• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Remakes ,Sequels or New IPs from the famous classics’s Developers/Designers ? (Poll)

Poll: Would you Rather See Famous Devs Making ...
Total Votes: 52
Remakes for their Classic Adventures
Sequels of their famous IPS
New & Fresh Concepts/IPs

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

That is it! Wink ,

The title i guess has already explained the controversial idea that is in my head i want to know about from others.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-04-18

PM

I’d definitely be more interested in either seeing a return of old favourites or something entirely new if there was already closure with a previous series. Remakes are only great if it’s reintroducing the game to a new audience.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Remakes are redundant in nature. Just play the original game, and keep its release date in mind before you comment on “outdated graphics” or stuff like that. Unless it’s a complete re-imagining that differs greatly, they should be avoided, imo. And even then it begs the question if they’re really remakes or not…

Sequels of famous IPs are good, especially if they actually have a good story to tell within the original game universe. I’m all for Dreamfall Chapters and the likes (where a lot was left open in previous games and the new game expands on that), and I’m also in favour of games that manage to keep a consistent quality throughout (never change a winning team and all that).

But the best thing is always new and fresh IPs because that’s also where most of the innovation lies. Only rarely does a sequel to a known IP switch things up completely in terms of story or gameplay, but with new IPs: the sky is the limit.

For the genre as a whole: the thing that pushes the boundaries the most is always going to be new IPs…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1076

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Who are these famous developers you asking about?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m a sucker for sequels. I could play Curse of Monkey Island-style sequels forever and stay happy. Same goes for games like Uncharted - just give me a new one every year and I’d be satisfied action-wise with that one franchise.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 22 February 2013 02:21 PM

Who are these famous developers you asking about?

my bad gabe
famous adventure gaming classics’s developers

Total Posts: 1076

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I think most of them trying to do all options you asked, but who’s gonna succed on new & fresh concepts highly doubt will come out from classics’s developers.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

New and fresh for me. I’m okay with all three, but I think some developers feel shackled by gamers’ interest to only see them revisit older IPs. It’s the equivalent of being typecast.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

The great thing about Sierra was that while the people there did sequels they managed to keep them fresh, to innovate within them. Just look at Gabriel Knight: every entry in the series is radically different from the others just in presentation: the first features 8-bit pixel art, the second FMVs with actors, the third 3D.
So I don’t think sequels necessarily stifle innovation, they certainly didn’t for Sierra.
I personally love to be told multiple stories set in the same fictional world, to have a fictional place I can always return to, learn something new from and that continues to expand.

But as a career choice, it seems to be smarter for a designer to strife to create new universes. It seems to me that many people are skeptical that Jane Jensen could do anything as well as the Gabriel Knight games, probably because they barely know anything else from her (and dislike Gray Matter, maybe). But with Tim Schafer, he created new worlds with every game he made, and explored multiple story and game genres to boot, so I think fans are much less anxious that his next game might suck because it’s so different.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Although I hate the overabundance of sequels in Hollywood, I actually voted for them here. If you look at what all the old designers are doing now—Jane Jensen, the Two Guys from Andromeda, the Coles, Jim Walls—they’re basically just making imitations of their old games anyway (one exception being Schafer and Gilbert). I bet if the poll specified the designer, the results would be quite different. If it were asking whether Al Lowe should make Larry 8 or something original, or whether Ron Gilbert should make Monkey Island 3a or something original, then it would be hard not to go with the sequel.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 22 February 2013 03:57 PM

I’m a sucker for sequels. I could play Curse of Monkey Island-style sequels forever and stay happy. Same goes for games like Uncharted - just give me a new one every year and I’d be satisfied action-wise with that one franchise.

Same here. I love the Uncharted franchise, so much so, that I spent a fortune trying to find action-adventures that (according to my tastes) could measure up with it. No luck (though I’ve some high hopes for the upcoming Tombraider).

A world that produces Curse-style sequels on an annual basis, now that sounds like paradise to me. I’d happily donate my left leg and half a kidney to Kickstarter for that!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Lagomorph - 23 February 2013 10:54 AM

I bet if the poll specified the designer, the results would be quite different.

