• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-01

PM

I just completed Thimbleweed Park today and absolutely loved it.

I really hope that Ron Gilbert’s new game will continue this lost lucasarts game style.

I also think its really interesting just how different Tim and Rob’s approaches were with making a new lucasarts-style point and click game.

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

nomafiahere - 05 June 2020 10:45 PM

I just completed Thimbleweed Park today and absolutely loved it.

I really hope that Ron Gilbert’s new game will continue this lost lucasarts game style.

I also think its really interesting just how different Tim and Rob’s approaches were with making a new lucasarts-style point and click game.

I tried multiple times to get into thimbleweed park, it just did not connect with me on any level. Im glad others love it though

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jdawg445 - 07 June 2020 05:40 PM

I tried multiple times to get into thimbleweed park, it just did not connect with me on any level. Im glad others love it though

same with me, i think the reason is when you know the devs and played there previous games you always have some sorta expectations of how the gameplaying would be like, therefore the vast exploration and tedious backtracking (which strangely i appreciate) were a surprise for me and turned me off somehow, but i am on another try soon enough without any expectation, maybe that would be the key next time.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Advie - 08 June 2020 12:57 PM

same with me, i think the reason is when you know the devs and played there previous games you always have some sorta expectations of how the gameplaying would be like, therefore the vast exploration and tedious backtracking (which strangely i appreciate) were a surprise for me and turned me off somehow, but i am on another try soon enough without any expectation, maybe that would be the key next time.

Maybe there is something to this idea because this was the first game by Ron Gilbert that I have beaten.  I played a few others for a minute but didn’t make any substantial progress.

I will admit, I almost gave up when I understood how many characters I had to juggle.

Total Posts: 1620

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 08 June 2020 12:57 PM

Yeah didnt like all the character switching;that is also why i didnt like the game resonance, it becomes so teadious.

Also i didnt like any of the characters at all, i found them all extremely unlikeable. The story seemed like a poor mans version of twin peaks. So like i said didnt work for me on any level. But im also in the minority that monkey island 2 is the worst game of the original 3. The third game is actually my favorite in that series.

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2005-07-01

PM

Just finished Broken Sword 3, not nearly as good as 1 or 2 and I didn’t care for the controls. I also didn’t care for all the crate pushing and stealth segments. However, besides those few complaints, I enjoyed the majority of the game.

“When government surveillance and intimidation is called “freedom from terrorism” or “liberation from crime”, freedom and liberty have become words without meanings.”
~ Chad Dumier, “Deus Ex”

The Adventure Game Enthusiast

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I finished disco elysium and… It’s a masterpiece of a game. The rpg style might turn some people off.. but it’s a layered well designed adventure. It has equipment and stats, but all of it relates to your ability to solves problems within the story. There is no combat system. There’s all kinds of neat little things in the story that leave me thinking “well if I didn’t do this this or this, what wouldv happened.” It’s definitely the sort of game I wish I could play for the first time again. Some of my favorite moments: Failing an authority check when meeting acele and absolutely losing it about the hat. Failed checks are actually an important part of enjoying this game. The reveal of the pale was quite brilliant. Throughout the game I sometimes saw the word and didn’t know what they were talking about exactly.. and then I finally got the reveal from Joyce towards the end.. and it’s like there’s this huge important fact of this world that was right there the whole time. It was very smart to leave that to the end, because the game feels like our world and if they started with “it’s covered in pale” it wouldn’t have. And then tying that plot into the church felt perfect too. And definitely one of the very best moments for me was discovering the phasmid. I did the whole quest, I laid it thick with the spray, and I even kept going back to check the traps thinking “oh well I’ll never find anything.” The surreal timing of it’s arrival was perfect.. as were the skill check bonuses I got for following the quest. Very memorable moments.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

After Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc completely wrecked my will to play games over a year ago, it took me quite a while to get back into it.

Disco Elysium is what finally drew me back in. It’s absolutely fantastic with exceptional writing, and it feels as fresh as Return of the Obra Dinn did last year. Which probably means we won’t be seeing anything like it ever again. Tongue
I mostly played as a highly intelligent but boring sorry-cop, as that felt most natural to my playing style. And it’s amazing that failing checks often yields funnier results than actually passing them does. My kind of game, even though the ending didn’t *fully* satisfy me…
Disco Elysium - 4.5/5

After that, I finally played the game that *almost* made me buy a PS3 just for that game alone 10 years ago: Heavy Rain.
The game is mostly good. The writing feels a bit dated, and some of the QTE’s are bordering on ‘tedious’ (like shaking a bottle of orange juice before drinking it - was that really necessary?), but the action sequences are pretty intense, especially if you fuck up some of the prompts.
I tended to replay chapters where I messed up too badly / got killed so I would get the ending that *I* wanted on my first run, picking the “good” option always (because, well, I like playing the good guy). As Ethan, I completed all but one of the trials (I’m not a killer), Madison seems like the ultimate action survivor in my game, as Scott I pulled a John Wick on the mob boss’s mansion, but I missed one clue that caused Jayden to miss the warehouse location - despite correctly doing the QTE that should have given me that clue according to the walkthrough I checked afterwards (I distinctly remember winning that QTE and hearing the jacket rip, so I *should* have had the gas station ticket). Fortunately the game allowed me to get everyone at the endgame together, which made for a satisfying run.
The big plot twist is a bit of a stretch, but I went with it for the sake of drama. And the game did manage to punch me in the gut twice. Including once after merely 20 minutes of play. Let’s just say that, as a father, seeing kids die in fiction gets to me…
Heavy Rain - 3.5/5

