a lump of ore to both move the magnet & then drop it.

I did find the whole idea of a baby being used in the rock-smashing process completely ridiculous!   Laughing

In the lava room I did work out how to get the mini-pod working but was at a loss as to what I was supposed to do with the retractable claw on descending - I didn’t notice the red arrows to start with & if I had wouldn’t have known which ones to interact with!

In all but the oldest version of the game, there is a map that can prove helpful to you, but you have to reach a certain location to find it.

That’s seems to be typical of a few puzzle games I’ve played where you ‘shut the stable door after the horse has bolted’!

Having the map earlier on would have for me enhanced the gameplay using it in conjunction with the compass rather than relying so much on walkthroughs to progress. 

I tried 3 different endings - the best one obviously capturing the dark being & rescuing the professor
Throwing the bottle into the sea didn’t seem like the ideal way to get rid of the dark being but it does leave the game open for a sequel if the being eventually escapes from the bottle - a few possibilities I thought of is that the bottle could smash somehow or be found via deep sea exploration or just simply wash up on a shore somewhere. The ideal permanent solution would have been to have left the bottle at the volcano.

I also tried letting the being escape through the portal before rescuing the professor which again could lead to a sequel? But curiously although the portal leads to Amanda’s bedroom the cut scene of the being shows it scuttling away through a cavern.

The third ending I tried was following the being through the portal & activating the portal in the lighthouse lab but the ‘dimensions’ were destroyed although there seemed to be time. This though did mean leaving the professor behind at the volcano so I failed anyway!

I’m looking forward to seeing if anyone’s found any other endings?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished today as well. We dropped our early voting ballots off at the post office, got some take-out for lunch. And then me and the WT sat down for a little over three hours, finished things off.

I agree with chrissie on several things. Of all places to hide the map, the penultimate scene was not the right one. If you want the player to make use of it, you don’t place it where it will be of zero usefulness.

I also wonder how many child labor laws were violated by placing Amanda in charge of smashing rocks.

FWIW, before I quit the game, I flew from the Fortress to the Temple. Wasn’t worth the effort. I was hoping Liryl might have something new to say. Something like she had rehabilitated the bird, and now they are best buds for eternity. But all she did was repeat what she said earlier.

I also question the “good ending” for two reasons. First, if you’re going to set it up as a timed ending, then do an action timed ending! I hate action sequences, but it made more sense than randomly pulling levers to activate the portal. Second, I agree with chrissie yet again. Throwing the bottle into the ocean has zero finality.

I disagree with the suggestion that the ending left options open for a sequel. This was the last adventure game that Sierra would produce that didn’t come from Jane Jensen or Roberta Williams. The well was running dry, and everyone knew it. If there was to be no sequel, put the bottle on the table before entering the portal. Poof! No more Dark Being.

After four years of nominations Lighthouse finally got its playthrough. And the only reason it got that was because Lady K offered to lead it. So, thank you very much for that. And, thank you to all the other players who voted for it. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. It didn’t exactly have the Wow factor it had when I first played it close to 25 years ago. But it still looked amazingly good for its age. And better than many games being produced today.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

You’re welcome, RT!

I just rescued Amanda.  It’s funny, but I was dreading the lava pit, but it wasn’t as difficult as I remembered, just fussy getting the arm positioned right.  Now if I remember correctly, I have to use the winch soon, but there’s also a place on the track somewhere I have to avoid.  (No hints, please!)  I’m going to tackle this tomorrow since the new season of The Voice is starting tonight.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Hope you enjoy it more than I. The Voice that is. Without a live audience, it just doesn’t have the appeal it did with one. Sue’s watching eagerly. I’m catching up on email.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 19 October 2020 08:16 AM

I’ve now finished the game but there was a gadget in inventory, a combination of 2 items, that I kept trying in places but never found a use for?

If I didn’t go back and fly the bird plane after the fact, there was the item I made in the foundry that was useless. Shoot us a screenshot of your inventory, and maybe the collective can figure it out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 16 October 2020 07:24 PM

I also remember that there is an activity that offers the possibility of death. I don’t know if later versions made death painless. I.e. you are immediately resurrected, and given a second chance, or whether it’s still a “restore from a saved game” - type death. We shall see.

