• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nighthawks - New Wadjet Eye Game - Kickstarter

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

New game from Wadjet Eye - looks pretty different to what we’re used to.

It’s written/designed by Richard Cobbett, who many will know from his freelance journalism (RPS, PC Gamer) and his game writing work on Sunless Sea, Sunless Skies and The Long Journey Home.

It’s billed as an RPG but looks a bit more like a choose your own adventure from the video above to me. Time will tell I guess.

Anyway, as a fully paid up Wadjet Eye fanboy I have backed the Kickstarter based really on the good name of Mr. Gilbert and having enjoyed Richard Cobbett’s writing style previously. Is it a gamble? Yes I think it is, but the Wadjet Eye track record speaks for itself for me, so a cautiously optimistic gamble!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/description

Anyone else in?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I backed the second i saw an email about it in my inbox. And i debated it with myself whether to post about it here or in general. I agree that it belongs in adventure for a couple reasons: wadjet eye is synonymous with adventure and therefore relevant for adventure news.  The sunless sea is one of the best interactive fiction hybrid experiences i have had in recent memory. I absolutely consider it to be an adventure game.. and then by the same vein this promises to be the same sort of game. RPG mechanics are the icing on a giant interactive fiction cake. To make it even sweeter they list their inspiration as bloodlines.. a very special game. So yes i 100% support it and hope they get everything they want to make it.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I like most about it except the art style. Still backed it because of the Vampire Bloodlines reference.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ll buy the IOS version when released. I also don’t see an RPG here at all. I think that is just for Marketing. It looks exactly like a Visual Novel.

Anyway, to me a VN about vampires is a great idea, so I’ll “bite” .

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2018-09-06

PM

The art is very… static.
Wonder if they will add face animations later or something like that. It’s kinda weird to hear a characters voice without any change in facial expressions.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Demo now available for download! I checked it out, love the art and atmosphere. Let’s make this baby happen!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/753131002/nighthawks-the-vampire-rpg-0/posts/2299140?ref=backer_project_update

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Can’t say I was terribly impressed. While trailers generally try to highlight the best a game has to offer, if this was the best the game has to offer, it’s not a game I think I would enjoy.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Intense Degree - 10 September 2018 05:55 AM

It’s billed as an RPG but looks a bit more like a choose your own adventure from the video above to me. Time will tell I guess.

Didn’t Wadjet Eye claim Unavowed was an RPG at one point? And all that meant was that you had some control over what type of character you played and how they behaved.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

crabapple - 28 September 2018 10:11 PM
Intense Degree - 10 September 2018 05:55 AM

Didn’t Wadjet Eye claim Unavowed was an RPG at one point? And all that meant was that you had some control over what type of character you played and how they behaved.

No i dont think so. I remember the earliest news about unavowed being that it was a point and click adventure where you selected the gender of a protagonist who you speak for. I saw screenshots of different protagonists here in this forum. This was before shardlight came out.
Anyway, this is being made with one of the writers from sunless sea. If youve thoroughly played that game then you know the magical things that were accomplished with the writing that built large sprawling quests and stories. Its very silly to judge it based on a trailer which has the sole purpose of increasing hype by concept.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

zane - 29 September 2018 09:44 AM

No i dont think so. I remember the earliest news about unavowed being that it was a point and click adventure where you selected the gender of a protagonist who you speak for. I saw screenshots of different protagonists here in this forum. This was before shardlight came out.

I was probably thinking of articles like this
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/28/unavowed-rpg-adventure/

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yeah I agree, Wadjet Eye never marketed it as an RPG to my knowledge.

However, as that whole Bioware Jennifer Hepler thing was an influence and, to some extent, a pretty similar idea I think a few sites were throwing the term RPG around in connection with Unavowed.

I am fairly sure I have seen Dave Gilbert say that it isn’t an RPG but an AG somewhere, but I can’t find it for the life of me now.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I like it. Something different for these guys and I hope it sells well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

They’ve done well but pledges have been pretty stagnant the last week. I’m not the audience by design really (I don’t think I could sit through a multiple-choice simulator), but may throw in a few dollars before the end.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Let’s be honest here - this would get zero attention if “Wadjet Eye” was not attached to the name.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oscar - 29 September 2018 07:47 PM

Let’s be honest here - this would get zero attention if “Wadjet Eye” was not attached to the name.

Sunless sea has at least about the same audience size.(really larger) Probably a significant amount of the backers are there for the vampire/bloodlines reference and dont know what an adventure game or wadjet eye is.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

zane - 29 September 2018 07:55 PM
Oscar - 29 September 2018 07:47 PM

Sunless sea has at least about the same audience size.(really larger) Probably a significant amount of the backers are there for the vampire/bloodlines reference and dont know what an adventure game or wadjet eye is.

So what you’re saying is, this kickstarter is just a hype machine based on popular franchises and company names?

Because I can’t imagine it’s the look of the actual game that’s attracted anyone. There are dozens of similar cheap interactive novels released every month.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top