• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Modern Noire games?

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Hello all,it’s been some time since I last posted on this forum!I missed you guys.I missed the adventure games.The last few months I’ve been playing other kinds of PC games.

Anyway,I wanted to ask you….are there any new or relatively modern Noire adventures?I mean good ones.I’ve been playing LA Noire of course,I got it months ago but I just want Detective style Noire adventures.And recent ones.

You see…Art of Murder didn’t exactly satisfy my hunger

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-02-14

PM

I wish I could go back and play LA Noire for the first time.  I love that game.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2006-03-06

PM

Let’s not forget Discworld Noir.

I HAVE A LAUREL! Grin

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I’m nearing the end of LA Noire after 25 hours or so played and I have to admit, it’s a problematic game for me.

While the story is entertaining, the actual game parts—the shootouts, car chases, tailing people on foot and fist fighting—range from serviceable to terrible.

The mechanics far outstay their welcome and are made worse by the repetitive nature of the cases. It feels like a game that should have been 10 hours, stretched to twice the length.

But by far the biggest letdown for me is the interrogations, which are never properly explained and basically boil down to this: Does the character maintain eye contact? If yes, select ‘Truth’ (even though they could be lying). If their eyes dart around in a hilariously suspicious fashion, select ‘Doubt’, unless you have strong evidence that they’re lying—then select ‘Lie’, but be warned! Picking a piece of incriminating evidence doesn’t always work, because they didn’t account for your picking it. Also, expect Cole to psychotically scream in the face of everyone you talk to, because the writing is weird.

Not as good as I thought it’d be, that’s for sure.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

orient - 23 February 2013 12:13 AM

But by far the biggest letdown for me is the interrogations, which are never properly explained and basically boil down to this: Does the character maintain eye contact? If yes, select ‘Truth’ (even though they could be lying). If their eyes dart around in a hilariously suspicious fashion, select ‘Doubt’, unless you have strong evidence that they’re lying—then select ‘Lie’, but be warned! Picking a piece of incriminating evidence doesn’t always work, because they didn’t account for your picking it. Also, expect Cole to psychotically scream in the face of everyone you talk to, because the writing is weird.

I had incredible trouble with the interrogations. Most of the time it was a total guess, so maybe I’m just not good at reading people. I knew before the game I would be a lousy policeman anyway Laughing

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Zifnab - 23 February 2013 02:23 AM

I had incredible trouble with the interrogations. Most of the time it was a total guess, so maybe I’m just not good at reading people. I knew before the game I would be a lousy policeman anyway Laughing

I think a lot of people struggled with the interrogations and it’s clear why. Firstly because, sometimes, Cole is on a completely different wavelength than the player, jumping to conclusions that you hadn’t even thought of. Secondly, the rules of interrogation are so ambiguous. Do you select ‘Lie’ only when the character’s lying directly to you, or do you just ‘Doubt’ when they’re simply withholding information? What happens if they lie unintentionally because they can’t remember something? Half the time I want to choose ‘Doubt’ but I don’t because I know Cole will go absolutely mental at the witness and I don’t want him to.

It’s a deeply flawed game, but I’m still enjoying it despite my frustration. The facial animation is superb, the world is beautifully crafted and some of the cases are really interesting. I just would’ve preferred if it was over about 5 hours ago.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Don’t forget the Tex Murphy games (Under a Killing Moon, Pandora Directive, Overseer). The best Detective Noir Adventure Games ever (according to me though) Smile OK they are not “modern” though, but they are still good.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

No no you see guys I said recent Noire games.Not Discworld Noire or Pandora Directive etc.

I’m talking about modern ones,new ones,recent ones.I have Gemini Rue and I love it.But any more good ones?

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

orient - 23 February 2013 12:13 AM

While the story is entertaining, the actual game parts—the shootouts, car chases, tailing people on foot and fist fighting—range from serviceable to terrible.

The mechanics far outstay their welcome and are made worse by the repetitive nature of the cases. It feels like a game that should have been 10 hours, stretched to twice the length.

That’s why they made all those things skippable. But I agree, every mechanic is clunky. That’s why I avoided regular driving by letting my partner drive everywhere, and skipped all street crime altogether.
In the end, I recall one hard gunfight (at the old movie set where you face dozens of gangsters), one hard car chase (the one that took you to the L.A. river), one hard tail (where tailing from the other side of the street proved to be my solution) and one VERY hard foot chase (near the end, where you’re running away from a bulldozer as Jack Kelso).

As for recent noir games, both Hotel Dusk and Last Window for the DS have been mentioned, but I’d like to add Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past - a really superb noir visual novel. It’s only for the DS, though.

Does anybody know if Face Noir is any good? I’ve seen some ads for it…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2010-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 23 February 2013 07:36 AM

Does anybody know if Face Noir is any good? I’ve seen some ads for it…

It has a very nice noir atmosphere (wonderful soundtrack). In general I would say it’s quite ok - definitely not bad, but also nothing extraordinary overwhelming.

I’m not sure if i like the direction in which the story seems to go, but I’m curious about the sequel.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2006-03-06

PM

Telltale’s Sam and Max: Season 3 has noir moments, particularly in episode 2 and 3. Especially in 3. XD

I HAVE A LAUREL! Grin

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 23 February 2013 02:23 AM

Zifnab if you are really that poor at reading people then: I am a nigerian prince with a lot of money that i can’t get out of nigeria on my own…. Grin

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Iznogood - 24 February 2013 06:52 AM

Zifnab if you are really that poor at reading people then: I am a nigerian prince with a lot of money that i can’t get out of nigeria on my own…. Grin

Wait, why haven’t I heard of this? I wired you the money! Best of luck!

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top