• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 06 August 2019 09:43 AM

Obra Dinn was really good, although I did not completely understand why some of the people onboard acted the way they did. For example, why did the Swedish guy (the captain’s steward) chop the leg off that other crew member? Because he knew something about the “monster thingies” that the rest didn’t? I noticed that he was there to see Nichols bring the things to the ship, but what happended then that made him attack one of the men who had carried one of the monsters towards the lazarette? Or did he do it in order to be locked in with the “things”? If so; WHY?

It’s one of the few unsatisfying scenes for me, but I guess Dahl wanted to set the mermaids free and found Naples in his way. You can see him running in the direction of the lazarette when they are carrying the mermaids down the stairs and the cook gets killed. He told the captain “throw them back or doom us all!”, which was of course very sensible advice.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 06 August 2019 12:13 PM
Veovis - 06 August 2019 09:43 AM

Obra Dinn was really good, although I did not completely understand why some of the people onboard acted the way they did. For example, why did the Swedish guy (the captain’s steward) chop the leg off that other crew member? Because he knew something about the “monster thingies” that the rest didn’t? I noticed that he was there to see Nichols bring the things to the ship, but what happended then that made him attack one of the men who had carried one of the monsters towards the lazarette? Or did he do it in order to be locked in with the “things”? If so; WHY?

It’s one of the few unsatisfying scenes for me, but I guess Dahl wanted to set the mermaids free and found Naples in his way. You can see him running in the direction of the lazarette when they are carrying the mermaids down the stairs and the cook gets killed. He told the captain “throw them back or doom us all!”, which was of course very sensible advice.

Yeah, that seems to make the most sense. I did notice Dahl in that other scene, running toward the lazarette, but it’s a bit odd that only he among all those supposedly superstitious seamen reacted the way he did. But maybe that is explained by the fact that he was one of the few who were at the scene of Nichol’s return with the lifeboats and witnessed what was brought onboard. Well well, terrific game and one I will return to soon.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Just finished The Town of Light, a walking simulator kind of game set in the remains of an italian asylum where the mentally ill were treated in ways that were supposedly standard around the time between WW1 and WW2. Once the fun of roaming around the building and its exterior wears off there’s little left to draw you in. Not bad but pretty forgettable.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I just finished Eastshade, or The Adventures of the Eastshade Candle Thief, and enjoyed it enough that I didn’t want it to end. As was said before, it is a comfortable game, not much angst or excitement about it but not every game needs that. My least favorite parts included a certain amount of mouse dexterity but not enough to really impact my enjoyment. i got frustrated at one point because it seemed ludicrous that the raft required sealant and the reed boat did not. Seems to me it should be the other way around because the bloomsacs don’t need sealant to provide flotation. There were a few minor glitches but not so much that I couldn’t recover. For me the game would rate 4/5.

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2018-01-10

PM

furgotten - 09 August 2019 02:44 PM

I just finished Eastshade, or The Adventures of the Eastshade Candle Thief, and enjoyed it enough that I didn’t want it to end. As was said before, it is a comfortable game, not much angst or excitement about it but not every game needs that. My least favorite parts included a certain amount of mouse dexterity but not enough to really impact my enjoyment. i got frustrated at one point because it seemed ludicrous that the raft required sealant and the reed boat did not. Seems to me it should be the other way around because the bloomsacs don’t need sealant to provide flotation. There were a few minor glitches but not so much that I couldn’t recover. For me the game would rate 4/5.

If the bloomsacs are airtight how would the bees get to the pollen? I always thought of the sealant as binding the bloomsacs together, not to seal the air in. If the reeds were already floating ones, then they just need to be tied together with a rope.

Anyway, you must admit it’s an odd criticism considering we’re talking about a game with giant bears and monkeys who live together, build large cities and talk

Beautiful game anyhow.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

Grue22 - 09 August 2019 05:36 PM
furgotten - 09 August 2019 02:44 PM

If the bloomsacs are airtight how would the bees get to the pollen? I always thought of the sealant as binding the bloomsacs together, not to seal the air in. If the reeds were already floating ones, then they just need to be tied together with a rope.

Anyway, you must admit it’s an odd criticism considering we’re talking about a game with giant bears and monkeys who live together, build large cities and talk

Beautiful game anyhow.

I assumed that the bloomsac plants were pollinated and the bloomsacs were the result of that pollination. They grow larger and larger until they, and the seeds, are ripe and then they burst. I envision masses of tourists descending on Eastshade in the fall to watch the mass bloomsac explosions.

Your reed theory would work if they swelled in contact with water so became somewhat watertight. You would then have a floating, if soggy, boat. Otherwise some sealant would be needed.

Oddly I had no trouble with talking bears, owls and monkeys; maybe because I wish they would.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Just finished The Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of a Comet (1993). Sheesh!! Talking about a difficult game… I rarely resort to walkthroughs, but I certainly wouldn’t finish it without it. Certain puzzles are so obscure that I still don’t believe the solution; and the maze… The maze!
I think this might be one of the most difficult classic adventure games (quests, dialogues and inventory puzzles only)I’ve ever played. And certainly the one that tries to kill you off the most.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I think I finished The book of Unwritten Tales recently. It’s the blandest game I’ve played in a long while, and I can’t believe it won a reader’s choice Aggie at some point.
I didn’t care for the characters or the story or the puzzles, not that they were bad per se, just not at all interesting to me.

I also finished The Norwood Suite, which didn’t really clicked with me. There are some interesting stuff, I guess, and the Lynch vide that sold me the game is neat, but the story itself isn’t really engaging, at least the part of the story that I understood. And there aren’t any challenge puzzle-wise, so as a game is didn’t impress me either.

