• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The games of 2019

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I think overall it was a pretty good year for adventures. There were some big games that got pushed back, that had they released on schedule, would have made this year insane. 2020 is looking pretty stacked in my opinion. With Beyond A Steel Sky, Roki, Beautiful Desolation, Twin Mirror, 3 Minutes To Midnight and (maybe?) Syberia: The World Before. Among others.

Here’s all the games I played this year, though, and how I felt about them.

Truberbrook - One of the biggest disappointments I can recall in recent memory. The graphics are so great it almost made playing this worthwhile but in the end not even gorgeous hand-crafted minatures could save this. The plot is half baked, the dialogue is awkward, VA is inconsistent and 90% of the puzzles solve themselves.

Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love - Awesome game. Surprisingly well made and polished for a dev I had never heard of before. Captures the classic comedy adventure “loveable loser” without falling into obnoxious territory. Which is commendable. Some of the soviet satire is too direct (especially in the 2nd major area) and it stumbles on a few puzzles. Still, on the whole a great game.

The Walking Dead: The Final Season - Weird game to think about. The story surrounding TTG’s closure and this games harrowing development seems inseparable from the game itself. Whatever can be said about TTG as a company, when it comes to this game and the team that made it, they stuck the landing. We got a satisfying conclusion to an all time great character’s story. I love this series and I’m glad that it went out on a high note.

Whispers Of A Machine - I liked this game a lot. It’s got some interesting gameplay ideas and a cool world going for it. However, the more I reflect on it, the more I think that WoaM didn’t take things quite far enough to be truly great. You see flashes of brilliance with the unique aug puzzles but there should be more of it (hard to do with so many different paths, I know). Also the relationship between Vera and her belated partner—which serves as the games’ emotional core—is pretty generic. Still, I had a really fun time playing through it so I can’t complain.

Guard Duty - Pretty mixed on the game overall. It’s got some fantastic pixel art and neat moments here and there but I was never all that engrossed in the story. Half of the voice cast is one dude and it’s noticeable, to state it gently.The connection between the fantasy and sci-fi worlds was a bit thin. I think the dev shows a lot of promise tbh but it didn’t quite come all the way together in this game.

Jenny Le Clue: Detectivu - Already mentioned this in a prior post but I absolutely loved this game. Awesome writing, amazing visuals, very likable characters and the puzzles (although simplistic) aren’t half bad either. Jenny Le Clue does a great job of playing out a murder mystery while simultaneously setting up a grander paranormal mystery along the way. It does recycle the same style of logic puzzles a few too many times, but hey, nobody’s perfect.

Life Is Strange 2 - Oh man. This fucking game. Sharpest series decline ever? I love the first Life Is Strange. I’ve probably played through it 5 or 6 times. I was so hyped for this game pre-release and after I played it? Disappointment doesn’t even begin to describe how I’ve felt. At this point, rounding the corner to episode 5, I’m not even mad anymore. I’m just laughing at the trainwreck. I won’t even get into specifics because I’d be writing this post all day. I just hope DontNod can get it together for Twin Mirror.

Draugen - It was okay. I, perhaps, expected a bit too much from Red Thread Games coming off of Dreamfall Chapters. Which I consider to be extremely under rated and a great game. This was kind of just a fun little time waster. Interesting enough introspective mystery plot, could have been more fleshed out. Gameplay was extremely light. By design of course but I found myself losing interest after a while. Not a terrible game but it’s no Dreamfall Chapters.

Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodō Ryūnosuke no Bōken - Technically this game came out in 2015. However the fully completed, and phenomenal, fan translation by Scarlet Study came out this year. This was my first opportunity to play the game so it’s a 2019 release to me. The game itself? Incredible. One of the best adventure games ever made and a glorious return to form for the series. Awesome new puzzle mechanics, deeper exploration, amazing characters, great writing, god tier music. This game seriously has it all and apparently the sequel is even better. All I can say is, Scarlet Study, I need that translation yesterday.

Little Misfortune - It’s a fun and funny (and surprisingly gross) light adventure. Gameplay wise it’s not nearly as substantial as Fran Bow but it tells an interesting enough story, looks fantastic and I really enjoyed the titular character. I wouldn’t want every one of KillMonday’s games to be like this going forward but I’m glad they made it.

Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure - If nothing else I’ve gatta love Gibbous for giving me that hand drawn, 2D traditionally animated style I love. Thankfully, on top of looking great, Gibbous is great to play as well. My only problem with it is the plot can come off a bit muddled due to its many mysterious antagonists working against you in ways that aren’t quite clear. Despite that Gibbous has the style and charm to make it a game that was well worth playing.

Notable 2019 adventures I haven’t played: Telling Lies, A.I The Somnium Files, Observation, Hypnospace Outlaw, Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders, Sumatra: Fate of Yandi, Heaven’s Vault,

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jenny Le Clue: Detectivu - Already mentioned this in a prior post but I absolutely loved this game. Awesome writing, amazing visuals, very likable characters and the puzzles (although simplistic) aren’t half bad either. Jenny Le Clue does a great job of playing out a murder mystery while simultaneously setting up a grander paranormal mystery along the way. It does recycle the same style of logic puzzles a few too many times, but hey, nobody’s perfect.

I loved this game too. For me one of the best I played this year. Should get some Aggie award nominations.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Just finished Jenny LeClue and agree it was one of the year’s best.

Along with Hypnospace Outlaw and Sumatra: Fate of Yandi, these games were my top three of the year and all were true labors of love. It’s going to be a hard choice for the aggies this year.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top