I came across that & luckily I’d saved as there was no second chance.

rtrooney - 19 October 2020 06:40 PM

...I also wonder how many child labor laws were violated by placing Amanda in charge of smashing rocks.

The stupidity of the scene, for me, was nothing to do with that but with the idea that a baby that young could be trained to sit still never mind perform such a repetitive task?

Here’s the item I never found a use for (or maybe I did & I’ve just forgotten Gasp - also it’s made from 3 parts & not 2 )

N.B. Please anyone let me know if you think the pic’s a spoiler!

I forgot to ask whether anyone found a use for the umbrella being open?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s not a spoiler to me. I have several things left over. The thing you have is a replacement transformer to be used in case you blew out the original in the transporter puzzle. I still have mine too. I also have a metal bar that was a replacement gear in case you broke the original when powering up the fortress. (It would have made much more sense to use this rather than the umbrella when rescuing Amanda.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 20 October 2020 12:27 PM

The thing you have is a replacement transformer to be used in case you blew out the original in the transporter puzzle. I still have mine too. I also have a metal bar that was a replacement gear in case you broke the original when powering up the fortress.

Thank you!  Thumbs Up
I did use the metal bar as a replacement but was able to pick up another.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 20 October 2020 01:07 PM
rtrooney - 20 October 2020 12:27 PM

The thing you have is a replacement transformer to be used in case you blew out the original in the transporter puzzle. I still have mine too. I also have a metal bar that was a replacement gear in case you broke the original when powering up the fortress.

Thank you!  Thumbs Up
I did use the metal bar as a replacement but was able to pick up another.

This makes me wonder. If you were able to pick up another replacement bar after using the first, I wonder if a second set of transformer parts are available in the Temple underground if you are unlucky enough to blow up both the original and the first replacement. This would have been a major problem for me since I didn’t discover a way to activate the elevator until way after the part where I needed it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve fallen WAY behind on the playthrough, as all too often happens. A combination of more sports on TV again and the missus making some out-of-character excellent movie picks lately. Basically, if she wants to watch Kubrick’s The Shining, then my laptop closes for two-and-a-half hours. Tongue

Anyway, just reached the fortress.
I’m sincerely hoping that Liryl gets to fix the Birdman to his uncorrupted state, so she can have some company at the temple. The game makes her very likable but oh so lonely. I also hope she won’t be forgotten by the time the game ends.

I didn’t have all too much trouble getting the temple teleporter to work. Some here claim that there’s no indication when you get it right. I thought there was a minor powering up sound effect right after the entire machine powered down. It was enough to make me turn around and see the portal.
I did burn the upper part and had to replace it, though. Tongue

The submarine and the submersible on the other hand gave me a headache. Especially since the control room door closed on me when trying to turn on the sub with seemingly no way of opening it again apart from reloading an earlier save. This happened twice.

And in the submersible I had missed the hotspot that lowers the crane control panel and after moving for the first time, the game became stuck, with the lighthouse cursor flashing indefinitely and nothing responding until I reloaded an earlier save yet again.

Good thing I had *very* recent saves each time… Innocent

Navigating that wreck was a disaster as well. I eventually turned to a video walkthrough. Exploring every direction is one thing, but needing a completely different lever to rise up a level is something else entirely. I may never have found that particular solution without the walkthrough.

But, I got out of there eventually and am now ready to explore the fortress.
At least I enjoyed the crane puzzle back at Martin’s roost, and at least the Jules Verne-style aesthetic made the entire submarine section atmospheric.
But to say that I *enjoyed* that section would be a bridge too far. Tongue
Not my favourite part of the game thus far…

The rest will have to wait until tomorrow… Or later… I’m a horrible procrastinator. Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Tim,
There were two thin vertical switches at the front of the sub on the right hand side.  If you made them horizontal, the doors would lock, which could have been your problem there.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top