• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How I survived 10 weeks without Internet

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Hi guys, I wanted to share with you an ordeal that I have gone through recently just to get my internet connected. I wrote up an article here about it: http://mmgn.com/Blogs/How-I-survived-10-weeks-without-Internet

Could you do it? I’m surprised I didn’t crack, to be honest. (Almost did towards the end though)

Currently playing: Starcraft II
Recently finished: Resonance, Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Diablo 3

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

Hey, another Australian! Good to meet you!

I had a similar predicament in 2005. It was Optus. Seems they’re all as dodgy as each other. Tongue

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Yay, you too! Good to see another Aussie here Smile

Yeah, I gathered as much. The monopoly here is shocking! Can’t wait until NBM comes in.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

“I’ve been using my phone to go on forums and email.”

That’s not “surviving without internet”, is it?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Technically, it’s “internet at home”

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2004-10-07

PM

Jubilee - 30 May 2012 07:05 AM

I have to agree. Surfing on your phone is not the same as using a computer. To start with, it’s a lot more exhausting.

There was a change of the telecommunications laws recently passed here in Germany, which introduces several improvements for the user. One of the most important points is that when switching to a different supplier of phone and/or Internet connection, the connection may only be seperated for one calendar day.  Heart Eyes

Also, when moving to another place, the supplier has to continue to supply the same services (if available. Otherwise the user may change supplier within a timeframe of three month without any additional troubles that usually come with prematurely terminating your communications contract) without automatically extending the contract as if it was an entirely new one. I also think the above point of only one day of being without connection may apply here, despite there not being a necessary change of supplier, though I am not sure about this last bit.

So yeah, huge improvements that I am sure most other people would appreciate. Not saying our government doesn’t do good at other times (they’re not perfect, and there’s always room for improvement. But I can honestly say, I am mostly happy how they are handling things for the most part.), but this decision? Pure genius!

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

- “esc(x) cot(x) dx = -csc(x)!” Dennis added, and the wizard’s robe caught on fire. “Gosh,” Dennis said, “and some people say higher math isn’t relevant.”

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

ROTFL! Your article is called How I survived 10 weeks without Internet. Technically, that’s lying. Grin You had internet on your phone, internet at your parent’s place, the internet cafe on weekends. Maybe internet at work too? I forgot. Grin And look at the bright side… all those wonderful things you did that you wouldn’t normally have done without the internet: learning how to cook, sorting out my new home, and interacting with my partner.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I would survive for a long time as long as I still have my electricity. I have so much games to play, movies to watch, books to read… probably wouldn’t have time to do those anyway because of kids so not much difference. I would just be watching TV instead of chatting here now and then, when I’m “on call”.

I definitely would need the internet for school stuff though, but I could just go and visit my school to finish up the needed tasks.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

^Yeah that’s basically what I did, watched a lot of TV series, read a lot of books, and played a lot of offline games. Now that I have the Internet, I’ve noticed my time devoted to other things has decreased a lot (and I’m getting some back pain and RSI which is not good).

Fien - 30 May 2012 08:00 AM

ROTFL! Your article is called How I survived 10 weeks without Internet. Technically, that’s lying. Grin You had internet on your phone, internet at your parent’s place, the internet cafe on weekends. Maybe internet at work too? I forgot. Grin And look at the bright side… all those wonderful things you did that you wouldn’t normally have done without the internet: learning how to cook, sorting out my new home, and interacting with my partner.

Lol come on people, no internet at home was bad enough! I wasn’t going to be cut off completely otherwise some functions would crumble (and yes I had internet at work). Internet cafe, phone internet, and internet at the parents were all temporary solutions to not having it at home.

But yes if you want to be technically correct it wasn’t entirely without The Internet.

Also the interacting with my partner thing just because there was no internet was a joke Tongue

Total Posts: 83

Joined 2006-09-15

PM

I survived 32 years without internet.

http://www.ted.com/
http://www.nature.org/
You don’t have to agree with what everyone says,
Just respect there right to say it

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

I would miss it, but I would not crack. What I love about internet is not just random browsing or social networks (a necessary evil), it’s the information. You can find anything that you’re curious about, it’s a great study tool for personal education.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top