• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Get-together 2013 - Germany

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

This thread here is for planning the AG get-together 2013 here in Germany. It is planned for the 2nd half of the year, and a specific date shall be determin herewithin. The planned location shall be in the Felsenmeer in the Odenwald south of Darmstadt (which itself is about 20 km south of Frankfurt am Main), with some nice food in the restaurant at the location.

The dates we determined as options are as follows:

09.08-11.08
23.08-25.08
30.08-01-09
06.09-08-09
(13.09-15-09)
(20.09-22.09)

I will look up some nice hotels of different price categories in the are too, soon.

The Odenwald has some really nice locations to visit all over, with several castles and other things to visit apart from the Felsenmeer. So there’s lots to do over the weekend. If you want I can also join you, or you can go exploring yourself.

I’m looking forward to seeing as many of you as possible again on this occasion. Smile

Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

EDIT: I posted some info on lodgings below.  See here

- “esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!” Dennis added, and the wizard’s robe caught on fire. “Gosh,” Dennis said, “and some people say higher math isn’t relevant.”

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’d love to join, but it’d almost have to be on the very first weekend (9-11/08) because it’ll otherwise be difficult with an 8-month pregnant TimovieWife.
And even for that first weekend it’s doubtful - we’ll have to wait and see how the pregnancy evolves…

In other words: I’m on hold for the moment…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

I will check with Mrs Urhan if there is something I’ve agreed to on those dates that I’ve forgotten about. Subject to that, I am very much up for this.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

Checked with Mrs Urhan and we are pretty clear for those dates at the moment. Having met some of you Mrs Urhan herself is also considering coming.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

The fourth degree is due on 25 August and therefore that really rules us out for August/September. I’ll be sorry to miss it though as i’m sure it will be a great time.

At the next one we’ll have to get some kind of creche together by the sound of it to indoctrinate our young into the ways of the adventure game!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

Okay, I’ve started picking out a few hotels in the immediate vicinity, as well as a bit more distant. The closer ones are mostly in the Odenwald are, which is a big forested area with many smalle cities and villages, as well as several castles to visit. I would especially recommend at least a trip to the town of Lindenfels, which is wonderful by itself, but also home to a castle of the same name. They are also home to the German dragon museum.

Some other places are in Darmstadt, which is just north of the Odenwald area, and about 20 km away from Frankfurt am Main (and the airport).

I’ve tried to find a good mix of price ranges, from hostels over small hotels, and maybe a bigger one that costs a medium price. The really expensive ones are at the airport and in Frankfurt, mostly, so if there’s any demand for them, I can look some of them up too.

First, the ones in the Odenwald:

Hotel Wiesengrund (through Google Translate) - Especially interesting for their short trip offers (Click the image saying “Aktuelle Hotel Angebote” in the bottom right). It’s near Lindenfels, and the offers seem to be nice. Several different offers available. (note that Google tried to translate the address. It should be “Lindenfels-Winkel”, not “Lindenfels-Angle”.) I’d say this is a standard Hotel Price, not really cheap, not really expensive.

Then there’s Gasthaus Felsenmeer - This one is a low price hotel, which offers standard amenities, but nothing unneeded (no pool or something like that. It is a nice place to stay if you just want to see the area. Breakfast available with all stays.). It might be a bit harder to reach, due to the area being the Odenwald (it’s a 40 minute walk to the Felsenmee from there, but I haven’t quite figured out the Odenwald transit system yet. There might be a better way Smile What I *do* know, that there’s an On-call bus service, which is way cheaper than taxis as far as I know.).

Another low price one, Gasthaus Bergfriede - also nice looking, but likely the same transportation limits apply (still, the Odenwald people get around too, so I suppose it works. I’ll post a link to the Odenwald transit page below).

Another medium price hotel would be the Landgasthof Waldschlösschen - They are on the outside border of Linenfels, so I guess it’s easy to reach that town. Lindenfels is about 12 kms from Reichenach, which is the Town that the Felsenmeer is located at.

Hotels in Darmstadt and Frankfurt are pretty easy. It’s actually easiest just to look through Google Hotel Search or any hotel search machine, as the traffic system in Darmstadt is great. The city is not too huge, and from most places you could basically walk to the main train station (and people can easily point you there. It’s at the far western border of town, so not much searching). Of course, walking will take a bit longer, but it’s harder to get lost, for the most part. Frankfurt is bigger, but still the transport system is very good. But it’s also easier to get lost, as the train station is pretty much in the middle (and I’ve gotten lost with my car, as they insist on writing “Connection West” or “Connection South” on their signs to point to the Autobahn. Why can’t they just write the number of the Autobahn?! That would help a lot more.). Still the transit system is *very* good, and you’re rarely too far from any kind of station (be it bus/Tram, S-Bahn, or Underground), so you can always check the plans there. And of course the locals can somehow help too.