And then I played Murder By Numbers because of a Picross / nonogram addiction I’ve had for the last year. Seriously, I’ve completed 1200+ puzzles on nonograms.org, so a visual novel with nonograms at its core? Sign me up!
The game was fun, with colourful characters, and the occasional good chuckle. The cases were interesting, and the robot sidekick was actually a nice addition. It all felt like “Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Light”, which I’m very much ok with.
Alas, the nonograms in this game don’t really result in good drawings (just random outlines which then get coloured in and finally show an actual meaningful picture). The puzzles itself should have been a bit more rewarding in that way, other than just advancing the plot. This made solving them less satisfying than it should have, and even *I* started to find them repetitive near the end.
Nonetheless, I still had fun with this game.
Murder By Numbers - 3.5/5

And now I’m contemplating what to play next. I might give Danganronpa a second chance, but I fear I may not get into it on the second attempt either…

It’s a weird feeling, though. I’ve got this massive catalogue of possible games that I can play, yet there’s very little of them that I’m actually in the mood for…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

TimovieMan - 22 June 2020 04:14 PM

It’s a weird feeling, though. I’ve got this massive catalogue of possible games that I can play, yet there’s very little of them that I’m actually in the mood for…

I’m exactly at that place myself. Since replaying the Broken Sword series a few weeks ago I can’t bring myself to play anything new. Started up the Saint Kotar demo a couple of days ago but will probably not finish it. Beautiful Desolation sits installed on my HD but I can’t find the enthusiasm to continue that game either. Just installed 428 Shibuya Scramble but can’t find the energy to play it. Etc.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Immediately after writing the post above, I started up Shibuya Scramble. I’m glad I did!:)

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 22 June 2020 04:14 PM

...And then I played Murder By Numbers because of a Picross / nonogram addiction I’ve had for the last year. Seriously, I’ve completed 1200+ puzzles on nonograms.org, so a visual novel with nonograms at its core? Sign me up!
The game was fun, with colourful characters, and the occasional good chuckle. The cases were interesting, and the robot sidekick was actually a nice addition. It all felt like “Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Light”, which I’m very much ok with.
Alas, the nonograms in this game don’t really result in good drawings (just random outlines which then get coloured in and finally show an actual meaningful picture). The puzzles itself should have been a bit more rewarding in that way, other than just advancing the plot. This made solving them less satisfying than it should have, and even *I* started to find them repetitive near the end.
Nonetheless, I still had fun with this game.
Murder By Numbers - 3.5/5

Hi TimovieMan, glad to see you here!  Thumbs Up
I got very hooked on this game but would you call it an adventure game? As much as I liked it I wouldn’t - to me it’s a puzzle game with annoying things like characters, story, plot etc constantly interfering with my puzzling!  Laughing

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-21

PM

I not long completed The Complex

Was a bit shorter than I have come to expect from Wales Interactive releases but I felt the story was captivating enough to keep my interest and somewhat topical given the world’s current climate.

There were liberal amounts of hammy over-acting and odd presentation but that kind of adds to the charm for me.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 23 June 2020 12:51 PM

I got very hooked on this game but would you call it an adventure game? As much as I liked it I wouldn’t - to me it’s a puzzle game with annoying things like characters, story, plot etc constantly interfering with my puzzling!  Laughing

It reminded me a lot of the Phoenix Wright games in terms of the non-puzzle aspect, but easier.
And the puzzles were just nonograms. Lots and lots of nonograms. Grin

So yeah, whatever you want to call it, visual novel with puzzles or whatever, it falls squarely into my definition of an adventure game. Tongue

If you just want the puzzles, I recommend nonograms.org Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

TimovieMan - 24 June 2020 06:45 AM
chrissie - 23 June 2020 12:51 PM

It reminded me a lot of the Phoenix Wright games in terms of the non-puzzle aspect, but easier.
And the puzzles were just nonograms. Lots and lots of nonograms. Grin

So yeah, whatever you want to call it, visual novel with puzzles or whatever, it falls squarely into my definition of an adventure game. Tongue

If you just want the puzzles, I recommend nonograms.org Wink

Thanks for the recommendation Tim but I know immediately that I don’t want to access a puzzle site so I guess to enjoy the puzzles I do need those annoying things like characters, story, plot etc that give some meaning/excuse to spend time on them!  Laughing
There was a lot of story for sure but on balance it seemed there were more puzzles (albeit just the one type) so hence my query as to whether it qualifies as an AG - I think I’ve just answered my own question!  Smile 

I haven’t played any Phoenix Wright games but you’ve piqued my interest.  Smile

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

chrissie - 24 June 2020 08:36 AM

Thanks for the recommendation Tim but I know immediately that I don’t want to access a puzzle site so I guess to enjoy the puzzles I do need those annoying things like characters, story, plot etc that give some meaning/excuse to spend time on them!  Laughing

The ones on nonograms.org result in an actual picture, instead of the semi-random dots from Murder by Numbers. That gives some meaning/excuse in itself… Tongue

I haven’t played any Phoenix Wright games but you’ve piqued my interest.  Smile

The first and third game in the Phoenix Wright series are in my all-time top 20!  Cool
The series is also bloody hilarious. Grin

Fun fact: the composer from Murder By Numbers also did the music for the Phoenix Wright games. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top