• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Modern times and design recycling

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

My national newspaper has a regular feature called Beautiful: a photo of a new product, available online or in brick-and-mortar stores, which apparently someone at the newspaper finds interesting. Here’s this week’s pic. A reed bench.

From the designer’s site: Reed is cut down in winter and bundled as furniture piece for summer. After the season the sheaves fall apart. Returned into nature, as compost for new willow and reed.

So what’s the price of this ugly bench which falls apart after one season? Guess. Naughty

1460 euros

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s some profit margin for a product with practically NO base material cost… Gasp

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 24 February 2013 06:54 AM

So what’s the price of this ugly bench which falls apart after one season? Guess. Naughty

1460 euros

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

To top it all, one who bought (was stupid enough to buy, that is) this unique bench ought to live in a constant fear of one of those reeds sticking where the sun doesn’t shine.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I like the design and idea, but the cost is insane. This should be a low-price mass-produce product, not something hoity toity that costs an arm and a leg.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 25 February 2013 05:19 AM

I like the design and idea, but the cost is insane. This should be a low-price mass-produce product, not something hoity toity that costs an arm and a leg.

You like the idea? The designer stole the idea from the traditional straw bale. You can get a straw bale for 3 or 4 euros. Use it as a garden bench and when it starts to decompose you can grow tomatoes and stuff in it. I’m not kidding you. Strawbalegardening! Cool

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

If people want to pay that much for some straw, why not? Of course the Netherlands is also the home of Piet Hein Eek, famous for his furniture made from wood that was used in other things before. A table from his hand easily does 4000 € while costing maybe 100 € in wood and labour. And look at this Kewlox cabinet: because his name is on there it’s about three times as expensive as a normal one! I think that’s brilliant and I hope to find a way to earn money that easily too somehow. If people want to pay ridiculous amounts for stuff please let them.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 04 March 2013 01:26 AM

If people want to pay that much for some straw, why not? Of course the Netherlands is also the home of Piet Hein Eek, famous for his furniture made from wood that was used in other things before. A table from his hand easily does 4000 € while costing maybe 100 € in wood and labour. And look at this Kewlox cabinet: because his name is on there it’s about three times as expensive as a normal one! I think that’s brilliant and I hope to find a way to earn money that easily too somehow. If people want to pay ridiculous amounts for stuff please let them.

Wow, those are some ugly things… Gasp

Who’d even want that???  Confused

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Fien - 25 February 2013 09:02 AM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 25 February 2013 05:19 AM

You like the idea? The designer stole the idea from the traditional straw bale. You can get a straw bale for 3 or 4 euros. Use it as a garden bench and when it starts to decompose you can grow tomatoes and stuff in it. I’m not kidding you. Strawbalegardening! Cool

I thought the design might have been inspired by reed boats- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_boat

Either way, your photo of straw bales just made me flash back to my childhood days spent playing in a barn’s hayloft.  Hay bales make awesome giant-sized building blocks for kids.  Just don’t mess around and break the twine bindings that hold them together or you’ll never hear the end of it!

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 212

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

And there I was, thinking how much I loathe wicker furniture, and then this guy comes along and can’t even be bothered to weave the bits of reed together.

For €1,460 I’d at least expect a bench with a back.

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Jatsie - 04 March 2013 11:56 AM

And there I was, thinking how much I loathe wicker furniture, and then this guy comes along and can’t even be bothered to weave the bits of reed together.

For €1,460 I’d at least expect a bench with a back.

Does your dislike of wicker furniture have anything to do with comedienne Fannie Flagg’s famous assertion that she could have been Miss Alabama if she hadn’t sat on a wicker chair while waiting for her turn in the swimsuit competition? Wink

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I thought the design might have been inspired by reed boats- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_boat

Those boats are beautiful and elegant! Unlike the reed bench.

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-02-03

PM

Welcome aboard the forums buddy..i hope you have a great time out here.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

(Yay non sequitur thread! Laughing)

I used to have one of those, but the insurance was un-be-liev-a-ble.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top