Also, there’s Youth Hostels in Darmstadt and Frankfurt, as well as near the Odenwald (but I’d select one in the bigger towns, as the one in Burg Breuberg is usually booked out [it’s awesome, due to being the Burg itself], and at the other side of the Odenwald area). Here’s the local Hostel site: Jugendherberge Hessen

And last but not least, here’s the page of the Odenwald transit system. I’ll look into this one a bit more later, so hopefully I can tell you some more details about it then: Odenwaldmobil

It’s important to mention that most people in Darmstadt and Frankfurt speak English enough to communicate (just don’t start scientific discussions), and tell the way. In the Odenwald this can vary, though most kids learn English in School these days, and at tourist spots they also look for people speaking at least a bit English, so it is always a good idea to look there if you have problems.

Phew, that was a lot. Off to work I go!

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

- “esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!” Dennis added, and the wizard’s robe caught on fire. “Gosh,” Dennis said, “and some people say higher math isn’t relevant.”

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Hey, this is a great idea!

Unfortunately, I live in a totally different part of Germany, so I won’t be able to show up.

However, perhaps some of us can meet during Gamescom in August? Will some of you be there?
This would be another nice chance to meet and I’m sure that I could talk several adventure game developers into this as well. Any interest in that?

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Thanks for the info, Jaz!

Me and the missus are going to Austria again in May (a repeat of our honeymoon last year), and we I’ll drive, so we plan on stopping for the evening and night in the Frankfurt area (which is more or less the halfway point).

Even *if* I can’t make it in August, I can use this info in May… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’m pondering. Train or car??
And although I feel much better than last time(s), I think it will still be necessary to have a wheelchair handy for me so I can follow the whole day. I guess there will be quite a lot of walking involved, am I right? Is a wheelchair possible?

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

JackVanian - 03 April 2013 12:44 PM

Hey, this is a great idea!

Unfortunately, I live in a totally different part of Germany, so I won’t be able to show up.

However, perhaps some of us can meet during Gamescom in August? Will some of you be there?
This would be another nice chance to meet and I’m sure that I could talk several adventure game developers into this as well. Any interest in that?

I’ll be there Wink

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Do we have a date for the event already?

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

tsa - 04 April 2013 12:58 PM

I’m pondering. Train or car??
And although I feel much better than last time(s), I think it will still be necessary to have a wheelchair handy for me so I can follow the whole day. I guess there will be quite a lot of walking involved, am I right? Is a wheelchair possible?

Well, I’ve been thinking about this, and considering it all the time while planning. But I and Johannes have come to the conclusion that despite the Felsenmeer being in the forest, and certainly not the perfect place for a wheelchair, it is definitely possible. Also, the Restaurant I have planned to visit is at the top, with it’s own parking lot, so that should be no problem. Smile As for Lindenfels, despite being a small and old town, they’ve got a surprising lack of very rough cobblestone streets, so that should be no problem.

tsa - 04 April 2013 02:43 PM

Do we have a date for the event already?

We should really find a date though, I’ll have to reserve a table at some point after all. Smile

Nope, not yet I am afraid.

Maybe we should sum up who is coming/maybe coming to help us.

Okay:

Me & Johannes
Stepsie (and hopefully Mrs. Urhan too Wink )
You, if everything goes well. Smile
Any news from Luna and her friend?

I’ve been thinking, that if the visitor number remains so low, we can fit a trip to Lindenfels in too - we’d all fit in the VW T3 Bus, which would rule out transportation troubles that might usually cause. Of course it’s the more the merrier, but even if it’s only we few guys, we’ll have a great time, I think. Smile

By the way, I noticed I didn’t answer your question from the other thread yet. The Felsenmeer or “Sea of Rocks” is a huge trail of giant rocks that go down the entire mountain. They’ve been put there by the ice age, I think. It is awesome to look at, and there’s even remains of the romans who used it as a quarry.

TimovieMan - 04 April 2013 06:27 AM

Thanks for the info, Jaz!

Me and the missus are going to Austria again in May (a repeat of our honeymoon last year), and we I’ll drive, so we plan on stopping for the evening and night in the Frankfurt area (which is more or less the halfway point).

Even *if* I can’t make it in August, I can use this info in May… Grin

I was planning to get to your message soon, but I guess that took care of that. Grin

Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

By the way, I think maybe we could extend the possible dates a bit. I just chose the month that is the most sure to have warm weather, but September should work too. Any weekend apart from the one from the 20-22nd September will be fine with me (Johannes’ Birthday is on the 19th, so we will be having a party then. Smile ).

- Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’m available on any of the dates you mentioned. It may take some persuading of family members on certain dates, but I think I will survive their wrath Smile.

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

So, since we all seem to be pretty flexible concerning the date, I think I’ll suggest a more specific date now, so we all can start planning properly.

I think the best weekend would be he one from the the 23. August to the 25. August, since the weather is usually pretty good around that time.

Would that be alright with all of you?

- Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile  Smile

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Oi, I forgot. That’s my parents’ 46th wedding anniversary. I don’t think they like it if I’m not there. We missed their 45th one because I was in the hospital back then. So if it’s possible to do it a week earlier or later I would be pleased. If not, I will come anyway Smile.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top