• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

do we all share the full need and privilege to be totally relaxed?..

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

..  thru adventure games?

I have been trigered by this question when I read Shawn Milles review (yesterday) of The Great Perhaps, and was kinda struck by how he had added deaths and the gameplaying style (relying on time travelling) into the game’s cons, and that esp. bc i know he is a Sierra die hard fan. But i had to play it myself to see what he means exactly, and i instantly figured out that he was right somehow, bc the game deaths are too tedious , in-modern (nor variable) and over the top,  even by the very old Sierra standards.

I was looking for something that can put the fear of death and failure while playing adventures like how i really enjoyed the early years of Sierra’s, and found only** frustration.

Yet i had to ask myself have i become more needing to be laid-back and relaxed thru adventures than how i Ever used to, or i just stumbled into the wrong game?.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Advie - 06 November 2019 09:38 PM

Yet i had to ask myself have i become more needing to be laid-back and relaxed thru adventures than how i Ever used to, or i just stumbled into the wrong game?

I don’t think “The Great Perhaps” is much like the early Sierra games.

As to whether your taste in games has changed after 20 or 30 years,
stranger things have happened,
but considering that the reviewer had the same reaction to it,
it’s probably that you “just stumbled into the wrong game”.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Few games have made quiet a nice balance - The Black Mirror 1, for example. It’s a classic, relaxed (well, a bit disturbing) game but in few instances you could die, but it’s not a big deal - it was there to bring the tension up a bit. I’m more of a LucasArts’ than old Sierra’s style in terms of “feeling relaxed”, but I would very welcome something ballsy like The Last Express was at the time. Or at least, few time-based puzzles to spice the things up, like in The Broken Sword.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2020-06-20

PM

It’s a shame that we’re a little late to the party. We’re new to this forum and would like to address certain things about The Great Perhaps. We absolutely agree with you that the gameplay is very far from perfect, especially in terms of all the sudden deaths and other things you and other players mentioned. We made a lot of mistakes while developing the game and the inexperience of our team prevented us from having playtests and gathering feedback early on in the development.

We were aiming for a trial and death approach, the way it works in games like “Limbo” and many others. Unfortunately, we lacked the experience necessary to make this mechanic and the controls enjoyable and not as frustrating as they turned out. Our fixation on the main gameplay feature also prevented us from focusing on other things as much as we’d like, such as exploring the characters a bit more and fleshing out the game’s universe. In the end, we simply lacked funding and time.

In our next project we decided to step away from this kind of mechanic, and focus on storytelling, worldbuilding and creating original mini-games. Also, we’re actively communicating with the community and seeking as much feedback as we possible can to avoid our initial mistake with TGP.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

caligari_games - 26 June 2020 07:42 AM

We’re new to this forum and would like to address certain things about The Great Perhaps. We absolutely agree with you that the gameplay is very far from perfect, especially in terms of all the sudden deaths and other things you and other players mentioned. We made a lot of mistakes while developing the game and the inexperience of our team prevented us from having playtests and gathering feedback early on in the development.

I thought the game looked interesting. Unfortunately, the Linux version is too broken [1] for me to play, so I had to ask for a refund. I may check again later, though.

[1] https://steamcommunity.com/app/1016930/discussions/0/1752394382345125523/

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2020-06-20

PM

eriktorbjorn - 30 June 2020 03:48 AM

I thought the game looked interesting. Unfortunately, the Linux version is too broken [1] for me to play, so I had to ask for a refund. I may check again later, though.

[1] https://steamcommunity.com/app/1016930/discussions/0/1752394382345125523/

We are aware of the Linux issue, and fixed it back in August 2019, among with many issues people had on other platforms (like the botanist bug, for example). Unfortunately, we can’t upload updates ourselves, and our publisher hasn’t released the update in a year for reasons beyond our control.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top