• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG’s Rock Community

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

It’s been a driving rhythm kind of day today, so no weird cover, just classic rock at it’s finest:

(By the way, if you suffer from motion sickness you might want to pop a Dramamine before watching this video)

Uriah Heep- Easy Living
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdLH9kiWf2E

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Uriah Heep! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

There are several bands that were/are favourites of mine, but that I didn’t really follow closely anymore these past years. For two of them I’ve rectified the situation this past month - and I regret doing so for one of them.

Rammstein had an amazing first three albums: Herzeleid, Sehnsucht and Mutter are all really superb. Mutter is arguably their best album - it’s definitely their most commercial - but frankly, all three of these are close together in quality.
After Mutter the quality started to decline. Reise, Reise had a couple of great songs, but for the first time also a couple of duds. Rosenrot took that decline further with more bad songs than good ones. And then they sort of dropped off my radar for a while.

I now got my hands on Liebe ist für alle da and on their ‘Best of’ Made in Germany 1995-2011. I really shouldn’t have bothered.
Liebe ist für alle da is filled with duds and has next to nothing to redeem it, and even their ‘best of’ album is focused on their later works, containing extremely little from either Herzeleid or Sehnsucht. Plus it has a completely sucky second disc filled with remixes of their songs that are somehow made worse by the bands that did them.
Liebe ist für alle da and Made in Germany are really disappointing albums, proving to me that Rammstein are over a decade past their expiration date. Whatever next they have in store, I’m not going to bother with it…

In Extremo on the other hand had no reason to drop off my radar since they had continued to be awesome. Heck, I don’t even know WHY I sorta stopped following them after Mein Rasend Herz, it’s not like I didn’t continue calling them one of my favourite bands…

At least I’ve made up for that: I got their “(K)ein Blick zurück” ‘best of’ album, and their Sængerkrieg and Sterneneisen albums.

Regarding (K)ein Blick zurück, I can be brief: THIS is how you make a ‘best of’ album!!!

(K)ein Blick zurück is made for both the existing fans and the new ones, since it’s a good compilation of their best songs, with two new ones, but above all: the old ones were re-recorded especially for this album, and several sound drastically different (closer to how they perform them live nowadays)! That means that even the old songs sound fresh. I wish more bands would take this approach to their ‘best of’s instead of just lumping a few songs together and releasing it with a minimum of effort.
The bonus CD consisting of covers made by other bands is great, too, especially because the other bands also made entirely different versions of the In Extremo songs. I particularly enjoy the changes between Singapur and Götz Alsmann’s version of it, as well as the completely different tone the lyrics to Spielmann get in the version on the bonus CD.

The studio album Sængerkrieg is imo their best work since Verehrt und angespien. In Extremo are at their best when they play traditional folk songs where the guitars are in support of the bagpipes and other medieval instruments (like in Villeman og magnhild and Herr Mannelig), or when they go for an up-tempo party (like in Spielmannsfluch or Küss mich). While they have forsaken most of the traditional songs in recent years, Sængerkrieg features a heck of a lot of really cool up-tempo songs (like Sieben Köche, the titular Sængerkrieg and especially Flaschenpost which is just awesome fun!). I also really enjoy their cover of Editors’ An End Has a Start, despite Das Letzte Einhorn’s mediocre English. Just like their This Corrosion cover (originally by Sisters of Mercy) on Verehrt und angespien, it’s practically better than the original. But then again, I just really like the combination of bagpipes and electric guitars… Grin

Sterneneisen on the other hand isn’t as great as Sængerkrieg, but it’s still a good album in its own regard. It just has fewer songs that truly stand out - something I’m not used to from In Extremo. Still, as long as there are no bad songs either, it’s all good…

They released a new album (Kunstraub) a few months ago. I got that one as well, but I haven’t listened to it yet. I’m kinda curious to find out how good it is. I’ll keep you posted… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

The older I get, the more I appreciate the rawness of Punk Rock.