So would you rather see James Walls ...
1. Remaking PQ2: The Vengeance
2. Police Quest 5, or
3. A New IP that isn’t connected to Sonny or Jessie
(maybe even something Sci-Fi like Bladerunner for instance... you do know that he was credited there for consulting) ..

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I like the way the votes are going: very few for remakes, quite a few for sequels and a lot for new IPs. That’s more or less how I prefer games to be developed: little to no remakes, some sequels but mostly new IPs. Grin

Actually, does it have to be from the famous classic’s developers/designers?
Can’t it just be from ANY adventure game designers? There’s a bunch of good ones in the current generation of developers, you know… Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Great two Points Timo

TimovieMan - 23 February 2013 08:24 PM

I like the way the votes are going: very few for remakes, quite a few for sequels and a lot for new IPs. That’s more or less how I prefer games to be developed: little to no remakes, some sequels but mostly new IPs. Grin

i like that too but i believe/feel that the results so far are not really reliable enough; ask anyone would you rather had seen J.J making the 4th part for GK instead of the current being developed Moebius and we all have an idea what the answer (previously) will be.

TimovieMan - 23 February 2013 08:24 PM

Actually, does it have to be from the famous classic’s developers/designers?
Can’t it just be from ANY adventure game designers? There’s a bunch of good ones in the current generation of developers, you know… Innocent

that may be more efficient but then we would had to exclude remakes out of the poll cuz if any designer would be included then those who had released their 1st adventure game within the last 1-3 years would not be counted .. and i do not think gamers/adventurers crave for remakes that fast.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

As always it depends. I prefer new IPs in general, but there are also types of adventure that really lend themselves for sequels.

Take comedy adventures for instance. They usually leave room for more stories and having characters return makes it easier to make good jokes, as you are already familiar with them and know what their idiosyncrasies are. The same can be said for the detective/PI/treasure hunter/whatever kind of approach where you can introduce a new case every time, while also evolving the characters (Blackwell, Gabriel Knight, Tex). I don’t mind sequels to these games as it doesn’t feel forced. But even then there is the possibility of stretching it too far and the setting and/or characters becoming too stale. In that sense, I usually prefer that developers switch while the games are still excellent so that later games don’t sully the name. See for example the difference between typical American television shows and British ones. The former often run as long as there are enough viewers (not always, especially on HBO) stretching the story and the characters too thin, while British television series regularly end after only a couple of seasons of 6-8 episodes each. I really prefer the latter approach. 

However, there are also many adventures that have real closure, where a sequel wouldn’t add to the original or might even detract from it. An obvious example would be Grim Fandango here, but it’s also quite often the case for horror games and (psychological) thrillers. These often present complete stories with no open ends and a definitive fate for the characters and thrive on the unfamiliarity of the player with the setting and characters. Sequels just wouldn’t have the same impact here.

That being said, there were also quite a few recent games where I felt the setting and characters could have been explored more, such as Primordia, Yesterday and some Daedalic games. It’s quite often the case that the relationship between characters isn’t fleshed out enough or that the games end when you finally get attached to the characters. Or in the case of Yesterday, there is this potentially rich backstory to the main character that is hardly explored as the game is over in a flash (budget restraints probably). A case of wasted potential that might be/have been corrected with a sequel. But the were no famous developers behind these games, so this should be taken as an aside. Wink 

So as I said at the beginning, it depends. There is no one-size-fits-all answer here.   

(and the developers often don’t have a choice as they don’t own the rights to the IPs, which is why quite a few of them are making spiritual successors)

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Advie - 23 February 2013 07:41 PM
Lagomorph - 23 February 2013 10:54 AM

I bet if the poll specified the designer, the results would be quite different.

So would you rather see James Walls ...
1. Remaking PQ2: The Vengeance
2. Police Quest 5, or
3. A New IP that isn’t connected to Sonny or Jessie
(maybe even something Sci-Fi like Bladerunner for instance... you do know that he was credited there for consulting) ..

I haven’t yet played any of Jim Walls’s games, so I don’t really know.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top