Then there’s Unforseen Incident, which I really wanted to love, but ended up just liking. It’s a good game, with a solid story, good production values and some challenging puzzles, but nothing really made it stand out for me, and I know I will soon forget about it.

So yeah, not a good streak.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I’ve finished The Dream Machine, which I found outstanding. I had no idea I would like it this much, it had been sleeping in a folder somewhere for a really long time and I had almost forgotten about it, now I regret not playing it sooner. I loved the aesthetics, the melancholic mood, how the music increased it, the subtle creep factor that made me feel just unconfortable enough (and was, yes, quite gore-ish at times but never outright scary), how the puzzles were varied and seamlessely weaved into the story, how oneiric it actually felt, how well it described the characters through their fears and memories and scenarios of reference without being too heavy-handed (a few exceptions aside), what a beautiful game! I’m note sure how I feel about the ending, it saddened me that Victor, after his character development arc bringing him to adulthood and readiness to become a father, ended up in the same place he started in, although I can see the bittersweet irony.

I also played Sumatra: Fate of Yandi, which was excellent. I played through it in one sitting. Short, but worth the price. Reminded me how linear puzzles are not necessarily a bad thing when done well.  It had the right balance between comedy and seriousness, puzzles were neither too hard nor too obvious and none of them were convoluted, everything made sense and told a beautiful story. Loved the setting and found the characters very sweet. Good pixel art, too, you would think a jungle would get boring fast but no, it felt good to be exploring it. Messages about the environment may seem a bit ham-fisted to some players, but frankly considering the current situation it’s not overdone. I hope the game does well and the developers are rewarded - I don’t know in terms of sales, but so far all of the reviews I’ve seen were laudatory, which is well deserved.

So, unlike Ninth, I seem to be on a good streak lately (best of luck for your next games Smile)

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

NickyLarson,  I loved The Dream Machine too and agree with your observations.  It’s on my list of favorite games.  “Oneiric” (dreamlike) is a wonderful word and a very apt description - had to look it up! Smile

As far as the ending: I think he’s still alive and perhaps his grown son or someone else could possibly find a way out for him by doing battle with the machine again.  I hope so anyway.  I’d love them to do a sequel.

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I hadn’t thought of that! A sequel with Victor’s child would be a wonderful idea. I’m glad you loved it as much as I did Grin

I haven’t seen anything by the developers since, I hope The Dream Machine did well enough that they can keep working on new games, if that’s what they both want of course - well, it’s only been two years, but I would love to see an announcement or a teaser for a next project. Whatever it is, I’ll be sure to follow it closely.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I finished Whisper of a Machine.

I liked it a lot, but still I’m a bit disappointed, mostly I guess because it felt too short.
The idea of having three different ways of behaving with people that led to three different sets of abilities is nice, but in the end an adventure game, and especially a classic one like WoaM, is all about embarking the player in a story, and in that respect the different sets of abilities felt more like a (neat) gimmick than a meaningful addition to the game. I have fast clicked through it to try out another path, and didn’t feel like it gave me more insight on the story or characters of settings.
Overall I’m sure I would have been much more satisfied with the game if it had a few more days and a few more murders to investigate.

As it stands it’s still a very good game, better than Kathy Rain (which I also liked) IMO, and I especially liked the investigative features, although I wished they would have been used a bit more (especially the scanner and bio-thingy), and not exclusively in the crime scenes.
It’s on par with the Backwell game, and a very welcomed addition to the classical AGs panel.

I would rate it 4/5

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I finished Inside last night. I remember it back when it came out but was unaware that it was the same developers that made Limbo so I didn’t think much of it. Well, when the Epic store offered it for free recently I decided to give it a go. I really like the graphic style and the side scrolling platforming is reminiscence of Limbo. If you have never played it I highly recommend it. A very interesting game and that last chapter is really something… different!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Finished Her Story.

I can’t say I didn’t like it, in fact I liked it and it made quite an impression, but in the end I felt dissatisfied with it as a game. That’s probably because there’s only one gameplay mechanic, because of what I felt was a total lack of reward, and I guess also because I feel like I stumbled upon the whole story about halfway through and the second half of my playthrough didn’t really add much interesting info.
Also, I had to cheat to get all the clips at the end, and felt that some were almost impossible to find. Not to mention that I didn’t get the rule about the double quotes ( ” ), which I found badly explained (but that may be my limited grasp of english and not the game’s fault).

So yeah, I will definitely but Telling Lies because I enjoy these investigative games that let you figure things out without the usual guidelines and I also like the format, but something Karlok said in another thread about Barlow having difficulties to put himself in a player’s shoes (sorry if I’m paraphrasing) really resonated with my experience of this game.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Two finished games this week :

Firewatch

I just loved it, loved the atmosphere, the exploration, the dialogs, the immersion.

A few minor gripes, though. I felt like the thriller/conspiracy aspect of the story was a bit over-the-top, that the second part of the game was a bit rushed, and overall that the game was too short.

Paradigm

I really had to make myself finish it.
It’s not that there was anything bad per se, just that it never got my interest.

I couldn’t make myself care about the hero or the story, the puzzles weren’t really a challenge, the humour made me smile a few times but overall left me unfazed, the graphics are crisp but look too clinical/lifeless for my taste…
I had a few “wow, that’s clever” moments, but they weren’t enough to offset the global feeling of boredom.
And the interface was clumsy as hell.
It was pretty short, but in my case blessedly so.

So not for me at all. And even trying to set my own preferences aside, I must say I feel like it doesn’t deserve the perfect score it got on this site. As a matter of fact, this score (and the review) mislaid me, and I’m guessing it could mislay others.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top