The Ramones- Needles and Pins, live 1978
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_LWHTF3lhU

While watching and listening to that clip, it occurred to me out of the blue what a great duet pairing Chrissie Hind and Joey Ramone would have been.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

And now for something completely different:

Led Zeppelin- The Rain Song being played on a piano.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK4uSuzwKNw

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Lucien21 - 24 November 2013 06:41 AM
Sage - 24 November 2013 03:47 AM

All right Cats and Kittens, it’s time to put on your fringed vest, turn down the lights, and let the distorted guitars transport you to the dark side of New Orleans…

Frijid Pink- House of the Rising Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t40INnb6DnY

It’s weird that the most popular version of House of the Rising Sun was recorded by The Animals from Newcastle England.

Perhaps so, perhaps not.  Many of the “British Invasion” Rock & Roll bands of the ‘60s got their start playing covers of Blues songs from the US.  The Animals definitely put their own Delta Blues-influenced, powerful wailing spin on House of the Rising Sun, though, even going so far as to change some of the lyrics from the previous version(s).

As a comparison showing just how much The Animals made House of the Rising Sun their own, here’s Frankie Laine’s* version from 1959:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcjfJ4cBV8k

*For those not familiar with his work, Frankie Laine was a prolific recording artist who was considered the “go-to” guy for singing Western theme songs in the pre-Sergio Leone period.  He sang the themes for “Rawhide”, “3:10 to Yuma”, and “Blazing Saddles” among others.

In an interview, Mel Brooks said that he wanted to get Frankie Laine to sing the theme to “Blazing Saddles” from the start but assumed that they couldn’t afford him so Mr. Brooks placed an ad in Variety for “a Frankie Laine type to sing the theme for a Western film”.  Mr. Brooks was surprised and delighted when Mr. Laine himself showed up for the audition, and his fee turned out to be quite reasonable.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sage - 22 March 2014 02:49 AM

In an interview, Mel Brooks said that he wanted to get Frankie Laine to sing the theme to “Blazing Saddles” from the start but assumed that they couldn’t afford him so Mr. Brooks placed an ad in Variety for “a Frankie Laine type to sing the theme for a Western film”.  Mr. Brooks was surprised and delighted when Mr. Laine himself showed up for the audition, and his fee turned out to be quite reasonable.

Mel Brooks also said in an interview that Frankie Laine was so enthousiastic about the (serious interpretation of the) song that Mel Brooks didn’t have the heart to tell him the movie was a spoof comedy… Tongue

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I liked Joan Baez’s version of the “House of the Rising Sun” the best, probably because it was the first one I heard, but so many artists have recorded it over the years.

Since my husband died in January, I’ve been watching late night TV to keep my mind off things.  Billy Joel appeared on The Tonight Show Thursday night, and he and Jimmy Fallon made me smile with their version of The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

They also had fun with “You May Be Right” with Joel’s full band and Fallon being (appropriately) a singing lunatic.  I loved it!

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Have anyone been listening to Bombus? Great stuff.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

My all time fav rock band!

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Advie - 31 March 2014 10:57 PM

My all time fav rock band!

Of all time? Really? Operation Mindcrime sure is a nice record but it never goes beyond that in my book.  Smile

On the other hand there are to many brilliant bands to name just one for me. Although Opeth is undoubtedly one of them.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Henke - 05 April 2014 12:17 PM

On the other hand there are to many brilliant bands to name just one for me. Although Opeth is undoubtedly one of them.

Funny you should mention Opeth. Big Porcupine Tree fan myself… Wink

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Japan does Metal

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just realised this thread was here! I love such a variety of music but I’m surprised seeing the guitarist’s quiz (or I missed him?) that the great (possibly underrated? Rory Gallagher) wasn’t included! He is my favourite musician & I love just about everything he does but this is one of my favourites:

Rory

On the other extreme I just loved the Cajun music in Southern Comfort - this is my favourite: Parlez nous,..

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lucien21 - 05 April 2014 05:14 PM

Japan does Metal

It reminded me of the Spice Girls!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top